Questoin about SF Gaurd/Resv units

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Boattail173
Ranger

Questoin about SF Gaurd/Resv units

Post by Boattail173 »

Whats up fellow Rangers...I am thinking about joining a SF Gaurd/Resv unit, but I have a couple of questions first.

-Do you need to be tabbed out (18 series) to go into SF Gaurd/Resv?
-Being a former Ranger (MOS 11c) what would I do in the unit?
-Would I be able to attened SFAS/Q course? What other military shcools would be available?
-I know SF Gaurd/Resv deploy, would I or would I have to wait until I was 18 series?

Thanks for the info

RLTW
RangerDC

Post by RangerDC »

Boattail,

Let me preface my response by saying I have never been to SFAS, am not currently in any NG or reserve unit and the information I have is from my own research into the same questions.
Do you need to be tabbed out (18 series) to go into SF Gaurd/Resv?
- No. 1st of all there are no reserve SF units. There are 2 ARNG SF groups, 19th and 20th. Email me and I will send you all of the POC info. Also, you do not have to be tabbed out (18 series) to get into an ARNG SF group. In fact, they are recruiting pretty hard right now.
Being a former Ranger (MOS 11c) what would I do in the unit?
- You will be assigned to a platoon that preps you to go to SFAS. When you and your unit think you are ready for SFAS, then you go active duty TDY to SFAS.
Would I be able to attened SFAS/Q course?
- Yes. In fact you have too. After completion of SFAS, which is now phase I, you have from 1 - 2 years to attend the Q-course. You must attend the Q-course straight through, so depending on your MOS you are looking at 1 - 1.5 years on active duty.
What other military shcools would be available?
- I can't answer that, sorry.
I know SF Gaurd/Resv deploy, would I or would I have to wait until I was 18 series?
- I can't answer that with much confidence either. I remember someone, may have been Pete, that told me right after 9/11 the guys that had completed SFAS but not the Q-course did deploy. But that is the limit on my info about that.

I have the email address of a few guys that are doing exactly what we are talking about, and most of my info comes from them.

I hope this helps.
Boattail173
Ranger

Thanks

Post by Boattail173 »

Thanks DC that helps...I will let you guys know what happens.

RLTW
Master J

Post by Master J »

I just got done with all the paper work and have all the info and requirements from A-Z on floppy (19th sf)Yes they are recruiting hard,however there are some things they are lookin at pretty hard.Don't want to get into OP but you better be prepared for lots of schoolin.pm me if you want the disc.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”