Ruck Time Opinions needed

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
testedone

Ruck Time Opinions needed

Post by testedone »

Hey Rangers, been doing a ruck once a week (6-10 miles) with a 55 pound pack (before I put my camelbak on) and my pace has been between 13:30 & 14:00 per mile.

The route I go has a lot of hills and I run up the hilly area's is this a good pace or do I need it to be better?

Thanks fro any input..
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Tenn-RGR wrote:Looks good so far. Stop ruck running though.
x2 dont overtrain and cause an injury
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
testedone

Post by testedone »

Thanks Rangers for the advice, It is not really a run but an airborne shuffle, is that ok to do on a once a week basis or should I lower the weight of the ruck?
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

I never trained for rucking and never had a problem, even in the heavy ass Mortar section (70-90lb rucks at times). The time standard for a 12 mile ruck is 3:00, or at least it was when I was in, or 15:00 miles. 45 lbs was the weight of the ruck I think, at least for the EIB it was.

Make sure you stretch before rucking and pay attention to the muscles on your shins. Rucking seemed to result in a lot of stress fractures and shin splints.

As a side note mountain biking is a great cross training exercise to improve your rucking. Uses many of the same muscles groups in the same ways.

Have fun
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
testedone

Post by testedone »

Charlie 51 wrote: As a side note mountain biking is a great cross training exercise to improve your rucking. Uses many of the same muscles groups in the same ways.

Have fun
Love that idea.

A good friend of mine who was SF (went into the chaplaincy) said the same thing, he never practiced for ruck marches... After the few I have done on my own and the few in the schools I have been to they are not that hard, keeping a good pace is hard, I just want to make sure I can keep a good pace for a long distance

Return to “About Army Physical Training”