Quick Question About NG Service

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Mazz
Embryo

Quick Question About NG Service

Post by Mazz »

Since I just found out I can join NG for my senior year and go active duty 6 monts after Basic, would this be a good idea? :?
Last edited by Mazz on June 2nd, 2004, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adorea Aut Letum
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Hell no!
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

agreed.

not a good idea if you're wanting an OP40 contract later. only join the Gaurd if you want to be in the Gaurd.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

I agree w Ranger h8train1/75. I spent time in the NG in two different states and it(both units) had to be the worst experience of my military service. If you have seen Rambo, the part where the NG fires a LAW into the mine, that scene pathetically sums it up. :evil:
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Mailman
Tadpole

Post by Mailman »

Fuck the NG, just go active duty after you graduate.
C co 3/75, 3rd Plt
94-97

"I didn't want to hurt them, I only wanted to kill them." -David Berkowitz-
Mazz
Embryo

Post by Mazz »

Roger that, thanks for the advice everyone.

Hooah!
Mazz
Adorea Aut Letum
Mazz
Embryo

Post by Mazz »

hit_it wrote: not a good idea if you're wanting an OP40 contract later.
really? You can't choose your MOS? What if I were to go AF TACP?
I don't really care too much about the Rambo scene thing, it's not like I'd be in for that long, and it's the only thing I can do at the moment and I'd get a little "experience" if u would call it that :lol: . Plus I think I'd rather go through Army Basic and Infantry school as well if I'm going to the AF?
But if you guys say it's not worth it then I believe you.
Adorea Aut Letum
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=120

In the future name your topic appropiately!
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Mazz wrote:I don't really care too much about the Rambo scene thing, it's not like I'd be in for that long
My point was that if you have seen the movie, the PL issues an order and all the schitsticks start arguing with him. There is absolutely no discipline or military bearing; ie; everyone calls each other by their first names. They are all 'buddies' and have been e-4s for the last 20 years. :roll:
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Mazz PM inbound.....

~Joseph
Ivory Gates
Tadpole

Post by Ivory Gates »

Mazz, I have a buddy who decided to go to the national guard to get through basic between his junior and senior year in high school, then switch to active duty. It did not work out very well for him, as he lost all of his enlistment bonus, he was not eligible for any contract options such as airborne or a Ranger contract, and he was unable to get a station of choice either. He also decided that he wanted to change his MOS from 13B, cannon crewmember, to infantry since he did not go through his AIT yet, and because of this he will have to repeat basic training. Just an example that may not apply in all cases, I'm certainly no expert but thought I'd throw this out there.
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

If you want an option40 just wait the school year out, read the Ranger handbook, train and shit like that while you wait. Plus the whole school year you have time to get exactly what you want in your contract if in case you dont get it the first time!!!
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Gates wrote:Mazz, I have a buddy who decided to go to the national guard to get through basic between his junior and senior year in high school, then switch to active duty. It did not work out very well for him, as he lost all of his enlistment bonus, he was not eligible for any contract options such as airborne or a Ranger contract, and he was unable to get a station of choice either. He also decided that he wanted to change his MOS from 13B, cannon crewmember, to infantry since he did not go through his AIT yet, and because of this he will have to repeat basic training. Just an example that may not apply in all cases, I'm certainly no expert but thought I'd throw this out there.
that's what usually happens. why i do NOT recommend any of you do this.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”