Most Memorable Novel You've Ever Read?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

Currently reading Unholy Alliance, Radical Islam and the American Left by David Horowitz
Though strange bedfellows, America's liberals and radical Muslims stand on suspiciously similar ground in refusing to condemn Islamic terrorism, in criticizing America and the West, and in opposing efforts to export capitalism and democracy. As a former Leftist radical, Horowitz is perfectly placed to diagnose, and denounce, the hypocrisy and danger of the American Left.
It's pretty good so far. I'm definitely learning of things that I hadn't heard about before.

Also reading Leadership by Rudy Giuliani, which I really like.
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."
Rico
Ranger

Post by Rico »

Crusader wrote:For people who enjoy Lord of the Rings, I highly suggest checking out David Eddings early works, his first two series of books The Belgariad and The Malloreon. They are similar to LotR, with their own world, races, and characteristics. Great scenery descriptions etc.. :wink:
You should read the "Song of Ice and Fire" series by Gearge R. R. Martin. You won't be sorry, they're calling him the American Tolkien.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Gates Of Fire.

Best book in the fucking world!
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

ProudAFDad wrote:Prayers for the Assassin by Robert Ferrigno is a novel I read last year to kill time on airplane-- not epic literature but I think about it alot. It paints a very scary future Muslim "america" and I think would interest a good number of you with it's depiction of the ultimate jihaddist warrior -- he calls it Fedayeen I think. Set in the future, it's the kind of novel you have to suspend disbelief and just try to read it an not get so fucking pissed off..... it really got to me.
And I just found out last week that the author actually has a website up where he carries forth the depiction of the post-Muslimized USA---check it here www.republicworldnews.com
Pretty weird and like I said I still get pissed off thinking about it-but it's the kind of thing that can happen when people stop caring about what it means to American...
I read that one. I thought the same thing. If you let yourself go with it you can get the heeby jeebies, for sure.

I love that the South is the last bastion of America. 'Cause its true.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
JustErin
Sister

Post by JustErin »

Rangers,

I finally finished my summer reading list...courtesy of Ranger Capellanus in my intro thread. It took a little longer than I wanted, but it's done.

I learned much about Rangers from the following books:

Charlie Rangers
The Road to Unafraid
Band of Brothers
Black Hawk Down

I also visited the Airborne and Special Ops Museum here in Fayetteville and found plenty of new reading material to keep me busy for a while. As always, any further suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,

Erin
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

JustErin wrote:Rangers,

I finally finished my summer reading list...courtesy of Ranger Capellanus in my intro thread. It took a little longer than I wanted, but it's done.

I learned much about Rangers from the following books:

Charlie Rangers
The Road to Unafraid
Band of Brothers
Black Hawk Down

I also visited the Airborne and Special Ops Museum here in Fayetteville and found plenty of new reading material to keep me busy for a while. As always, any further suggestions are welcome.
Thank you,

Erin
I heard somewhere that after you finished reading those books you need to join the Post-It Girls Club.

I'll help you get started ok? Do you have some yellow sticky notes?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Silverback wrote:Image

Casca pierced the side of Christ on Golgotha and Christ cursed him to forever walk the Earth as a soldier without fear of death. The problem is that he cannot die but he feels any pain and suffering associated with his injuries.

The reason this book was so memorable for me was because it was the first book I read all the way through (Not counting school). Additionally the telling of the battle of Dien Bien Phu from the perspective of the Legionaires was absolutely riveting.
This series of books is great! I just started reading them in Dec, for you morons that can only read the comics in the newspaper fear not these books are only about 180 pages.

Another great book is "The Devils Guard".
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Lion Of Ireland by Morgan Llywellyn ( yes, it's fucking spelled right)

King Hereafter by Dorothy Dunnet

Lion Of Ireland is the story of Brian Boru, Ireland's answer to King Arthur and the very reason for so many fucking O'Brians' in the world. He repelled the Vikings for decades and legend has it that on campaigns his men had to fight him for their chow.

King Hererafter is the story of the real MacBeth. His real name was Thorfinn Sigurdson. He was the thirteenth grandson of the Earl of Orkney and hacked his way through his whole fucking family to the Scottish throne. He changed his name to MacBeth in a shrewd move to get the Pope to recognise Scotland as a Christian nation so further slaughtering could gain the Almightys' approval.

After all, we're not fucking barbarians.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Parabellum wrote: Another great book is "The Devils Guard".

Classic book that is supposedly a true story however very suspect. The story is told from the perspective of an Ex SS officer that joined the Legion after WWII and was sent to Viet nam to fight the Viet Mihn. He was placed incharge of an all Ex German Battalion and starts his own Blitz in the jungles as far north as China. Historically speaking it has many holes. Such as the fact that only French officers can be in charge of the Legion and no where has there been found a Battalion of all Germans in German history.

It is most likly a work of fiction but very entertaining.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

ArmyRanger.com by: Spartan and the gang.

Awesome reading. Never ends! :lol:
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Kilted Heathen wrote:Gates Of Fire.

Best book in the fucking world!
Concur! My father (79) is a scholar and he read the book a few years back on my recommendation and he said the following.

“Although the story behind the Spartan and the battle of Thermopylae is history based on fact (historians accounting) and unproven tails passed on from generation to generation. This book is as close as one could come to reading about the battle and the Spartan way of life.â€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

rgrpuck wrote:
Parabellum wrote: Another great book is "The Devils Guard".

Classic book that is supposedly a true story however very suspect. The story is told from the perspective of an Ex SS officer that joined the Legion after WWII and was sent to Viet nam to fight the Viet Mihn. He was placed incharge of an all Ex German Battalion and starts his own Blitz in the jungles as far north as China. Historically speaking it has many holes. Such as the fact that only French officers can be in charge of the Legion and no where has there been found a Battalion of all Germans in German history.

It is most likly a work of fiction but very entertaining.
I would like to think that the book is true. You are right is was entertaining.

Legioneers can become officers in the Legion after a certain amount of time and when they become French citizens. It is rare but it does happen.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99

Return to “The Mosh Pit”