1911 Choices

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

My agency currently carries Glock 22s, but the new boss wants us to go .45, so next week I'll be heading out to the range to test the new SIG 1911 and also the P220. Now I have handled the new 1911, seems pretty sweet, great trigger and after carrying P226 in the box, I can say the SIG is an excellent gun. Anyone got any range time with the new SIG 1911?
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Hey Colt...

When I was sworn, my agency carred the Sig P220 and I can say, that is a DAMN fine weapon. From that weapon, we transitioned to the Glock 22, due to fucking females bitching about the Sig P220 being "too big for their hands"... Wah, fucking wah.

The Sig 1911 is a nice "feeling" weapon, I handled one a few times, never firing it. But, the reviews are not so good on it, having extractor problems and such.

Plus, the general public does not like to see an Officer walking around with the hammer cocked back. Such a shame because I would rather carry a 1911 any day. There are new triggers on the Sig P220... like the DAK, SAO, and SA/DA... along with DAO.

Look into the P220 if you are really liking the .45. The new P220 Tactical fits the bill nicely. It has a rail for mounting lights and such... very nice choice there.

I have a Glock 21, and it is a bit big for small hands. Fits my meat mits like a glove though...

Good luck, let us know what happens!!!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

'Preciate the S-2. Went out and shot both today. 220 is just like 226 I carried in the sandbox (read "SWEET"). The 1911 has excellent trigger pull. We're gonna shoot the Smith 1911 also. Boss likes 1911s (which is what I was born and raised on so "good to go" with me. Locked and cocked is no problem since we are coat and tie. Post more when I am trained up. Thanks!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

colt1rgr wrote:'Preciate the S-2. Went out and shot both today. 220 is just like 226 I carried in the sandbox (read "SWEET"). The 1911 has excellent trigger pull. We're gonna shoot the Smith 1911 also. Boss likes 1911s (which is what I was born and raised on so "good to go" with me. Locked and cocked is no problem since we are coat and tie. Post more when I am trained up. Thanks!
Roger that!

I thought you were uniformed... In that case, I would go with the 1911, since I too prefer that platform. However, I do not own one myself as of now. When I graduate, I am gonna get one as my present to myself for completing this gruelling course. My choice has been narrowed down to the Springfield Armory "Operator". I like the "Loaded", but this will be a carry piece, and I have no use for adjustable sights on a carry weapon.

I did like my Sig P220... even used to shoot production class with it, quite successfully. Then, we went to the plastic guns... and I lost my groove.

Good luck with your choice, and I look forward to reading more about it as you progress with the new weapon.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Finally got the Smith and Wesson rep out to the range. Shot their new 1911s in both stainless and iskandium. Damn good shooting guns, no complaints, but nod goes to the SIG handsdown. Of course being state agency it will come down to better deal :roll:

GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I haven't shot the S&W 1911, but I did run a box through the Sig 1911 last weekend. Very nice gun. My favorite so far, has been the Springfield "Operator TLE"... what a fine gun!

Now, I have put over 1000 rounds through my new little Glock 36 and must say, that is my new daily carry piece. As for a 1911, I believe that if you get a good one, from a reputable manufacturer... you can't go wrong.

I held a S&W M&P-45 the other day... WOW did that gun feel great! I have not had a chance to fire one yet... but, I will as soon as I can.

I shot the Springfield XD-45 and must say, I did not care for the trigger on it. It did not "break" cleanly for me... felt very "mushy". I guess you could get used to it, but... not something I would spend time doing. I like the Glock, I love a 1911, and I am very interested in the M&P-45... that thing just feels right.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Ranger1388
Ranger

Post by Ranger1388 »

I've got a Colt Combat Elite Series 80 that just keeps going and going and going. I've also owned a Kimber CDP Ultra II with an internal extractor that gave me a few problems during break in, but settled out nicely. I like the Kimbers, but I wouldn't get one unless it has an internal extractor. Too many issues with the external extractor models from what I've read. I don't ahve any eperience with Springfield .45's, but I think that it speaks volumes that Yost won't do custom work on Kimbers and will on the Springfields. That would make me pick the Springfield over the Kimber now that I'm aware of that little nugget of information. My next 1911 will be a Wilson or a NightHawk. Saving my pennies as we speak.

BTW, once you experience the consistency and smoothness of a 1911 trigger (provided it's a good one at 4 lbs or less) you'll never look back. Then you'll find yourself adding other 1911's to your collection. Next thing you know you'll be dreaming of a semi-custom or a custom. It's a disease really.

Best of luck to you and save some money for ammo.
Entered Service US Army on:16 OCT 1985, Basic Ft. Benning and Airborne School. 1/7th Infantry, 3ID in Aschaffenberg, West Germany 86-88. 2/505th PIR in the 82d Abn Division 88-92. Ranger School class number 13-88, 11 AUG 88 - 11 OCT 88, 58 day plan.
Tupac

Post by Tupac »

I carried a springfield 1911 A1 for 3 years. Then the XD .45 came out. As an all around combat pistol it is superior. It points like a 1911, carries 13+1, has trigger safety and grip safety, and I dominated our IDPA matches with it. At around $550, I bought it and haven't shot my 1911 in about 6 months. I've never had a malfunction. I was shooting this pistol so much that I had to buy an XD-9 to save on the cost of ammo.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Timmy wrote:I carried a springfield 1911 A1 for 3 years. Then the XD .45 came out. As an all around combat pistol it is superior. It points like a 1911, carries 13+1, has trigger safety and grip safety, and I dominated our IDPA matches with it. At around $550, I bought it and haven't shot my 1911 in about 6 months. I've never had a malfunction. I was shooting this pistol so much that I had to buy an XD-9 to save on the cost of ammo.
As I said above... I too really LOVE the way the XD feels in the hand. But... and this is a BIG but for me... I did not like the way the trigger broke, and I could not feel the reset. I guess I am so used to my Glocks, that I could not get acquainted to the trigger.

Other than that, I love the XD and would consider getting one. The SW had a nice trigger break, a bit of a long pull, and just dry firing it, I could not feel the trigger reset. I guess no matter what gun you get, you just gotta shoot the thing to get to know it.

As for Ergo's... I would rank the SW MP45 first in MY hand, then the XD followed by the Glock 21... and I am a Glock FAN!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Bullybreed
USANG Veteran

Post by Bullybreed »

Has anyone ever fired the Norinco 1911A1? A shop near me is selling this for $595 and the former owner said it was great... it looks really comfortable from a handling aspect...
May98-Feb01, 1164TC, 79th Troop Command, MA ARNG

"The Peace Symbol is the Footprint of the American Chicken"

Return to “Weapons of War”