MEMORIAL DAY

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Rocky
LRRP/Ranger

MEMORIAL DAY

Post by Rocky »

THIS IS THE MESSAGE THAT I POSTED ON MY YAHOO 360 BLOG THIS MORNING.

MEMORIAL DAY A DAY OF REMEMBRANCE
Traditionally, May 30th was set aside for the observance of Memorial Day but, due to changes in the way our government has stated we should observe Memorial Day, the date changes each year. Be that as it may, to me, the important part of this day is Remembrance. That is, it is an official day set aside for us to remember our fallen warriors. Those of us who have fought in war need no specific day to remember the buddies we lost in the course of what ever war we may have fought in, nor, do the families of those who have lost loved ones need a specific day to remember, for all of us, warrior and families alike, remember those we have lost. In fact, our loses will always be in our memory and we will never forget those we have lost.

Over the years Memorial Day has become just another "holiday," a day on which we gather as a family, or with friends, to enjoy a day off work, go to the beach, or have a picnic, go fishing or just celebrate the coming of summer after a long winter. It has become so much of a holiday that people, and I wish to offend no one here in saying this but it is true, say to others Happy Memorial Day. This happens I feel simply because people don't know what else to say to express themselves to another in regards to this day know as Memorial Day. In reality, however, if one thinks about it would one say "Happy Wake Day" or Happy Funeral Day"? Of course we would not say something like that to another person who we would know was emotionally troubled by the death of someone they knew or loved. Yet, we say Happy Memorial Day without thinking, really, as to how those words might effect the person to whom we say them. I pen this not to cause anyone hard feelings but to cause us all to think about what we are saying when we voice the words "Happy Memorial Day."

In so thinking, we must come up with some other words to express ourselves to others when we want to say something to express our feelings to them on this day of remembrance, but what do we say? Perhaps we could say, "May you have a peaceful Memorial Day," or "Have a meaningful Memorial Day," or something befitting the meaning of the day itself. I don't pretend to have an answer to this question, what do we say? I am as perplexed as the next person as to finding the right words to say. I just feel that saying "Happy Memorial Day" is not fitting, or as our political leader might say, "Politically Correct." Forgive me for say those words and the words "Politically Correct" drive me up a wall as it applies to so much BS. I do know that as a veteran who has lost way too many brothers in combat that when someone says to me, "Have a Happy Memorial Day" I cringe, although I know in my heart that the speaker of these words only means to wish me well.

I wish I could coin a phrase befitting this day of memorial, of remembrance but I am at a loss to find the right and fitting words. Perhaps, we, meaning all who view this blog, can come up with a fitting salutation to express to others, words that well let them know that we care about them and acknowledge their loss. We need to find words that we can say when calling up the mother who has lost a child in war, or a wife who has lost a husband, a child who has lost a parent, a war brother/sister with whom we share a loss, to express our feelings of caring for them and acknowledging their loss.

We need to find words that do not confuse our children when we teach them about the true meaning of Memorial Day. Can you imagine the confusion we must cause a child when we tell them that Memorial Day is a day set aside to remember those people who gave their lives in the service of our country and then they hear us say to another "Happy Memorial Day?" In the same light, how confused must our children be when we go out and celebrate Memorial Day by going to the beach, having a picnic and appearing to be joyous in everything we do on this day?

This is not to say that we should be solemn or sad but we should, I feel, at least have a moment of reverence in memory of those who have given their lives so that we might have a picnic, go to the beach or just have the day off work. We need to teach our children that what they have in life, all the things that they consider fun and joyful, came to them by someone paying a very high price. We need to teach our children not to take freedom lightly or for granted. They need to know and to learn that "Freedom Is Not Free."

Perhaps a way to educate our children about Memorial Day and it's true meaning would be to invite a veteran to share time with your family on this day, or, perhaps the mother, wife or child of a veteran. Perhaps we should say to others "Have a Thankful Memorial Day," to remind them to thank a veteran and be thankful that so many brave Americans gave their full measure so that all of us might be free. Perhaps Memorial Day should be a day of Thankful Memory.

To all my veterans brothers and sisters I say "Thank you for your service."

To all my departed veteran brothers and sisters I say, "Thank you for my freedom and for your selfless sacrifice."

To all who have lost a friend or loved one in the service of our country I say, "Thank you for your sacrifice, you are not forgotten just as your friend or loved one is not forgotten."

To all America I say, "May you have a Thankful Memorial Day!"

God Bless America and all who have given to make her and keep her free!
Rocky
Charlie 75th Rangers '69-'70
Tango Lima, TM 1-1 Satan's Playboys
4/503, 173rd Airborne Brigade '67-'68
(survivor Hill 875 Dak To '67)
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Amen to that.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Nice words, Rocky. I too have given this matter thought over the years. When someone says "Happy Memorial Day" to me me, I reply with "Remember our fallen. It is to them we owe everything." A lot of times I get a strange look in response followed by awkward silence.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “The Mosh Pit”