High blood pressure waiver

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

So take the meds fool....I went to MEPS had HBP couldn't get a contract went back to the recruiters office he gave me a envelope full of blood pressure pills went back the next week and passed well within the normal range
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Or drink less coffee the morning you go in.

BTW, that's one of the best usernames I've ever seen.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

If you do anything, do NOT get a prescription for your BP.

You will be disqualified.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

If you haven't, go and read the first sticky in the "Medical Issues" section. Pay particular attention to the post I made, because it seems as if you haven't read it.

I think SFC hit-it's advice to you is somewhat misguided. Yes, if you get a prescription, you will be barred from enlistment. However, untreated and uncontrolled High Blood Pressure will fuck you up. Not "can or "might"...but it WILL fuck you up in some way. You may not feel any affects of it right now, but eventually it will catch up as kidney failure, stroke, or some other equally bad juju! Get the script, get your pressure under control and drive on. A lifetime of dialysis just isn't worth it.

[Edited to add: I don't care what a doctor at MEPS tells you, the absolute and final authority in the Ranger Regiment for medical fitness is The Regimental Surgeon. You might have a waiver from the Pope, but if the RSURG doesn't like what he sees, he will send you packing, and possibly get a medical discharge from service... and he will get a raging case of the ass because you are now his problem. It has happened before.]
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:If you haven't, go and read the first sticky in the "Medical Issues" section. Pay particular attention to the post I made, because it seems as if you haven't read it.

I think SFC hit-it's advice to you is somewhat misguided. Yes, if you get a prescription, you will be barred from enlistment. However, untreated and uncontrolled High Blood Pressure will fuck you up. Not "can or "might"...but it WILL fuck you up in some way. You may not feel any affects of it right now, but eventually it will catch up as kidney failure, stroke, or some other equally bad juju! Get the script, get your pressure under control and drive on. A lifetime of dialysis just isn't worth it.

[Edited to add: I don't care what a doctor at MEPS tells you, the absolute and final authority in the Ranger Regiment for medical fitness is The Regimental Surgeon. You might have a waiver from the Pope, but if the RSURG doesn't like what he sees, he will send you packing, and possibly get a medical discharge from service... and he will get a raging case of the ass because you are now his problem. It has happened before.]
I wasn't going to go that in depth, but you are spot on.

To further elaborate, there are of course people in the military with BP controlled by medication. I am one of them.

Of course, I'm not in initial entry training and it's not easier to just kick me out. If you were past all of your training and found this out, it would have been a different result.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

hit_it wrote:

...there are of course people in the military with BP controlled by medication. I am one of them.

Of course, I'm not in initial entry training and it's not easier to just kick me out. If you were past all of your training and found this out, it would have been a different result.

Yeah, if he was already in that would be very different. I wasn't implying that you were talking out your ass, I just want him to understand that a waiver will only work to a point.

If he wants to roll the dice, that's on him. He might wind up the big winner, but I'm keepin' my money on the pass line.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Recruitment Process”