Looking for a Ruck (Maybe MOLLE)

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
SoldierAgent505
Embryo

Looking for a Ruck (Maybe MOLLE)

Post by SoldierAgent505 »

While at Hood, I noticed a lot of grunts and some others (usually enginners) were using a ruck that no one in my unit had seen. It was large with multiple pockets on the outside, internal frame and had a handle at the top for easy snatching. It also came with an optional bag that was fixed around the backside.

I don't know if it is the MOLLE or not and I have not been able to find pictures to confirm it or not. Anyone have any pictures of a MOLLE or something described above?

Just fishing.
US Army
97B, CI Agent
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Soldier Agent,

It might also be an "After Market" rucksack. Quite a few troopers in and around my unit have ordered the Blackhawk "Malice" Pack. It seems to be the ruck of choice. I myself feel that after having loaded my Alice pack down with over 90lbs of shit in Iraq, that the storage capacity of a rucksack needs to be monitored closely by leadership. Larger carrying capacity means a trooper has more room to carry shit he won't need.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

The CFP90 (pictured above) has an optional day-assault pack which attaches to it. I would guess that this is the unit you saw. It does have an internal frame. I've had one for several years and use it as my main backpacking rig (I don't have the day pack attachment on mine)....it's a good ruck.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
SoldierAgent505
Embryo

Post by SoldierAgent505 »

Thanks for the replies y'all but from what I remember it didn't look like those. But the CP90 looks like it a close second.

Another interesting note about rucksacks was the amount of expensive shit people would put in unsecured pockets (i.e. out pockets on an ALICE) and the fact that I'm sure we gave many a Gerber to some surpised Joe.

Anyhow, thanks for the help folks.
US Army
97B, CI Agent
getoutatheway
Tadpole

Post by getoutatheway »

I dont know if you will find it here, but this site has photos of every type of military pack I have ever seen. I don't think their prices are great, and I am pretty sure most of it isn't issue gear. But you can at least see the photos. There are about 5 or 6 pages of gear, look at the bottom of the page to goto each page.

http://www.militarypacks.com/

Good luck
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

SoldierAgent505, I got a Cheaper than Dirt catalog in the mail and they have the MOLLE packs and a MOLLE type foreign made pack that , to me, looks like what you have desribed.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

I've been looking at rucks lately and I really like the CFP 90. It seems to be a pretty big ruck. Im only 5'9. Theres no such thing as a ruck being to big is there?

~Joseph
Bell

Post by Bell »

JosephPDW wrote:I've been looking at rucks lately and I really like the CFP 90. It seems to be a pretty big ruck. Im only 5'9. Theres no such thing as a ruck being to big is there?

~Joseph
Nope.

RLTW
Bell
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Flesh Thorn wrote:SoldierAgent505, I got a Cheaper than Dirt catalog in the mail and they have the MOLLE packs and a MOLLE type foreign made pack that , to me, looks like what you have desribed.
SA505-

I think it's probably a crewman's/tanker ruck that is similiar to the CFP-90.

As a side note, I love the cfp-90 for civilian backpacking. It will NOT hold up to a decent load...maybe a pillow line doggie ruck, but not an RTO's or a maggots.....or *gasp* a LRS ruck.....
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

placebo wrote:On the subject of rucks, have any of you used the kifaru packs?

They look pretty hot - though pricey and I doubt they'd pass a uniformity inspection. Maybe with the right pockets...
I have not....but check out

http://www.militarymorons.com

I know he has......

I have 4 or 5 large alices and the CFP-90...and 2 BHI (old school) assault packs...most of the time the assault packs work for me unless I am going rucking...
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

I use an Omega pack which is very similar to the Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter pack. External frame and 5,300 cubic inches of space. I have hummped many miles with it loaded to the hilt. Wouldn't recommend it for tactical work but when you have to haul a 1000lbs of moose meat back to camp it works great!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Return to “Personal Gear”