Officer branch to Regiment

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Lugnuttz
Ranger

Post by Lugnuttz »

I've seen MI, signal, field artillery, medical, chemical, and chaplains at the battalion level. Don't know if there are any additional branches at the regimental level.
HHC 3/75 BN Commo 01-04
RGR Class 03-03
Lugnuttz
Ranger

Post by Lugnuttz »

Desert Sloth wrote:
SpearmintRhino wrote:Thank you Ranger Lugnuttz for your answer.
If I may ask for clarification, do those officers serve in a staff capacity, or would they be leading a detachement of MOS-related enlisted soldiers? or both?
At what rank do they attain service at BN or RGT? do you see any 2LT's or just 1LT's and above?
What is the longevity of their service with the Rangers? Are they subject to rotation back to other units or can they stay in that unit for whatever amount of time?
My interest lies in IN,SC and EN, possibly MI because of my languages.
Thanks in advance.
Most of them are solo attached at the Battalion Level. For FA...they are usually attached to the CO at Company level (I think) and are in charge of the FOs. As for the rest of them, they are at the Battalion level. Most of them do lead a group of MOS specific fellas.

The normal Tour of Duty for an officer in Battalion is 1-2 years. Then they move on to other units. Most I seem to recall either go back to the 82nd/101st or go SF. Some of them have been known to try out for SFOD-D. I know of a couple that did...one of which is still with them, the other has tried out twice and got washed.
Each company is assigned a company fire support officer and their also a BN fire support officer who works on the staff. The rest work on the staff like DS said and are task organized into the different C2 elements.
HHC 3/75 BN Commo 01-04
RGR Class 03-03
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

I don't know what the preference is now however when I was at Regiment I knew that Senior Leadership looked for Officers who had served in Korea more than any other location 2nd Div, especially illregardless of your MOS they look for experience in combat readiness. If you were anywhere near the DMZ and Plt Leader of signal, artillery or any infantry unit. I would think that would still remain a constant in terms of "positioning" yourself for consideration.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”