Longest Recon

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Slowpoke wrote:Fuck it, I'll stay bald. That is some nasty shit.
I'm thinking the same way.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

At a party last year, the night before the induction ceremony for the Ranger Hall of Fame, we made a LRRP Punch in honor of my old Team Leader. He had gone on to SF after his tour in RVN as a LRRP. One of his assignments was in Greece training Cadets, so one of the ingrediants in the Punch was Oozo. It also had a bottle each of Beer 33, Thunderbird wine, Irish whiskey, and Hawaiian rum. The only thing you could taste was licorice from the oozo. We toasted him and drank it anyway, but it was awful.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Slowpoke wrote:At a party last year, the night before the induction ceremony for the Ranger Hall of Fame, we made a LRRP Punch in honor of my old Team Leader. He had gone on to SF after his tour in RVN as a LRRP. One of his assignments was in Greece training Cadets, so one of the ingrediants in the Punch was Oozo. It also had a bottle each of Beer 33, Thunderbird wine, Irish whiskey, and Hawaiian rum. The only thing you could taste was licorice from the oozo. We toasted him and drank it anyway, but it was awful.
I made a mistake in the spelling of ouzo.

The trick with ouzo is, you pour 2 shots in a glass and add water. The water turns the ouzo milk white. The more water the whiter and less powerful it gets. They usually drink it with octopus or other seafood appetizers. The hard core drinks it straight. It’s like sambouka in Italy. If you ever go to Greece Tsipouro is the moonshine ouzo you must try.

Have a email friend (ret) Ltc Ed ... that tells me he was in Greece in 1963 with SF before going to Nam. He said they all were plastered on ouzo and the Greek Col. came in at o dark thirty mustered them into something that flies and they made their jumps “drunk as a skunkâ€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Ando

Hey Rangers.

Post by Ando »

Rangers...I know it says newt on the left there, and a ranger i AM NOT, but i do have a little experience for a young fella.

I was just wondering how the recon system works in the US. For example, in the UK we have Battalion Recce Troops who work closely with their units and dont venture to far forward of the FEBA. Then we have Brigade recce units, like the RM BPT and the Pathfinders who operate on long range recce patrols, offensive action etc. And then we have Strategic Recce, like my old Territorial unit, who operate in small patrols independantly of other units and can be anything upto 300km behind the lines.

Do you run a similar system? If so, which units are assigned which tasks. Sorry if this has been answered before, but Im a Brit, and i only know how we do it.
Last edited by Ando on May 17th, 2004, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ando

For Brit read...

Post by Ando »

For Brit, read dumbass but tough...heh :P
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Without violateing OPSEC, I can say that our recon units are set up pretty much the same as yours (with minor differences I'm sure). As to who does what for whom....I think that's better left alone.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Hey Rangers.

Post by Steadfast »

Ando wrote:Rangers, if you havent read my intro, please do before reading this post...I know it says newt on the left there, and a ranger i AM NOT, but i do have a little experience for a young fella.

I was just wondering how the recon system works in the US. For example, in the UK we have Battalion Recce Troops who work closely with their units and dont venture to far forward of the FEBA. Then we have Brigade recce units, like the RM BPT and the Pathfinders who operate on long range recce patrols, offensive action etc. And then we have Strategic Recce, like my old Territorial unit, who operate in small patrols independantly of other units and can be anything upto 300km behind the lines.

Do you run a similar system? If so, which units are assigned which tasks. Sorry if this has been answered before, but Im a Brit, and i only know how we do it.
I don't think I need to read your intro post since it is I that responded to you within 10 minutes of your 1st post. But I do think you a bit of a english smartass young whipper snapper :roll: without explaining your acroynms and recce patrols. some of us are older than The Rangers on this site that have gone to your country to do exercises. Book learning and doing actual missions are two different animals.
Last edited by Steadfast on May 17th, 2004, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I agree with slowpoke on the recon issue.

The names are a bit different but the work is the same.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Ando

Post by Ando »

Roger Ranger Steadfast. I know i have a long way to go. I assumed that the Rangers on this site know better than me, so i didnt explain. I forgot that your acronyms etc are different. Sorry. I just want to discuss my small amount of knowledge, and build on it by learning from more experienced soldiers. Thankyou for your input.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Ando wrote:Roger Ranger Steadfast. I know i have a long way to go. I assumed that the Rangers on this site know better than me, so i didnt explain. I forgot that your acronyms etc are different. Sorry. I just want to discuss my small amount of knowledge, and build on it by learning from more experienced soldiers. Thankyou for your input.
Don't thank me for my input, answer my question sonny. I can arrange to put your young ass on my shit list for all time.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Ando

Acronyms.

Post by Ando »

Ranger Steadfast, one of the acronyms i used were FEBA which means Forward Edge of Battle Area, and having read a lot of the recon posts here, i think its roughly the same as AO for you guys. Its the area that extends beyond a battalions operational area, where the recce patrols operate. It is also the frontline when a set-piece battle moves beyond the reconnaisance phase.

RM BPT is the unit that i one day want to serve with, its the Royal Marines Brigade Patrol Troop, and its equivalent to the USMC Force Recon.

Was that the question you wanted answered Ranger Steadfast?
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Acronyms.

Post by Steadfast »

Ando wrote:Ranger Steadfast, one of the acronyms i used were FEBA which means Forward Edge of Battle Area, and having read a lot of the recon posts here, i think its roughly the same as AO for you guys. Its the area that extends beyond a battalions operational area, where the recce patrols operate. It is also the frontline when a set-piece battle moves beyond the reconnaisance phase.

RM BPT is the unit that i one day want to serve with, its the Royal Marines Brigade Patrol Troop, and its equivalent to the USMC Force Recon.

No they weren't the one. It is in your location Poole, UK

What does UK stand for? "You 'Kay"? for "Are you okay"?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Steadfast wrote:
Ando wrote:Roger Ranger Steadfast. I know i have a long way to go. I assumed that the Rangers on this site know better than me, so i didnt explain. I forgot that your acronyms etc are different. Sorry. I just want to discuss my small amount of knowledge, and build on it by learning from more experienced soldiers. Thankyou for your input.
Don't thank me for my input, answer my question sonny. I can arrange to put your young ass on my shit list for all time.
:?
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Acronyms.

Post by Steadfast »

Ando wrote:Ranger Steadfast, one of the acronyms i used were FEBA which means Forward Edge of Battle Area, and having read a lot of the recon posts here, i think its roughly the same as AO for you guys. Its the area that extends beyond a battalions operational area, where the recce patrols operate. It is also the frontline when a set-piece battle moves beyond the reconnaisance phase.

Actually you did Ando and I thank you. One other thing I have a question on and it is a genuine question. The word you use so freely - recce - can you give me the up and up on how this word came about? I would be bloody thankful for the answer. :lol:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Reconnaissance”