Crossfit and Formation PT

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Keep in mind that Crossfit was around long before it had a cool name...

Gorilla Drills
Grass Drills
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Southoftheborder wrote:
Silverback wrote:Keep in mind that Crossfit was around long before it had a cool name...

Gorilla Drills
Grass Drills
Sorta, but the management of Crossfit has taken a decidedly more "measured" approach to the concept. I don't think there was as guided a thought process to the mixture of high-weight/low reps, low weight/high reps, cardio, and a focus on core strength before -- certainly not in the military. And certainly not with the idea that "less can be good, too."

I'm obviously coming at this from the POV of someone who has taken of the poison kool-aid, but I still think these guys have improved upon what was previously separated disciplines.

I do admit that maybe the reason I like it, is that I'm simply too old now to beat myself like before. And I've convinced myself (I "think" its true), that I am almost as quick and strong now, as I was 10 years ago working out 1-2 hours per day -- and I don't work out that long now....
I understand...my point was that you can achieve any program you want, as long as you present it in the right package.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Silverback wrote:Keep in mind that Crossfit was around long before it had a cool name...

Gorilla Drills
Grass Drills
I thought that was the kind of thing he was talking about. (never heard of "crossfit")

The PT program that 1SG Pickering hipped us to in the team leaders course was exactly this. He wanted us to move away from the "smoke-em-till-they-puke" mentality and do better PT. He wanted us to focus on quality, but use what we had at hand. Instead of kettlebells, a sand filled ammo can, or #10 can with concrete and a piece of rope. One of the best and easiest I thought was the partner resisted exercises with a towel. He gave us specifics too. I still remember the formula for timing the Fartlek run training.
Over an eight week period we wound up doing a week of swimming, a week of football drills, a week of weights, a week of soccer drills, a week of long distance running, etc.

This is the same thing he wanted us to do. I guess the bottom line is who directs your PT program. If they feel there is value in doing the same thing over and over again, you're fucked. However, if you have some input, grab FM 21-20 and get creative.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Crossfit and Formation PT

Post by Disinfertention »

GACadet wrote:I'm going to be a 3 this year, and every now and then I'll get to run pt.

Any suggestions on how to do some murderous CF style pt while maintaining the scalability related to certain fitness levels?

Has anyone had success blending Crossfit and the sometimes droll nature of formation pt? We obviously don't have a dozen rowers or a pile of medicine balls and kettlebells . . . . so what kind of equipment would suffice?

I was thinking something like weighted interval runs around the building thrown in with some BW exercises and stuff like that. Tabata everything, et cetera.

The only problem is, my cadre has this one track 1hr pt mentality, and if the workout only takes 15 minutes but we're smoked, what the hell should I do with the other 15 minutes, given the requisite stretching and all that Hooah stuff they like to do at the formation level.

To get to the point, has anyone had any experience blending formation PT with Crossfit who could give me some sound advice?

Any replies are appreciated, Rangers and other applicable gentlemen.
With all the new happiness around for PT a lot of the time people blow off good old fashion Pull ups/Chin ups... sit ups(abs)/pushups and some dips... There is a time and a place for everything. I'd say do the cool guy stuff on your own time and keep it APFT type business in the mornings. Especially if you only have 15 to 30 minutes. Not saying you can't do an effective crossfit workout, but who are you trying to impress? Do you guys get graded on creativity?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “About Army Physical Training”