ECWS Tents?

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

ECWS Tents?

Post by hobbit »

A number of military surplus (used) 5-man ECWS four season tents are currently available on ebay, going in the $400-$500 price range. Supposedly the military paid North Face $3800 each for these tents. They're supposed to be super rugged, completely waterproof yet breathable, double stitched, and seam taped. They also come with two rain flys -a summer cammo and a white winter fly (I love this feature), and 13mm Easton aluminum alloy poles. North face says that properly staked, these tents can withstand a 107 mph gale. It weighs in at a hefty 38 lbs.

So have any of you guys had any experience (good or bad) with this tent? I'm heading waaaay up to Fort McMurray in Northern Alberta in ten days and I'm leaving the motor home in storage this time. I'll be in the Jeep and doing a lot of tent camping up and back and I'm really tempted to buy one of these ECWS tents before I leave. I've been using a North Face Coriolis for the past ten years, and it's served me well, but it's getting a little threadbare now and I want something bigger and more comfortable.

The North Face ECWS military tent:

L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Oto-Man
Ranger

Re: ECWS Tents?

Post by Oto-Man »

hobbit wrote:
So have any of you guys had any experience (good or bad) with this tent?
That particular tent? Why? Did you find pecker tracks on the drapes? :shock: :lol: :lol:

No I haven't had any experience with that style of tent...

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 8)

All seriousness aside...I have read some great reviews on them...and $500 seems like a perdy good deal...
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I have pretty much that same exact tent, Scuba or Madslasher will testify as I had it up last weekend at our West Coast get together. Madslasher used it saturday night, while I put my larger tent up for my family on saturday evening.It is an expedition quality tent. I mine was called the VE-25 or something like that as the model number.

A family member bought it for me about 15 years ago and I have not had a problem with it. The main difference is that mine was about $500-600 brand new.

If you can get one of these babies for $400-500, I'd highly recommend it as a solid piece of equipment. Mines a bit smaller though - 3 people at most or two comfortably with all your gear inside the tent also. I noticed on the spec sheet that mine weighs in at 10 lbs. 11 oz., while the one you posted you said weighs in at 38 lbs. I've no doubt thats a much larger tent than mine, but still expedition quality - you would be pretty comfortable in any weather in that thing with a couple of candle lanterns to warm the ambient temperature inside.

The funny story about this tent is that I brought it with me and slept in it with two others, one guy from my company and a commo guy from SF during our PLDC 'field problem' and it rained like a bitch the whole time. The instructors tried to tell me I couldn't use it, but I told them it was one of our team winter ops tents (with the white fly over it) and that we didn't have shelter halves issued to us. In the mean time the legs had mud running through their shelter half tents the whole time and we were high, dry and camouflaged with a few boughs of evergreen over the top of it. It was one of the better get-overs on the regular army during my time at 2/75.

Links: Link 1, link 2
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

If you're looking at camping in the cold, and dropping some bread to do it properly, look at Kifaru tee-pees. I have one of their hooches, and I love it. I can put a woodstove in it! It makes a huge difference in quality of life when the temperature drops.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Spartan wrote:I have pretty much that same exact tent, Scuba or Madslasher will testify as I had it up last weekend at our West Coast get together. Madslasher used it saturday night, while I put my larger tent up for my family on saturday evening.It is an expedition quality tent. I mine was called the VE-25 or something like that as the model number.

A family member bought it for me about 15 years ago and I have not had a problem with it. The main difference is that mine was about $500-600 brand new.

If you can get one of these babies for $400-500, I'd highly recommend it as a solid piece of equipment. Mines a bit smaller though - 3 people at most or two comfortably with all your gear inside the tent also. I noticed on the spec sheet that mine weighs in at 10 lbs. 11 oz., while the one you posted you said weighs in at 38 lbs. I've no doubt thats a much larger tent than mine, but still expedition quality - you would be pretty comfortable in any weather in that thing with a couple of candle lanterns to warm the ambient temperature inside.

The funny story about this tent is that I brought it with me and slept in it with two others, one guy from my company and a commo guy from SF during our PLDC 'field problem' and it rained like a bitch the whole time. The instructors tried to tell me I couldn't use it, but I told them it was one of our team winter ops tents (with the white fly over it) and that we didn't have shelter halves issued to us. In the mean time the legs had mud running through their shelter half tents the whole time and we were high, dry and camouflaged with a few boughs of evergreen over the top of it. It was one of the better get-overs on the regular army during my time at 2/75.

Links: Link 1, link 2
Yep, that North Face VE25 is a very nice tent. I'll tell you though, I'm getting to the point where I want something I can stand my 6'1" frame up in without stooping over. That means a center height of at least 6'3". That's the only thing I have against the ECWS military tent. Its center height is 5'4". It's really come down to the wire between the military issue ECWS and one of Cabela's Alaskan Guide dome tents. The 6-man version stands 6'3" at the center, has 90 sq. ft. of floorspace without a vestibule, and is probably the strongest tent of its size currently available. There's a short video on the web site showing a big guy standing on the tent poles where they meet at a "V", and the tent is supporting his weight!

http://tinyurl.com/3dl8v6
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

GoldCoast wrote:If you're looking at camping in the cold, and dropping some bread to do it properly, look at Kifaru tee-pees. I have one of their hooches, and I love it. I can put a woodstove in it! It makes a huge difference in quality of life when the temperature drops.
X 2 ! I own a Zulu pack and am trying to justify a tee-pee or para hooch.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
GoldCoast wrote:If you're looking at camping in the cold, and dropping some bread to do it properly, look at Kifaru tee-pees. I have one of their hooches, and I love it. I can put a woodstove in it! It makes a huge difference in quality of life when the temperature drops.
Strangely, I HAD a zulu pack, but I gave it to a good friend of mine for a wedding present. He thought it was the best gift he'd ever gotten. He spent a year lusting after it before I just let him have it...

The para-tarp is where it's at.(that's what I have) It's right up there with the poncho liner on my list of things to take camping.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
I was looking at the para hooch, but bought the SnowPeak Ponta for $55 instead. I've never used a tarp instead of a tent before, so if it sucks, then I'm just out $55. If it works great, then I'll probably grab the para hooch. It's Kifaru quality and the price is right inline with other high-end tarps. I need a new pack too, and the Kifaru Express or the Zulu keep catching my eye.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto

Return to “Personal Gear”