Colo. lawmaker removed from podium over Mexicans remark

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
RTO
BANNED

Colo. lawmaker removed from podium over Mexicans remark

Post by RTO »

DENVER - A Colorado legislator known for kicking a photographer was ordered to leave the podium of the state House of Representatives on Monday because he called Mexican workers "illiterate peasants."

State Rep. Douglas Bruce, who has a history of provoking controversy, made the comment during debate on a bill that would allow the state to help immigrant workers get temporary federal visas. The measure is intended to ease a shortage of farm workers in the state.

"I would like to have the opportunity to state at the microphone why I don't think we need 5,000 more illiterate peasants in Colorado," Bruce said.

His outburst drew an audible gasp from the House.

"How dare you," said state Rep. Kathleen Curry, a Democrat who was serving as chairwoman during the debate. She told the Republican lawmaker he was no longer recognized to speak.

House Minority Leader Mike May, head of the GOP caucus, said legislative leaders were trying to determine what action to take against Bruce.

Rep. Terrance Carroll, a Democrat, said the remark could result in a formal ethics complaint that would require a hearing and possible suspension, censure or expulsion.

Bruce later defended his remarks.

"I looked up 'illiterate' in the dictionary and it means somebody who is lacking in formal education or is unable to read and write," he said. "I don't think these people who are planning to come over here and pick potatoes or peaches are likely to have much of a formal education. I looked up the word 'peasant.' The word 'peasant' means a person who works in agricultural fields.

"These people, most of them, don't speak English. Most of them haven't had any formal education, that's why they're coming over here. I don't blame them for trying, but I don't think we should pave the way for more aliens to come here," he said.

Story Continues Here....
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

So what did he say that was untrue? You would not believe the number of wets that come over that cant read and can barely make their make. The real fun ones are the ones from south mexico that still speak just their native Indian dialect. So now you got a guy that cant read or write cant speak Spanish and you had better hope there is a translator in the group.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

In fact he said nothing that was offensive. It’s the chairwoman that seems illiterate. Except if those words mean something other than what the dictionary said. Maybe in “slangâ€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

More and more, there seems to be free speech only if it's politically correct. I guess we can no longer refer to someone who cannot read and write "illiterate." It may hurt their self esteem.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Ranger Bill wrote:More and more, there seems to be free speech only if it's politically correct. I guess we can no longer refer to someone who cannot read and write "illiterate." It may hurt their self esteem.
Multiplied by a factor of 2.0.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Ranger Bill wrote:More and more, there seems to be free speech only if it's politically correct. I guess we can no longer refer to someone who cannot read and write "illiterate." It may hurt their self esteem.

So then the issue of being politically correct will change the dictionary and not academia?

I’m sick and tiered of PC and what it stands for. Can’t we just return to calling a thing what it is instead of beating around the bush?
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

"The Mexican Consulate in Denver did not immediately return a call seeking comment."

Who cares? or does the Government of Mexico consider the people referred to in the speech as constituents?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

:lol: :lol: Sounds like the man spoke the truth but didnt say it right....or he said it right but it was taken wrong or maybe he and I need to get together and attend a class on "Taming our out of control mouth". Naaa....kudos to the mother fucker.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

This PC Bullshit has to stop! He was spot on with his statement. There was nothing demeaning, hateful, bigoted, or racist in his comments.

I just talked with a friend 2 weeks ago, I may have posted it in another thread, but his sister's school systems can no longer "Fail" a student for fear of affecting their self esteem. They have actually renamed "Failure" to "Deferred Success"?!? So, if you change the name....you change the condition?!?

"I'm a loser because my dad is an alcoholic..."
"No kid...your dad is an alcoholic because you are a loser"

Now if he would have said "There ain't 'nuff room round hea for no damn 5000 heathenistic beaners" he may have still been correct, but I could see some people taking issue with that...considering the venue.
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
wade_the_duck
Tadpole

Post by wade_the_duck »

For some reason I would have thought Hillary would have been the one calling people "illiterate peasants"

Return to “The News Dump”