Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

You have come to the right place, welcome.

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

Welcome Dan,

PM imbound.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Welcome to the site and thanks for your interest in the Army Rangers. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

grumpz wrote:Rangers:

update:

I went down to the Army recruiting office and started talking about getting an 11x Option 40. After talking for a bit I took a practice ASVAB test and scored very well on it. My recruiter then started talking to me about an 18x contract. I did not expect this to happen, but I am delighted he thinks I am good enough for the SF. I have another appointment with him on Monday and I am trying to get any opinions I can on what the best course of action is.

Do you guys have any advice as to what I should do?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome.
So does this mean he thinks you are "Good enough" for SF but not the Ranger Regiment?
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
FIST TEAM LTR
Ranger

Post by FIST TEAM LTR »

Do what YOU want; You will be paying the tab. No pun intended.
Good Luck.
1st Ranger Bn HHC 1978-81
A Company FIST Team
RGR Class 9-79
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

grumpz wrote:
Do you guys have any advice as to what I should do?

Take the time now before you sign anything and read everything you can about Special Forces and the Rangers. One is not 'better' than the other, they are pretty much the 'same' as far as being elite , only with very different missions. Does that make sense?

As a career path, I would say I have probabbly seen more young men your age join the Rangers first for perhaps 2-5 years, then migrate over to SF when they are a little older, have a bit of experience under their belt and usually a Ranger Tab on their shoulder. Only an observation on my part and I'm sure there are quite a few that choose SF and go that route from the git-go. So it's really up to you.

Hope that helps.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and thanks for your interest in joining the Army. You face an important decision. Do not let your recruiter steer your direction, make your own decision based on doing some research and what you want to do. Do not be rushed. Making a decsion based on the "perks" will be a bad decsion. Be sure to read the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

I think you are mistaken and your recruiter is a little more than misleading. The fact that he uses the term "Ranger Program" tells me he has little knowledge of the modern Ranger Regiment, as opposed to Special Forces.
As RTO stated, they are two entirely different animals. Comparing the two is like asking which is the better tool, a hammer or pair of pliers? I would say, better for what task? If I want to drive nails, pliers are of little value, and a hammer can't grasp and hold small objects. Do you see the difference?

While your recruiter may have a Ranger Tab, he may not have spent time in the Regiment. This is more than likely because less than half of Ranger school graduates come from the Regiment. Also, to say you are qualified for either is misleading. What he means is that you meet the criteria for SF selection and RIP. You will still have to pass selection or RIP in order to move on. That being said, I submit that you should enlist with the opt 40 contract in order to be assigned to the Ranger Regiment, do a few years there and mebbe get your Tab, then apply for SF selection. Lots of soldiers do it, as it is a natural progression, and they like soldiers who do. I further submit that being in the Ranger Regiment before hand would make SF selection that much easier, because you would be coming from a place that requires you to stay in top physical shape.

Either way, do what you want. Research some more, wait six months and then see what you think about it. You don't have to enlist right away, or use the same recruiter you are talking to now. I can't comment on how it is to be in SF, but the four years I spent in the Ranger Regiment were beyond my expectation. It was where I really learned my profession, and when its fun, you can't believe that Uncle Sam is actually paying you to do it. If you can make it there, you will definitely bring your "A" game to whatever it is you go on to next.

Good luck
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:I think you are mistaken and your recruiter is a little more than misleading. The fact that he uses the term "Ranger Program" tells me he has little knowledge of the modern Ranger Regiment, as opposed to Special Forces.
As RTO stated, they are two entirely different animals. Comparing the two is like asking which is the better tool, a hammer or pair of pliers? I would say, better for what task? If I want to drive nails, pliers are of little value, and a hammer can't grasp and hold small objects. Do you see the difference?

While your recruiter may have a Ranger Tab, he may not have spent time in the Regiment. This is more than likely because less than half of Ranger school graduates come from the Regiment, and you don't have to be assigned to the Regiment to get your Tab. Also, to say you are qualified for either is misleading. What he means is that you meet the criteria for SF selection and RIP. You will still have to pass selection or RIP in order to move on. That being said, I submit that you should enlist with the opt 40 contract in order to be assigned to the Ranger Regiment, do a few years there and mebbe get your Tab, then apply for SF selection. Lots of soldiers do it, as it is a natural progression, and they like soldiers who do. I further submit that being in the Ranger Regiment before hand would make SF selection that much easier, because you would be coming from a place that requires you to stay in top physical shape.

Either way, do what you want. Research some more, wait six months and then see what you think about it. You don't have to enlist right away, or use the same recruiter you are talking to now. I can't comment on how it is to be in SF, but the four years I spent in the Ranger Regiment were beyond my expectation. It was where I really learned my profession, and when its fun, you can't believe that Uncle Sam is actually paying you to do it. If you can make it there, you will definitely bring your "A" game to whatever it is you go on to next.

Good luck
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:
The Sleepy Doc wrote:I think you are mistaken and your recruiter is a little more than misleading. The fact that he uses the term "Ranger Program" tells me he has little knowledge of the modern Ranger Regiment, as opposed to Special Forces.

While your recruiter may have a Ranger Tab, he may not have spent time in the Regiment. This is more than likely because less than half of Ranger school graduates come from the Regiment, and you don't have to be assigned to the Regiment to get your Tab. Also, to say you are qualified for either is misleading. What he means is that you meet the criteria for SF selection and RIP. You will still have to pass selection or RIP in order to move on. That being said, I submit that you should enlist with the opt 40 contract in order to be assigned to the Ranger Regiment, do a few years there and mebbe get your Tab, then apply for SF selection. Lots of soldiers do it, as it is a natural progression, and they like soldiers who do. I further submit that being in the Ranger Regiment before hand would make SF selection that much easier, because you would be coming from a place that requires you to stay in top physical shape.

Good luck
Welcome...

When the sleepy one quotes himself, you know it's an important point.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Introduction Archive”