Newts - Efforts to Join the Army/Rangers and Workout Plans

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
rollinslite
Egg

Post by rollinslite »

Ranger Spartan,

I took the ASVAB yesterday, got a 99.

I run 3-5 times a week. usually for endurance but do sprints on my shorter days.

I do a circuit of pull-ups, pushups, lateral raises and military presses, one-legged squats, and calf raises 3 times a week. Within the next month or so, I should be able to max out the APFT for 17-21 year olds.
I.H.S.V.
rollinslite
Last edited by rollinslite on May 13th, 2004, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monsoon
Ranger

Post by Monsoon »

Ranger deleon275, do you think it would be ok to stay with the weight gainer for a little while, since I'm only a Freshman, and then as it gets closer to time for me to enlist get off of it and just go with the "balanced meal" diet. The problem is my metabolism is so fast, I can lose a pound jus by sleeping at night. Thank you for the help.
Bell

Post by Bell »

swimmerkid187 wrote:Yes Sir Ranger Deleon275, I think Ill stick with the Ensure and eat a more carb based meal. However, about the mental toughness, I cant really think of a way to test it besides sticking with the workout schedule and trying to improve on everything. If you or anyother Rangers have a suggestion it would be appreciated.

Thank you again.

We're gonna start calling you guys out when ya do this. Sir? Officers are Sirs fellas. You might as well get yer military mind in gear as this will get you some serious smoke down range.

Now drop and give me 10.

RLTW
Bell
Shallow Grave
Ranger

Post by Shallow Grave »

swimmerkid187 wrote:Monsoon,
Im not an expert, but if you dont mind my opinion Ill be willing to share it.
Just a reminder to all the Newts out there, we're not supposed to offer our opinion on this site, ever. PM's would probably be the best way to trade advice on matters such as weight gaining and workout routines. Its one thing to answer Ranger Spartan's questions about your current workout routine, giving out advice is best left to the Rangers.
C Co. 3/75 Ranger Regiment
Nov. 2005-present
Ranger School Class 04-08

Adapt and Overcome. Don't whine, just do it. Don't complain, just do it. Don't put on a suck face and want sympathy. Man the fuck up. - Ranger Disinfertention
Ranger Hopps
Ranger

Post by Ranger Hopps »

Way to square him away Deep End

Hopps
1/75 Feb. '05-Jul '08

RS class 04-07

Ranger Saltbitch wrote: "...you will face fear and pain. Do not stop, do not listen; it will only give you excuses to quit."
Runner
Ranger

Post by Runner »

I also want to be a Ranger. I havent gotten to the recruiters yet (I'm a sophmore) and havent taken the ASVAB. I'm still workin out the workout, but Swimmerkids looks pretty damn good. If I don't use his it will be a variation of it.

Thanks,
Malarkey
A co 3/75 '07-'10
deleon275
Ranger

Post by deleon275 »

swimmerkid187 wrote:Yes Sir Ranger Deleon275, I think Ill stick with the Ensure and eat a more carb based meal. However, about the mental toughness, I cant really think of a way to test it besides sticking with the workout schedule and trying to improve on everything. If you or anyother Rangers have a suggestion it would be appreciated.

Thank you again.
I'm not a sir! :P

Anyways, if you wanna test your mental strength and you have the funds to do it, I'd suggest going to an army surplus store and buying a rucksack, frame, and some combat boots. Roadmarch starting with 35lbs and work your way up gradually to 65 to 80 lbs. Set a pace for a minimum of 15 minute miles and distance is dependant on the terrain. Everytime I went on block leave all my pt consisted of road marches since I was on a gun team and carried insane amounts of weight. Of course if you live in a cold climate you can spend every night sleeping outside, waking up every hour and pretend you're pulling guard for 30 minutes :)

Good luck
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
deleon275
Ranger

Post by deleon275 »

Monsoon wrote:Ranger deleon275, do you think it would be ok to stay with the weight gainer for a little while, since I'm only a Freshman, and then as it gets closer to time for me to enlist get off of it and just go with the "balanced meal" diet. The problem is my metabolism is so fast, I can lose a pound jus by sleeping at night. Thank you for the help.
I'm in the same boat as you. I can't eat fast enough to keep any weight on. Since you're a freshman and have plenty of time, weight gainer powder would be ok, but realize you're still young and you wont gain much muslce mass and strength very quickly until you're in your 20's. You're body still growing and changing and thats priority. Trust me, you'll get into shape during basic/ait and airborne if you do PT on your own time as well.
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
deleon275
Ranger

Post by deleon275 »

Dont worry, after enough blisters your heels will turn into sandpaper, literally. I can scratch myself rubbing my skin against my heels 8)

Kiknskreem
Tadpole

Post by Kiknskreem »

Ranger Spartan, I plan on becomming a Ranger and have taken the ASVAB, my AFQT was 87.

Currently I am weight train with moderate running (2-4 times per week, 2-5 miles typically). I also do gymnastics (Rings and Single trap) which provides me with significant endurance. I will not be shipping until next summer, and will step up the APFT exercises after this summer.
Motivated. Dedicated. Heart and Soul.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

How many of you have started doing flutter-kicks for excercise and how many do you do at one time. This is one of the RIP instructors favorite exercises.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”