Sig 5.56

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Rangerguru
Ranger

Sig 5.56

Post by Rangerguru »

I've been looking into picking up a piston operated weapon, and I found a Sig 5.56 for about $1400, the MSRP is about a hunder more than that, but I haven't seen any reviews on it, or maybe my google fu just isn't very good.
Do any of you gun nuts have any experience with this weapon? and if so, what are you thoughts on it.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Horned Toad
Ranger

Re: Sig 5.56

Post by Horned Toad »

Rangerguru wrote:I've been looking into picking up a piston operated weapon, and I found a Sig 5.56 for about $1400, the MSRP is about a hunder more than that, but I haven't seen any reviews on it, or maybe my google fu just isn't very good.
Do any of you gun nuts have any experience with this weapon? and if so, what are you thoughts on it.
Heard a lot of gripes compared to the military version. I would think if you want a piston gun look at LWRC
http://www.lwrifles.com/

POF makes a piston upper, but I still remember when their web site said pakistani ord. factory and they were big into HK parts, I just have a hard time dealing with that.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Rangerguru wrote:I've been looking into picking up a piston operated weapon, and I found a Sig 5.56 for about $1400, the MSRP is about a hunder more than that, but I haven't seen any reviews on it, or maybe my google fu just isn't very good.
Guy at the gunstore has one, likes it, but says his is 4 moa and he heard that's typical....
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

There's a article/review on it in the Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement, by Harris Publications, issue dated February 2008 .

I definitely think pistons are the way to go, if you're looking at a new rifle today.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

TC204 wrote:
BadMuther wrote:
Guy at the gunstore has one, likes it, but says his is 4 moa and he heard that's typical....
It's all about what you want it for, if it's precision shooting skip this one. If it's for home defense, general target/plinking/training or a "when the shit hits the fan" rifle, then it's a good choice. There are better M4 clones available for the same money, or less.
I hear ya...for that price, I want it to shoot like any other M4...NOT like my crappy Mak-90 tho.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Interesting AK observations from warriortalk...

We hear all manner of things about what a poor weapon the Kalashnikov is. Usually these comments come from the gun mafia types who run certain magazines and certain shooting schools. We recently got this at the warriortalk forum.

The AK at 600 Yards / "Frozen Chosin" AAR

Worland Wy, this weekend. we had 16 people show, 3 WT'ers. guns shot included, ar-15, 3 AK's, M1 Garands, M14, AR-10, SVT-40, XCR, Rem 700 sniper.

day 1
classic iron sighted rifles performed as expected on the 300-50 match. with the garand taking a 240 out of 300 and the SVT-40 139 out of 300. the AR-10 scoped took high honors tho, beating the garand shooter.

in the human wave attack, the garands performed much lower than the 20-30 round mag fed rifles getting off less than 75 rounds in 3 min. the mag feds did markedly better with the highest score going to an AK that managed 98 rounds and 89% hits. The XCR was on the way to domination when it Kaboomed.

day 2
we just sighted our guns and farted around on steel out to 600. Now I know this defy's conventional wisdom and everyone was really amazed at the results, BUUUT heres what we saw the AK do.

We sighted out to 300 on pulled and marked targets using stock IRON sights.

We moved back to 400 and proceeded to put rounds on steel with a spotter calling shots. using a Romanian wasr with a romy folder I was able to get about 85% hits on steel from prone with no problem. a few flyers and some shooter error were mostly responsible for misses. results were repeated by 4 other shooters on my gun and a VEPR as well.

At 500 we attempted again. we adjusted sights using only the factory ramp settings throughout the experiment having zeroed earlier out to 300. Once again we were able to obtain 80% hits with relative ease using the "200 yard" AK. Once again we verified using another shooter.

Back to 600!! once again spotted shots with wasr/folder. despite my best efforts I couldn't keep them on the steel more that 20% of the time.

600 seems to be the crossover point on a mansized target using ball ammo and service grade rifle. I have confirmed this with several rifles and feel that after 500 one must use a much more capable gun and ammo to consistently make hits. a rest/pack/bipod is alomost required at this range as well.

Ammo I was using was 762x39 Wolf 122gr HP black box. steel was 16"w x 36"h shaped like a sillouete. 5 mph half value wind at 25f and 4050ft elev. with a slight cow manure taste to the air.

comments

-the x39 was not really whacking the gong at these ranges and you could usually only hear a slight 'tink' it was definitly running out of gas at these ranges.

-the factory ramp sight settings seemed to be right on.

-the front sight is wider than the target, but by using a 6 o'clock hold and centering the target on the sight post, you can still be fairly accurate.

-i was using a pack and the mag for a rest. sometimes a loose mag would cause a failure to feed if i put pressure on the mag wrong. this might be gun related or mag related. not sure.

-I have wrapped the romy folder with some gauze then overwrapped with electrical tape. it's actually quite comfortable, looks fine and does not interfere with operation. the stock is not wobly in the least and fairly comfortable to shoot overall.

-the WASR was bone stock except for the folder, and prints about 4-5 MOA when i checked it with this ammo a coupla weeks ago.

-whoever told you that you cant hit with an AK at 500, lied to you. It's VERY doable.

-hopefully one of the other guys will back me upon this so I dont look like a big liar.

Jack
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I broke down and bought one.

$1000

The shop owner said that other guy's sig was a fluke, and he's heard nothing but good things about the sig. (as have I.) It has no sights, so when it gets some, I'll let you know how it shoots.

J
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

I picked one up today and I have already put a couple hundred rounds through it. Very nice shhoting weapon and the trigger is excelent. No sights came with it, so I had to buy an aimpoint. I got mine for $1100 new in the box.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04

Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

1100 for a gun with no sights, did they give you a red coat also :twisted:
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

FYI, I zeroed this a few months back and it was a tack driver!!!

Really happy with it!

Return to “Weapons of War”