Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Charisi
Embryo

Post by Charisi »

I assure you that my feelings were not hurt, nor was I attempting to make "excuses" for myself. I was stating the facts of the situation. Whether or not people choose to believe that is their prerogative. I have a great deal to get done in the next two months if I am to ship to boot in January. So again, I do not have hours a day to sit here waiting for someone to tell me what to do. I am sorry you feel if I was disrespectful, as that was not my intent. I am not in the military yet, and therefore should not be expected to adhere to military codes and standards. I do not wish to, "throw away" this vast resource, but at the same time, I have barely scratched the surface of learning the way of things here, and I already have someone jumping down my throat because I haven't done a PT test yet. My original post explained why I was waiting, (physically anyway), to ship to boot. I would love to learn the way of things before I go, but will not be treated as if I am in boot camp, and government property already. I would appreciate if you would treat me with the same respect that you expect from me.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Ok, mabey you don't understand what is going on here. There are methods to what is asked of you. You don't have to remind any of us here that you aren't in the military. That is clear enough. You say that you respect us and appreciate what we have gone through. Start by doing what is asked of you. When you get to your basic training you will most likely have cadre your age or younger, and it's very likley that they will have combat experience. They outrank you for a reason. I assure you that when you get to basic training and beyond no one will give a rat's ass what you have done because you haven't done anything yet in the military. As much as I tried, when I got to RIP I had a similar attitude to yours. I had left the National Guard as an E-5. Believe me when I say I paid a price for it, and changed my outlook immediately.

You need to start figuring out how to multi-task better. A diagnostic PT test should take you 30 minutes out of your day, if that, and less than 5 to sign on and post it. Surely you can squeeze 35 minutes into your busy schedule, no? If you are given hit-times and drop-dead times do you think your superiors will care why you missed them? It will only matter that you did. Your not making a hard time will have compounding effects to someone, usually detrimental. No one is asking you to spend 12 hours a day logged on. But you say you came here looking for advice. It would take you a few minutes to sign on and check the posts to see if there any advice that you seek and respond appropriately.

Most people using this site never had a resource like this before we enlisted. I guarantee it will help you in your endeavors, but you need to change your way of thinking right now. Two months will go by in a blink. You need to understand that there will be only 4 acceptable statements to come from your mouth once you get to basic;

1) "Yes, Sergeant"
2) "No, Sergeant"
3) "No excuse, Sergeant"
4) "I'll make it happen, Sergeant"

I'm not trying to break balls, just telling you like it is. If you don't have the right attitude now, you wont in two months or two years.

I don't expect a response. Take this for what is is.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

To achieve the level of mental & physical discipline necessary just to get in the door to Regiment, you need to begin to get into better shape & begin yesterday, regardless of how fit you think you are now.
Mental toughness & self discipline is huge - much more so than you can comprehend right now.
These Rangers aren't breaking your chops because they feel like it - they're trying to do you a favor. From the time you enter basic until you leave the Army, you will be tasked to fit 9 pounds into a 5 pound bag.
You will never have enough time, yet, when you serve in a Ranger Battalion, you'll still get it all done.
Provided that you ever get there. Odds are you won't.
If you're feelings are at all hurt now, just wait. Your drill sergeants have a saying: "It's all mind over matter; we don't mind and you don't matter".
Quite right.
There's a LOT of excellent information on this board - it's spread throughout the forums - we've got 'em just for working out, read all the airborne & RIP threads. Chances are that if you can think of the question, it's already here somewhere.
Now, at your age, it WILL be harder just because.
You'll have to overcome missing your wife & kids. There WILL be times when your mission will have to come before calling them or spending time with them. That time has arrived already - have you done another workout yet? Start training them too.
Whether or not you get to Regiment, you'll need to be fit to go to war, and that's where you're going no matter where you wind up in the Army - so do your family a favor: Get More Fit
Even if you wimp out and don't join up (& spend the rest of your life making excuses to yourself & others), you'll be healthier.
Everyone with 'Ranger' under their name has been where you are now - wondering if you have the balls to even try, much less whether or not you'll make it. We might know a thing or two about the journey, some of these guys have already tried to help you, whether or not you recognise it.
Anyway, the biggest part is internal - it's your will to win. First step is the hardest.
Go down & sign the line now & be done with it. If you wait you'll wimp out & spend the rest of your life being pitiful.
Get fit, the mental part is easier if you don't have to fight a weak body.
Enjoy the holidays with the family, but dont neglect your workouts or the homework you'll need to do.
There's some sort of program DEPs can participate in through your recruiter whereby if you meet certain goals, you enter the army 1-2 pay grades higher (extra $ for the family right?) - check it out.
And here we have a mentoring program, if anyone decides you're worth their time.
There's some Rangers here who made it from square one like you hope to, but did so even older, so, it can be done.
Here ya go: Check your atttitude. Check your fitness.
Might as wel begin now, you gain nothing by waiting and lose much for every day you delay.

Or, you could just join the navy reserve.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
freefalle7
Ranger

Post by freefalle7 »

Well everyone here has been pretty respectful and nice to you.

