68W/OPT40 Availability

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
BenningBrat
Embryo

68W/OPT40 Availability

Post by BenningBrat »

Tonight I am going to MEPS for my Physical. I want a 68W/OPT40 and I need to ship out before 06/30. My Recruiter has told me that there are none available before that date. I would like a second opinion from the members of this site.
Does anyone have suggestions on getting a 68W/OPT40 if it does not show through normal procedure, or do I have to wait till it does?
If I cannot get my OPT40 now, can anyone give me an idea of how long I might have to wait beyond 06/30?
From the information I have pulled from this site, I am fully qualified for the OPT40. My only problem seems to be with the availability.
Thank you for your help.
Invictus
Ranger

Re: 68W/OPT40 Availability

Post by Invictus »

BenningBrat wrote:Tonight I am going to MEPS for my Physical. I want a 68W/OPT40 and I need to ship out before 06/30. My Recruiter has told me that there are none available before that date. I would like a second opinion from the members of this site.
Does anyone have suggestions on getting a 68W/OPT40 if it does not show through normal procedure, or do I have to wait till it does?
If I cannot get my OPT40 now, can anyone give me an idea of how long I might have to wait beyond 06/30?
From the information I have pulled from this site, I am fully qualified for the OPT40. My only problem seems to be with the availability.
Thank you for your help.
Do you have reason to believe your recruiter is lying to you?
Unless one of us is a recruiter, how could we possible know how many slots are available for a given MOS?

What's the big rush?
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Indeed, what is the big rush? If you must have the 68W MOS and nothing else, you would be better served to go back to your recruiter and say "Thank You for your time. Please call me when a slot becomes available" and go home and PT your ass off. Even if it takes a little longer, it is time you can use to prepare. It has been said here before that whatever PT you are doing right now is not enough.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

I agree. Wait for the contract. As long as you get what YOU want, then I would think you could adjust your timeline.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Just curious, but in your intro a year ago, you were a Senior in college (I'm thinking MSU). Were you in the ROTC program there?
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
BenningBrat
Embryo

Post by BenningBrat »

Ranger Invictus,
I do not believe my Recruiter would lie to me, but he is new to his position.

Ranger 42L5V,
I was attending MSU, and I did take a ROTC class, but that was a year ago. I have stopped going to school as I am out of money and I do not know what degree I want.
BenningBrat
Embryo

Post by BenningBrat »

As I said above, I believed I was just going to MEPS to get my Physical/Medical done. My recruiter mentioned something about swearing in right before we left. Apparently I was supposed to get everything done and be ready to ship out. I told the recruiter I am not going to MEPS unless I have my OPT40. He called ROC at FT Knox and they told him none were available. As my Recruiter was telling me what ROC told him, ROC called back and said they had one available.

I am DEP/68W/OPT40. My ship date is 20080604.
High Grad Bonus, $5k
Seasonal Bonus, $15k
4yr Enlistment Bonus + ACF, $650
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

Chris,

Congratulations on securing your contract. PM inbound.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Generally, recruitment spaces can become available with a little effort. Never, never quit. Welcome...
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

BenningBrat wrote:As I said above, I believed I was just going to MEPS to get my Physical/Medical done. My recruiter mentioned something about swearing in right before we left. Apparently I was supposed to get everything done and be ready to ship out. I told the recruiter I am not going to MEPS unless I have my OPT40. He called ROC at FT Knox and they told him none were available. As my Recruiter was telling me what ROC told him, ROC called back and said they had one available.

I am DEP/68W/OPT40. My ship date is 20080604.
High Grad Bonus, $5k
Seasonal Bonus, $15k
4yr Enlistment Bonus + ACF, $650

Clean this shit out of your sig-line for fucks' sake.

Save the space for actual fucking experience.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Congratulations for enlisting to become an Army Ranger.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “Recruitment Process”