Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

Kilted Heathen wrote:Your screen-name is a jinx.

You might want to do something about that.
HAHA..or maybe not.

Just make sure not on the same chalk as any of us...
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:Some of the best officers I've had the privilege of working with started as enlisted soldiers first. Good luck and welcome..
You speak truth big time Doc! At least they know how the lower half lives.
Some don't plain give a shit but most that I knew were fine no bullshit officers.
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Post by Dirt Dart »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:

Mebbe he's already had his one malfunction & survived?..

Some of the best officers I've had the privilege of working with started as enlisted soldiers first. Good luck and welcome..
1st jump at BAC, Fryar DZ, Hollywood style, I'm sure the Rangers remember the drill. One of my fellow recently popped-cherry jumpers is above me by about 40-50 ft, and drifts too close to my canopy. I'm already preparing to land so I don't notice him getting close. I steal his air, he drops to about 20-30 ft below me. He steals my air, I drop about 50 ft straight into the little swampy creek that runs through the middle of Fryar DZ.

Then as I'm unassing myself from the creek, fearful that Riggers are going to come and kill me in my sleep for getting their precious parachute wet and muddy, something hits me in the head so hard I end up face down in the mud. At first I thought someone came down on top of me, but I look up, and the next stick is still at least 400 ft up. I look around, and see my ballistic helmet on the ground, no . . . wait, my helmet is on my head. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over?

So I pick it up and take it with me to the buses, to my extremely grateful student platoon sergeant, who makes sure I don't have to pull CQ for the rest of the week. I was also officially known as Dirt Dart in C/507th after this incident. After that I had 3 perfect PLFs and 1 FAH, even though conditions quickly turned poor that week as Hurricane Rita was starting to stir up the weather over the DZ.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Stay offa my bird.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Suggestion:

Define your ideal assignment. Regiment and Group are very different environments and produce different types of individuals. They also appeal to different types. Both have a lot to offer to someone who's willing to work hard.

If your goal is to become a team warrant, go 18X and spend ten years on a team, then reconsider.

If your goal is to become a TL/SL, go 11XOPT40.

Either ways, with the Arabic you've learned, you'll come in useful on both types of jobs.

Remember to test out for DLPT before you go AD. Keep the paperwork and tuck away the extra bucks you'll be making.

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com!
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Dirt Dart wrote:
The Sleepy Doc wrote:

Mebbe he's already had his one malfunction & survived?..

Some of the best officers I've had the privilege of working with started as enlisted soldiers first. Good luck and welcome..
1st jump at BAC, Fryar DZ, Hollywood style, I'm sure the Rangers remember the drill. One of my fellow recently popped-cherry jumpers is above me by about 40-50 ft, and drifts too close to my canopy. I'm already preparing to land so I don't notice him getting close. I steal his air, he drops to about 20-30 ft below me. He steals my air, I drop about 50 ft straight into the little swampy creek that runs through the middle of Fryar DZ.

Then as I'm unassing myself from the creek, fearful that Riggers are going to come and kill me in my sleep for getting their precious parachute wet and muddy, something hits me in the head so hard I end up face down in the mud. At first I thought someone came down on top of me, but I look up, and the next stick is still at least 400 ft up. I look around, and see my ballistic helmet on the ground, no . . . wait, my helmet is on my head. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over?

So I pick it up and take it with me to the buses, to my extremely grateful student platoon sergeant, who makes sure I don't have to pull CQ for the rest of the week. I was also officially known as Dirt Dart in C/507th after this incident. After that I had 3 perfect PLFs and 1 FAH, even though conditions quickly turned poor that week as Hurricane Rita was starting to stir up the weather over the DZ.
Same thing happened to me in ABN, except the helmet part. They actually took photos of me and the other guy (AF SERE instructor). Then, on my 9th jump (in the 82d), I got my air stolen and broke my back...so...good luck with that.

Welcome. I think you're making the same decision I would've made had I not branched IN. You may just want to wait until ascession date...but if you're hard core EM - just enlist. Your PMS probably has little to no interaction with any recruiters. All he/she cares about is puttin in Os.

As for not seeing much troop time; it depends. My best friend was a PL in the 101st for 18 months, B/3/75 for 4 years, and is a team leader in 5/19 now. When he pins major, he'll find some troop leading assignment (CA, probably). Its all relative.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03

Return to “Introduction Archive”