This really surprises me after reading your post.

Im going to give you a big reality check..

Respect, that is somthing that is earned, not given.

The Drill SGT/RIP instructor isnt going to give a rats ass about your feelings or your excuses.

You need to PT at least 1 houra day, 5-6 days a week.

You dont have time for PT? you should have spent 1 less hour sleeping and did some PT.

Bottom line you say you want to be a Ranger? no problem hit the track/gym 1 or more hours a day, make sure you push yourself!!.

Start working on pushups, situps, pullups and the 2 mile run.

Like everyone said 12-13 mins is a good time for the run.

Post your results and im sure from the wealth of knowlege we can get you in the right direction.

Don't give excuses, the cold hard truth is; nobody gives a damn about excuses.

Work hard and good luck.

RLTW!
FREE

Charisi wrote:I assure you that my feelings were not hurt, nor was I attempting to make "excuses" for myself. I was stating the facts of the situation. Whether or not people choose to believe that is their prerogative. I have a great deal to get done in the next two months if I am to ship to boot in January. So again, I do not have hours a day to sit here waiting for someone to tell me what to do. I am sorry you feel if I was disrespectful, as that was not my intent. I am not in the military yet, and therefore should not be expected to adhere to military codes and standards. I do not wish to, "throw away" this vast resource, but at the same time, I have barely scratched the surface of learning the way of things here, and I already have someone jumping down my throat because I haven't done a PT test yet. My original post explained why I was waiting, (physically anyway), to ship to boot. I would love to learn the way of things before I go, but will not be treated as if I am in boot camp, and government property already. I would appreciate if you would treat me with the same respect that you expect from me.
Ranger Class # 06-07

A trp 1/17 CAV 82nd ABN DIV 91-95
F co 51st INF (LRS)(ABN) 95-97
A co 1/325 82nd ABN DIV 97-99
Aco 2/19 INF ITB 99-02
B co 3/504 82nd ABN DIV 02-03
HHC 82nd ABN Div 03-07
Currently on orders to 6th RTB
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Charisi wrote: I would appreciate if you would treat me with the same respect that you expect from me.

...and just how have you earned it ? Just curious?

Have you Humped the jungles of vietnam?

Did you jump under fire into a hot DZ in Grenada or Panama?

Where you running the streets of Mogidishu when the Blackhawks went down?

Did you fire a basic load at Takur Ghar?

Have you walked the mean streets of Bagdad?

Do you know the agony of watching one of your soldiers die on the table in front of you ?

Have you ever felt the squishy feeling of blood between your toes and realize that it is draining from your blisters and out of the drain gromets on your boots.....and you still had 7 miles to go?

Have you ever givin up your camel back because you know one of your boys is "black" on water.

Do you know what a combination of burning diesel, rubber and flesh smells like ?

Have you felt the sting of another childs birthday missed while you ruck up for another mission?

Do you know the biteing cold of standing to guard post in the rain on a christmas night.

Have you looked into the eyes of a mother or wife as you present the colors "on behalf of a greatful nation"?

........I didnt think so....

SO why was it I was supposed to respect you again ?
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

rgrpuck wrote:

SO why was it I was supposed to respect you again ?

Golly Puck, that was mean. You forget what mommy and his teachers told him. he's a special snowflake, just like the rest of us. all different but equal. doesn't matter if he doesn't win the competition games as long as he tries, because he's a unique individual and important. Doesn't matter that he hasn't done a single thing in our world, he's as special as any of us, as good as any of us. he just hasn't done any of the things we've done. that's not his fault. so he deserves equal treatment don't you see.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

I am going to do you a favor and put an end to this right now.

You have no clue whatsoever what a hardship is like. I don't care what your story is. Do 1 of the things listed above and I'll give you a pass.

Truth is you have a long way to come and you're "me time" is gone. You want to enlist, you're doing it for the "us" part of this nation.

Don't post in this thread again until you learn how to address the members and stop making excuses. 16 year old boys come onto this board and outperform you on the intro section on a monthly basis.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

As we began the new century in America, I began noticing that somehow we have developed confused concepts about equality and respect. Although they got it right at the beginning of the nation, the issue of equality has become focused away from the legal sense. What it really means is that in the eyes of the law, judgement is not based on race, religion, or creed; rather it is based on merit. That said, we all know that nothing is ever really equal. Issues of class, wealth, education, etc. all play a part. Quite frankly, I have never felt that I am better than anyone -- but on the other hand, there isn't anyone better than me. Respect is earned -- just as a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment is earned. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

As Andy says: "I'm not the way I am because I'm a Ranger. I'm a Ranger because of the way I am."
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Listen to me you little fucking turd, you know shit. The sooner you realize that and accept it the better. You want to be a Ranger and I was trying to advise you on what to do to start here. There are reason's for it, and I'm not the least bit inclined to explain why to the likes of you.

The way I addressed you was a test. Your first of many. Guess what numbnuts? You fucking failed miserably. Lose the goddamned attitude and listen up.

