Elliptical Trainer

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

Matador 275, I had a similar feeling about the results the computers were telling me so I asked around. What I was told was that since elliptical trainers have grips to work your upper body and lower body at the same time the formula they use calculates calories burned assuming you are using the handles. Your body burns more calories with more muscles involved.

I'll have to dig some more and see if I can find the test results I found once but the gist of it was that if you don't use the handles then the calories burned is almost identical on a treadmill or elliptical at the same METS.

Similar discussion elsewhere on the net...
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=585678
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

bulldogg wrote:Matador 275, I had a similar feeling about the results the computers were telling me so I asked around. What I was told was that since elliptical trainers have grips to work your upper body and lower body at the same time the formula they use calculates calories burned assuming you are using the handles. Your body burns more calories with more muscles involved.

I'll have to dig some more and see if I can find the test results I found once but the gist of it was that if you don't use the handles then the calories burned is almost identical on a treadmill or elliptical at the same METS.

Similar discussion elsewhere on the net...
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=585678
Bulldog,

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a thorough read tomorrow. Usually, when I get on the elliptical trainer, I don't grab the handles. I figured that the balancing act of doing the exercise without the handles would trigger an even better workout.
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

Bulldog- I have noticed that METS indicator (along with miles, cals, heartrate, etc.) on some of the machines I jump on at the gym-- what does that METS one measure?
ProudAFDad, a MET is a metabolic unit... basicly one MET is the energy used to sit and do nothing. I've read and found that METs are the best way to compare the intensity of a workout from one activity to another. So rather than calories burned I use METs to see if I'm working as hard as I think I am so when I vary my workout on the different aerobic machines I keep the intensity the same.

Matador, if you're looking for a way to burn the most calories in the least amount of time I would find a VersaClimber... have a mop handy.
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

bulldogg wrote:
Matador, if you're looking for a way to burn the most calories in the least amount of time I would find a VersaClimber... have a mop handy.
We used to have one in the BFC and I'd pretty much be dead after 10-15 minutes on that thing. Haven't seen one anywhere since, but I did ask our local gym guy to order two of them, two rowing machines (the one's the Holmchicken was raving about) and replace all our treadmills, since they are worn out.

Let's see what happens.
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

I've found that an hour on an Elliptical Trainer was a good workout....I don't even mind the onboard computer.....just know yourself.
Rowing machines seems ok,and they provide a smooth workout, but the ET seems to really get the best overall results for me personally.
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07

Return to “About Army Physical Training”