LBE & drop leg holster

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

LBE & drop leg holster

Post by BruteForce »

I'm trying wrap-up acquiring all my field gear and have most of it accumulated, but would like recommendations on civilian (or even surplus) LBE and a corresponding drop-leg holster.

I recently acquired a Coyote (brand) drop-leg holster, but the thigh straps are too short for my legs, and the belt loop won't fit around my web gear utility belt.

Any information appreciated.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I wear a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster, on a CQC leg platform. I like the Serpa because it is FAST on the draw, and offers retention. I also like that it is modular, and I own CQC holsters for all of my handguns. When I need a different handgun, based on what I am doing, three screws and I can change my holster.

I prefer to mount my sidearm to my body armor... up and out of the way. But, if you do have to wear a thigh rig, make sure you wear it as HIGH on your leg, read... up ON your hip practically... as you can get it. It makes for a faster draw, easier to run with it, and aids in retention, if some BG get's ahold of you.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

I wear a kydex hip holster made by Uncle Mike's.

When I am kitted up, I wear a thigh rig made by Safariland. The concept of wearing a pistol on your chest rig is something I've contemplated doing, but I am so used to doing my transitions off of my leg, I don't know what advantage I'd gain by changing it up now.

As for an LBE, it really depends on what you plan on doing. If it requires you to be wearing armor, I'd recommend a plate carrier with MOLLE attachments.
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

GSXRanger wrote:I prefer to mount my sidearm to my body armor... up and out of the way. But, if you do have to wear a thigh rig, make sure you wear it as HIGH on your leg, read... up ON your hip practically... as you can get it. It makes for a faster draw, easier to run with it, and aids in retention, if some BG get's ahold of you.
Unfortunately, with all the gear I'm wearing, I've had to transition my sidearm to a drop-leg holster setup. Just no room left on the hip or across the chest, so it needs to go down lower.

Too many leg extensions and leg curls are preventing my use of the standard drop-leg holsters without crafting my own buckle extensions! :?

I've been researching the Blackhawk gear and believe I can source an entire kit, which includes butt pack, water carrier, etc.. for a fair price, but it doesn't include a holster. After reviewing the Blackhawk website, I do like the "Special Operations Holster, Nylon 40XP00DE", as it will offer more dirt/dust protection than I'm getting at present.
US Army 1986 - 1994
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

I wouldn't recommend Blackhawk gear. IMO it's junk.

There are plenty of good places to get quality gear for a little more and it will last you a long time.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Matador275 wrote:I wouldn't recommend Blackhawk gear. IMO it's junk.

There are plenty of good places to get quality gear for a little more and it will last you a long time.
x2. IMO the ultimate set-up is to have both, leg and chest. Depending on your environment, close/tight quarters, the chest rig is easier and will not get caught up on shit, leg holsters are always banging into shit when it's tight.

Open air, go with the dropleg. Safariland, like Matty said, I think is the best. Get both, you can change em up to suit your immediate need. Especially if you're in a vehicle, you can get the chest rig in action a lot quicker.

Ultimately, carry 2 pistols, in case one fails in tight quarters, drop it and go right to the 2nd. I'm assuming you'll have a long gun as well, for transition depending upon mission, quarters and need.

My theory is 2 guns equals 1, 1 gun equals none.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Wear the Drop Leg with an Hard police belt, that is secondary to the one holding up your drawers.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Walking around Camp I wear a Belt Holster that is Haji made.

My kit has a Serpa holster mounted on my vest.

Best Leg Rig IMHO is the Safri Land. Mine is almost wore out after 3 trips.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

rgrpuck wrote:Walking around Camp I wear a Belt Holster that is Haji made.
Soft leather?
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Matador275 wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:Walking around Camp I wear a Belt Holster that is Haji made.
Soft leather?

Cordora Nylon
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

rgrpuck wrote: Cordora Nylon
I too prefer the Cordora Nylon; it seems to hold up to wear/tear and dirt better than leather.

On another note, thanks to all that responded. While it didn't help make the decision easier, it did lead me to other sources for my kit.
US Army 1986 - 1994
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I have (estimated) close to 5000 presentations from my BH CQC Serpa holster that rides on my body armor. I have yet to have an issue with this holster. Matty is such a gear snob... if it isn't white, like his shoes... he won't have it. :lol: :lol: (just kidding)

Seriously though... I do like the BH platform, the way it rides on my leg. I can get it very high, up on my hip almost. I also like the fact that with just three screws, I can change my holster to any gun that I have. I have one for my 1911, for my Glocks, and for the Beretta.

The regular tactical serpa that BH makes, has a higher "hood" in the front of the sight rail, but the CQC does not have this hood. It has the same retention system... and IMO it is just as secure. What the "hood" does, is protect your rear sights a bit better, by having some plastic up a bit higher. I don't use this holster, since I do not do patrol work.

Most of my time is spent in a shoot house, using a Glock 17T with SIM rounds, force on force. I am getting VERY used to transitioning from my M4 over to my Glock, from the body armor.

For what I am doing, it really works. But, I also like the Safariland leg rigs too. I would say, the VAST majority of the LEO's that come through my courses, are using the Safariland. I have seen a few teams kitted with the CQC stuff, but not many.

I am getting so comfortable drawing from the CQC Serpa, that I am using it in some stages at my local shooting club. Most of the guys look at me like I am nuts, using a "retention" style holster, in a stage. But, I find it just as fast as my non retention FOBUS paddle.

I guess it is all in how you train with your gear. I would be interested to hear about the CQC stuff, and the problems you are having or had with it Matty...

In all truth though, I really listen to those out there on the tip of the spear. It's been a while since I was in the box, so things have changed. I don't have any other BH gear, save for the CQC holsters and a Gladdius light. BTW, the strobe feature on that light is worth it's weight in gold!

Cheers,

GSXR
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I always hated drop leg holsters for the reasons already listed. Silverbacks alternative is the best for if you need drop leg ability without too much restriction. Personally, I don't want anything restricting my leg movement. You use your legs more than your pistol anyway. Unless you're on The Unit.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

PocketKings wrote:I always hated drop leg holsters for the reasons already listed. Silverbacks alternative is the best for if you need drop leg ability without too much restriction. Personally, I don't want anything restricting my leg movement. You use your legs more than your pistol anyway. Unless you're on The Unit.
Your legs won't be restricted if you are kitted up properly. I am not advocating the gonzo look of strapping half of your gear on your legs, but having a good rig on your shooting side leg should not even slightly impair your movements.

Of course if you wear the POS BH one, with the velcro retention strap, then it might make things a little trickier than you need them to be if you have to transition.

As for my Safari Land, I take off the little plastic piece and just leave the thumbsafety on there. Nobody is going to get that close to me without me invoking damage on them.

Return to “Personal Gear”