Not a standard Asthma question

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

I faked an asthma attack in school to stop getting the snot beat out of me by 3 other students, happened 2 more times (ages 12-14).
You might have bigger issues than whether or not you have asthma, like whether you have the fortitude to make it in the military with out rolling over and playing possum every time you face a challenge. But, If I were you, and thank god I'm not, I would tell the recruiter and MEPs physicians that you were diagnosed with asthma when you were younger, but you think it may have been anxiety, and you have not had any episodes for a number of years. They will likely give you a methacholine challenge (see below) to confirm that you have no reactive airway disease. Then do us a favor, sign up for a leg soft skill MOS that wont put you in any danger of having other people depend on you, just in case you get frightened and decide to malinger again.
d. Asthma (493), including reactive airway disease, exercise induced bronchospasm or asthmatic bronchitis, reliably
diagnosed at any age. Reliable diagnostic criteria should consist of any of the following elements:
(1) Substantiated history of cough, wheeze, and/or dyspnea that persists or recurs over a prolonged period of time,
generally more than 6 months.
(2) If the diagnosis of asthma is in doubt, a test for reversible airflow obstruction (greater than a 15 percent increase
in forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEVI) following administration of an inhaled bronchodilator) or airway
hyperactivity (exaggerated decrease in airflow induced by standard bronchoprovocation challenge such as methacholine
inhalation or a demonstration of exercise-induced bronchospasm) must be performed.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

The two men above can probably comfirm that I have the most FUCKED UP set of lungs to ever wear the beret. Running behind me was a very dangerous proposition, unless you have a fetish that involves wearing another man's puke.

But I met the standard. I exceeded the standard. And I did the fucking job. If you WANT to be a Ranger as much as I did, so can you.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

I don't agree, What's to say you don't use it while your on a run and fake another one! You decide the Army is not for your and look for an out and tell the sickcall doctor you had asthma and you told your recruiter and you have it on record etc. ect. You give yourself and easy out and the recruiter gets an investigation started on him. I would reccomend you come clean and tell the MEPS Doctor (he'll be investigated also) to have a pulmonary function check, so that way if you fake one they'll at least be covered from your lack on intestinal fortitude! :roll:
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Do us a favor and dont bother.

So whats going to happen when you fake it during a fire fight?

So did you grow a set of balls in the last 3 or 4 years?

I cant belive you even asked this question on this site.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
vash113
Embryo

Post by vash113 »

This question is for any Ranger, when you choose not to disclose a medical issue that you deem unimportant, will they find out when you get a security clearance? If so will you get into any trouble?
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

vash113 wrote:This question is for any Ranger, when you choose not to disclose a medical issue that you deem unimportant, will they find out when you get a security clearance? If so will you get into any trouble?
Vash113, I for one wouldn't want someone on my team with an 'undisclosed medical issue that you deemed unimportant'. If it truly was unimportant as you say, there would be no issue disclosing it, right? So why not just come clean and put all your cards on the table? Let the Medical professionals do their job and decide what qualifies you or not.

I admire your desire to serve, and especially am proud of your desire to serve as a Ranger. That being said, there are men's lives at stake, and it is my belief that only the most fit and qualified should apply to become a Ranger. If it is determined the Rangers are not for you, there are other critical MOS's that are needed that would allow you to serve while not putting others at risk.

Read and heed the Ranger creed if you have any further questions on this matter.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

vash113 wrote:This question is for any Ranger, when you choose not to disclose a medical issue that you deem unimportant, will they find out when you get a security clearance? If so will you get into any trouble?
How fucking many times are you going to ask us this same fucking queston?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Re: Not a standard Asthma question

Post by Kilted Heathen »

cook03 wrote:Sorry Rangers for ANOTHER asthma post, I have read the stickies and other posts regarding this subject but feel my condition is pretty unique.
I faked an asthma attack in school to stop getting the snot beat out of me by 3 other students, happened 2 more times (ages 12-14).
The last time the school called an ambulance and I was taken to hospital (after the ambulance incident I stopped faking it as I could have taken the ambulance from someone who needed it), so it was put on my medical record.
I have never had asthma or any type of breathing condition and never used the inhaler that was given to me.
On the medical pre-screen paper i put no for asthma as i never actually had it. But doing some research and seeing that I should have put yes if it is on your records, I'm not sure what to do.

I have contacted my recruiter and his words were 'did you have asthma?.... no?..... then don't put it down'
Lying about it doesn't sit well though.
I feel I have 2 options

1. Lie about it, as I didn't have asthma so it is not going to 're-occur' ever again (simplest thing to do)

2. Get the medical records pertaining to the asthma and get a pulmonary function test, Methacholine Challenge to show i never had asthma, show that 'asthma attacks' were only induced at school and come clean to the doctors at Meps.

If any Rangers have ever heard of something this stupid and the outcome any information/guidance would be most appreciated

I think I am going to go with route 2, which is going to be harder as i have no medical insurance, but if shelling out $600+ means I have a chance at the Army then its worth it.

Thank you
You faked an asthma attack in a fight?

Three times?

Jesus Christ.

I have no guidance for you...absolutely none.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Wow.... just, wow. :shock:

Two things I will make sure that my son knows from an early age(things that I didn't learn until well into adulthood and on my own..)

1- He will learn combatives. How to disable motherfuckers (see; throat punch) and grappling/groundwork.

2-How to play guitar. You could be the ugliest, most fucked up motherfucker, but if you know how to rock out on the git-fiddle, you willget laid..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Medical Issues”