Hodgkin's Disease Lymphoma

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Tough hit on the Lymphoma. Keep the faith and be motivated. Enrole in an ON-line university to continue your education, you can never have enough. Stay busy.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: Hodgkin's Disease Lymphoma

Post by hit_it »

Shouji wrote:Hello good Rangers, I just found out today that I have Lymphoma, Hodgkin's Disease. I am 17 years old, and I wish for nothing to stop me from fulfilling my dream of becoming a Ranger, but I cannot fight against the rules. I have heard that you must be free of cancer for 5 years before you join the Army, but my father who is retired from over 20 years service said that he knew a couple people who had other various cancers but still served. I wish to hear from you all what the facts are, as I do not want to do anything illegal, but if my joining eligibility is halted for 5 years, than I will wait it out. But as of now, if I am not able to join, I have no idea what I will do as I just graduated High School and had already made up my mind to enlist so I did not apply to any colleges.
You can serve, once you have waited the required time and pass through the waiver process.

I know Hodgkin's is a big disease so I commend you and wish you good luck in your treatment.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Attend a community college & work through all the "intro-to-everything" courses that a 4 year degree would require.
Then move on & get that 4 year degree.
By then, if you're still cancer free (a big part of beating the C is ATTITUDE, as this site's founder has demonstrated!) and still want to pursue the military option, then you'll have the possibility of becoming an officer.

Best of luck and never, ever quit!
Keep us posted.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

There is a reference to Army Regulation 40-501/ Standards of Medical Fittness here:
viewtopic.php?t=22745

It will have all the answers to your medical questions. Get as much of your college knocked out as everyone said. If you do wind up enlisting having a degree will help with faster promotion.

Good luck!
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Shouji wrote:Thank you good men for all your help and advice, I will be sure to follow them. I guess I will knock out as much college as I can even though I did not plan on becoming an officer at all. Just wondering though, is there any person I could talk to that could make an exception for me incase I get better within 3 years or so?

Thank you all again.
If the waiting period is 5 years, there is no exception for that.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Keep in mind that a lot of Rangers are a little older than typical recruits and have college degrees (I'm talking EMs). Put the Ranger goal out about 300 meters. Knock down the Cancer target first. Best of luck and stay strong.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Cielo and Shouji, with your attitudes you are both on your ways to great futures. Drive on and make your own luck.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

I would recommend reading Lance Armstrong's book "Its not about the bike".

While I don't think you lack any personal motivation, just look at it as another tool for your box.

God speed and get better soon.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)

Return to “Recruitment Process”