Shit happens... I guess

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Table of Elements Skater
Future Soldier

Post by Table of Elements Skater »

Went up again to MEPS today to Secure my 18x Contract. I walk into the Army Office and the counselor asks me what I want, I say 18x. He says theres no way. I then go to get my med inspect taken care of, everything goes good. I take my seat in front of the Army office, and wait for about 2 hours for all the shippers to get taken care of. I go back in, tell them im not signing unless it say 18x on the paper. They tell me no. Go back and sit for some more hours. I then talk to two different people on the phone, telling me I can volunteer after I get out of OSUT. I tell both of them thank you for taking the time to talk to me but Im not signing anything today unless it says 18x. For the next hour or so, I have the station commander trying to talk me into 13Fox or 11x. I politely tell him no thanks, he proceeds to tell me anything with Airborne is not going to happen. Not 11x opt.4, 11x opt40, or 18x. I just got home, somewhat frustrated and confused. Im looking up the regs concerning Airborne and a Waiver. If anyone can shed some light on to what comes next I would be greatly appreciative.
Thanks
-Mike
VengefulIcebox
Tadpole

Post by VengefulIcebox »

As I'm unsure how to properly address you, I believe your in a DEP category, I'll use DEP TOES. If this is inaccurate, let me know.
DEP TOES I've been in a position to read the boards frequently over the last few years. In that time I have observed your progress and setbacks. I wanted to extend my encouragement, along with others.

Don't lose sight of the target in the distance.

These 'no's' and attempted redirections now are just windage and mirage to adjust for.

Settling for the first sight picture will produce results unacceptable to you when this round is over. This is not a timed event, so to speak.

Breathe, wait and follow through.
War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
-William Tecumseh Sherman
testedone

Post by testedone »

After reading 5 pages...

You have some determination...stick to it...go for it...don't settle for less...

Can't is not part of your vocabulary!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

You continue to impress me, TOES. Stick to your guns. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Table of Elements Skater
Future Soldier

Roger; Rangers, Soldiers, Vets and everyone else.
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

Stick to it Toes.

Google the regulations and take them with you.

Also remember there could actually be a problem with available slots so be prepared to spend a few more days down at MEPS.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Be determined, but be smart. You'll only be in the Army so long. You have to live with yourself and your fucked up body for the rest of your life.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Table of Elements Skater
Future Soldier

Re: Shit happens... I guess

Rangers,

Nine Months from my last post and I'm still trying to get this in order. Even though my waiver, has been approved, I cannot get anything with Airborne in a contract. This coming Thursday I'm headed up to M.E.P.S. once again just to get my height and weight recorded. As my ASVAB scores and my physical are still good. Im looking at couple different M.O.S. now and would like some opinions of them, particularly 35M and 19D. If everything pans out this time, I should be able to pick from a list of jobs and leave in late January.

Thanks
-Mike
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

T.O.E.S.,

Is there something on the medical waiver you were given that prevents you from going Airborne? If not, on what grounds are they barring you from anything Airborne? Could it be something that has nothing to do with your medical background (needs of the Army, available slots, quotas to fill, etc.?)

You've already won several difficult battles and there is no reason you can't win one more.

Best of luck!

- Trigger
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
Table of Elements Skater
Future Soldier

Trigger wrote:T.O.E.S.,

Is there something on the medical waiver you were given that prevents you from going Airborne? If not, on what grounds are they barring you from anything Airborne? Could it be something that has nothing to do with your medical background (needs of the Army, available slots, quotas to fill, etc.?)

You've already won several difficult battles and there is no reason you can't win one more.

Best of luck!

- Trigger
Cadet Trigger, I had back problems that caused me to not ship the first time. My understanding is, anything Airborne you cant have a waiver.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

JLTW!!! wrote:fuck 19D!!!!

Keep driving on with your dreams stud!

That is all....
X2. Do not give in...
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
cback0220
Tadpole

Post by cback0220 »

When I was in Basic (almost three years ago) we only had 6 contracted 18X's in my company. Out of those only I finished still wanting to be SF. But on the other hand about 10 dudes picked up an 18X contract in Basic. Almost all of them had something that kept them from signing up as X-rays originally, but it really was as easy as walking down to the liason and signing a paper then poof they were 18X's.

It may be a gamble but the first step to ever being SF is being in the Army. Good luck bro.
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its warriors and its scholars will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Return to “The Mosh Pit”