U.S. Military Restricts Google Maps

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
RTO
BANNED

U.S. Military Restricts Google Maps

Post by RTO »

The DOD took action when Street View images of Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas, appeared on Google Maps.

The U.S. Department of Defense put Google (NSDQ: GOOG) on the defensive last week when it issued a communique to make it clear that the roving photographic vehicles Google uses to acquire Google Maps Street View images aren't allowed on U.S. military bases.
In pursuing its mission "[to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful," Google inadvertently ran afoul of the military's mission to maintain security for its personnel and sites.

The DOD took action when Street View images of Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas, appeared on Google Maps. Google introduced Google Maps Street View images for San Antonio in February.

Google removed the pictures at the request of the military. Fort Sam Houston is not open to the public.

Full Story Here...
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Fucking A. My entire house and a 360 degree view there-of is accessible through Google Street-view.

Although It's now different than somebody driving down my street, it's a little errie to see my house online like that!
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Yea, you can get a good look at some pretty secure places. Like the red roof inn, for example.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03

Return to “The News Dump”