If you think I "jumped" down your throat, boyo, you got another thing coming if you even make it to RIP. I'm fairly certain that if you think that was bad, the RIP instructors, some of whom are here right now, reading your post, will have you in fucking tears of pain, of being scared, tired, wet, cold, feeling like you are physically going to die if you have to take one more step.

Your attitude sucks, you still haven't read the Rules and Regs yet and if you have you've chosen to ignore them.

There are hundreds of young men that want an OPT 40 contract, that are smarter, fitter and more readily trainable than you. Think about that.

You want respect? Tough shit. I want a fucking 76 Trans Am but ain't no-one giving one to me.

Unbeknownst to you, you were getting respect, each time a Ranger tried to advise you as to what to do. Situational awareness, see the big picture, think before you speak, even then, say very little, actions not words, are what EARN you respect.

I'm not offended by your BOLDNESS, actually that's a Ranger trait, but you ain't a Ranger, yet.

It's a very small world you're looking to enter. Read, learn, listen.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Charisi wrote:I assure you that my feelings were not hurt, nor was I attempting to make "excuses" for myself. I was stating the facts of the situation. Whether or not people choose to believe that is their prerogative. I have a great deal to get done in the next two months if I am to ship to boot in January. So again, I do not have hours a day to sit here waiting for someone to tell me what to do. I am sorry you feel if I was disrespectful, as that was not my intent. I am not in the military yet, and therefore should not be expected to adhere to military codes and standards. I do not wish to, "throw away" this vast resource, but at the same time, I have barely scratched the surface of learning the way of things here, and I already have someone jumping down my throat because I haven't done a PT test yet. My original post explained why I was waiting, (physically anyway), to ship to boot. I would love to learn the way of things before I go, but will not be treated as if I am in boot camp, and government property already. I would appreciate if you would treat me with the same respect that you expect from me.

Shut the fuck up.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

And furthermore we don't...aww fuck it.

You're a cunt.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

First of all..its Basic Training, not "boot". You are correct, your not in the military yet, but as has been pointed out, you came here, we did not go in search of you.

The good Sergeant Major hit you with some points that all here could relate to except you. So, we will treat you with no respect as in our eyes you have not earned it.

In fact, today I'm inclined to agree with the Heathen clad in Kilt.

But because we are trying to be a "kinder - gentler ArmyRanger.com", I'm going to send you an ROE PM.

Read it, think it about and you decided if this is a place you want to be.

DO NOT RESPOND VIA PM to me.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Post by Charisi »

Kilted Heathen wrote:And furthermore we don't...aww fuck it.

You're a cunt.
I think this just about sums things up. Whilst I do have respect for those that have fought and died for this country, I do not think that simply because you joined a branch of the armed service, makes you somehow better than me. Sure, you can out PT me at any given time, and out perform me in many other tasks. Does that make you the better person you so claim to be? In short, no. I could go on at length and in detail about everything that is wrong with the statement above, and debate opinions until Jesus comes back, but it would do no good. Whilst I do appreciate those that were respectful, and honestly did try and help me out, I will not be coming back to the boards here. The difference of listening to bullshit like this now and later is, once I have signed a contract, I have to put up with it, and don't have a choice. Now however, I do not have to listen to it, nor must I put up with it. You enjoy your time calling people "cunts" and the like, and violating the very rules you say I have broken, especially with name calling and poor grammar/spelling. If it makes you feel better to try and somehow prove that you are a better person than I by resorting to calling me various colorful names, then so be it. I could sit here all day and come up with comments/insults that are far more colorful/better than yours, but again, I simply don't have the time. Hopefully the comments you will surely leave after this is posted will help you sleep better at night, knowing you got in the "final word" of calling me some colorful name, and not hearing another response from me. Good luck, and I wish you well in your life.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Like I said, close the door on your way out.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Charisi wrote:
Kilted Heathen wrote:And furthermore we don't...aww fuck it.

You're a cunt.
I think this just about sums things up. Whilst I do have respect for those that have fought and died for this country, I do not think that simply because you joined a branch of the armed service, makes you somehow better than me. Sure, you can out PT me at any given time, and out perform me in many other tasks. Does that make you the better person you so claim to be? In short, no. I could go on at length and in detail about everything that is wrong with the statement above, and debate opinions until Jesus comes back, but it would do no good. Whilst I do appreciate those that were respectful, and honestly did try and help me out, I will not be coming back to the boards here. The difference of listening to bullshit like this now and later is, once I have signed a contract, I have to put up with it, and don't have a choice. Now however, I do not have to listen to it, nor must I put up with it. You enjoy your time calling people "cunts" and the like, and violating the very rules you say I have broken, especially with name calling and poor grammar/spelling. If it makes you feel better to try and somehow prove that you are a better person than I by resorting to calling me various colorful names, then so be it. I could sit here all day and come up with comments/insults that are far more colorful/better than yours, but again, I simply don't have the time. Hopefully the comments you will surely leave after this is posted will help you sleep better at night, knowing you got in the "final word" of calling me some colorful name, and not hearing another response from me. Good luck, and I wish you well in your life.
This is not at all acurate.

I can fucking spell.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

Return to “Introduction Archive”