Question for the Guard guys

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
testedone

Question for the Guard guys

Post by testedone »

Hello Rangers! Looking for some advice/opinions (I know they will vary)

I am looking at trying to get into a LRS unit, I found out I can but I have to take a reduction in rank from E5 to E4. Here is my quandary, I was prior service so I have a total of 12 years I "should" make E6 pretty soon at my current unit (Infantry)...my goal is within the next 4 years to go active, now if I can't pick up E6 or it is not possible within the next 3-4 years at a LRS unit then I can't go active because of RCP (retention Control Point)..

My concern is not to make rank because I am wanting to be a big shot, I just want to avoid the RCP if I do go active...

I ask because I assume that within a LRS unit being smaller and more specialized you don't get a lot of turn over so at least with the guard someone needs to retire etc..etc.. to open up billets..

Any advice?

Thanks
testedone

Post by testedone »

I am in IL, the unit I am looking at is in IN. I spoke with a board member from another board (might be on this one also) who put me in contact with the recruiter for the area and he gave me a great list of options after he spoke with the RNCO for the unit.

The recruiter is also a member of the unit and has been great dealing with me on information.

Thing is I am on a try one with the ILARNG which is up in November so my timing is right...except.....we are supposed to mobilize soon...I don't mind going (I want to) but my career path is also of a concern.

my last 2 PT tests have been over 300 in my age bracket (43) and a score of 297 in the 17-21 scale so I need to improve some more...(can't seem to break the 79 situp point) :evil:
testedone

Post by testedone »

yep, they are or have moved to a company size already.

I have no problem with trying to come up to speed quickly by going to RS & Airborne ...I would love it!! :shock:

My gut feeling is this and I can understand why...I think that going into an established LRS unit as an E5 and not being tabbed or airborne can make someone wonder if you have what it takes.. I remember when I was looking at (if I would have made it through) going to a seal team as an E6 (I was an E6 in BUD/S) I thought holly mackerla I have no experience...

I was told they are having tryouts for PL's soon and I should show up for that, just to show the section Sergeants what I got...

I hate to take a drop in rank but I guess if I have to I have to....decisions decisions...
testedone

Post by testedone »

vossman wrote:Testedone, if you have not joined the Guard before I highly recommend the "try it for a year option" It is what I did when I joined. At worst you can get out after a year if it isn't what you want. I insisted on keeping my rank when I joined (SGT) and it worked out great for me. I joined an aviation unit not LRS, but it was my second choice.
I can tell you more but I have my boy by myself today and he is going nuts on my keyboard. Hope this helps a bit!
Lee
Yes I am in the Guard now with a infantry company, problem is the company does not have any Airborne or ranger requirements...So I trying to get where I can best be used...because I love this stuff!!!
testedone

Post by testedone »

Well I spoke with the folks at the unit I want to go to and we plan to proceed with the paperwork tomorrow to get me xfered over to the LRS unit...

Problem is I told my unit about my intentions and they said i am being stop lossed for the deployment at the end of August (no opsec here it is in the news)

problem I don't understand is that we are not under MOB orders yet and today was the first I was told we were stop lossed???

Is that possible?
testedone

Post by testedone »

I was told that it was 90 days prior to MOB, which we are at...but like you said this is the first I have heard we are stop loss.

I joined the National Guard on a Try one program...which the try one (1 year) is up in November.... So not sure if under the try one they can stop me.

Don't get me wrong I want to deploy but no matter how long I stay at my current unit I will never get a chance to go to airborne or Ranger and the LRS unit affords me that opportunity. After talking to a few guys from that unit I REALLY need to get to that unit :D I am taking a drop from E5 to E4 to get to the unit...

There has got to be a way...
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

testedone wrote:Problem is I told my unit about my intentions and they said i am being stop lossed for the deployment at the end of August (no opsec here it is in the news)

problem I don't understand is that we are not under MOB orders yet and today was the first I was told we were stop lossed???

Is that possible?
They like most Guard Units are fucking liars, If your new unit is outside of 100 miles they can ETADIK, transfer. I did and never even went to my old unit to clear and my new unit was just down the road from the old one.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
testedone

Post by testedone »

The new unit is about 300 miles from me in another state....5-6 hour drive..

What is ETADIK
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

testedone wrote: What is ETADIK
sound it out
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
testedone

Post by testedone »

:roll:

Uh I get it....guess I was looking for the super secret acronym....

Thanks for straightening me out :oops:
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

testedone wrote::roll:

Uh I get it....guess I was looking for the super secret acronym....

Thanks for straightening me out :oops:
Each of those letters do mean something, but you don't have a high enough security clearance to see the words. Most Rangers never see all the words, and are only allowed to see one word each. With cutouts and dead drops all the words may be assembled, but only a Presidential mandate will allow anyone to know the whole acronym.

Now that you have read this, remain in place. Someone will come by shortly and pick you up. By the way you have a stain on your shirt. Left side.

:roll:

No the other left.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85

Return to “Reconnaissance”