Touchy asthma subject

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
AndrewH
Egg

Touchy asthma subject

Post by AndrewH »

Hi. Just registered here.

I was looking into re-enlisting, but I'm stuck in a bit of a bite with it. I was discharged out of basic around the last week or two, for excersize induced asthma back in 2005. I got back with the same recruiter, along with my cousin who's an E-5...and both said it would be possible to re-enlist. I'm headed to the recruiters in about a half an hour so he can look at my DD 214's. My re-enlistment code is 3, which I suppose would allow me to re-enlist if I could get a waiver. What are the steps I would have to do to get back in the ARMY, or get the waiver? From what I was told, this is going to be very difficult since I was diagnosed by a military doctor. Here's the touchy part of it....I had gotten checked out (Pulmonary functions test) and the results came back negative for asthma, and it was just excersize related/out of shape basically. If I could get the waiver, would it be possible to go back as a Combat Engineer, or would this prevent me from going back as a 21B?

Thanks.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Post an intro.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Even though you haven't posted an Intro as required (and instructed) I'll respond to this.. (Not directed to any one person, but all those trying to get waivers for "asthma"..)

For those who don't know, (Including those people who have had asthma in the past or are currently diagnosed with it..) Asthma is some methyl-ethyl nasty shit. I'm not going to get into a long drawn out explanation about what it is and what causes it. Those that don't know, Google "Reactive Airway Disease" or "asthma" and find out for yourself. Suffice it to say you can't get enough air into your lungs. If you have had it once, you can have it again. Damn near anything can set it off; Dust, mold, cold, exersize, stress.. you name it. This condition requires immediate attention when it hits you or you can die. Quickly and painfully. The longer an attack goes untreated, the more likely that you will wind up in an ICU on a ventilator with a tube down your throat to breathe.. if not deader than fried chicken. Those reading this who have had asthma attacks know exactly what I'm talking about.

If you have ever had asthma and still want to be Infantry, let alone Ranger, my hat is off to you. The whole "failure is not an option" attitude is commendable. However, you really need to consider what you are trying to do, and what kind of liability you will be to your brothers. Think about it long and hard.. would YOU want someone on your fire team who might have to drop back to use his puffer.. or worse still, to be taken out of action by an attack? If you say yes, I say you are full of shit.

Sometimes reality is a bitter pill to swallow. I know this first hand. I had just decided to stay for 20 years when I was discharged medically. Shit, I had just re-upped for 5 years, the first 3 of which were for present duty assignment at RTB. I wanted to get my Tab, go into SF, mebbe drill sergeant?.. and then it came crashing down. So long..Thanks for coming..There is the exit.. but I've dealt with it and moved on.

My point is this; If you have a condition such as asthma where you can be a danger to yourself or others, you might want to reconsider your job choice. That isn't to say you can't serve honorably in a different field. For every Ranger, there are at least 10 non-infantry MOS' supporting him. A lot are represented in the newly formed Ranger support Battalions. Like the line in "Star Wars", Your destiny may lie on a different path.

I'm not trying to hate, but do you really want to try and get that waiver for asthma? (edited to add:)Any asthma attack can be the one that kills you.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Medical Issues”