S&W M&P Series...

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Bullybreed
USANG Veteran

S&W M&P Series...

Post by Bullybreed »

Has anyone picked one of these puppies up yet? I am picking up a .40 on tuesday and going straight to the range for some "alone time" with it. Just looking for opinions...is it really "Glocks only true competitor now?"...thats what I was told at least. I cant imagine another sidearm that will be as easy to maintain and fire as a Glock...I love 'em.
May98-Feb01, 1164TC, 79th Troop Command, MA ARNG

"The Peace Symbol is the Footprint of the American Chicken"
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I have the S&W MP-15T (M4) and I held the M&P 45 the other day. I have been looking at the big "plastic" .45 ACP's recently. I shot the Springfield XD-45 and... well, great gun, just really did not care for the way the trigger breaks. Other than that, great gun.

The M&P series gets great reviews... but I have not actually fired one. I do like the ergonomics of the gun, and I look forward to firing the 45 version.

If you like the gun, the way it feels in your hand, and how it points, you will be able to learn to shoot it well.

I am gonna buy my first 1911 for a graduation present to myself... but, I really like the "plastic" guns for everyday carry and hard use. I have been a Glock guy for a very long time, but these new ones have my attention.

Another gun I want to take a close look at is the Taurus OSS 24/7 in .45 ACP. It too, gets good "reviews" but I have not seen one in person.

My latest pistol is a used, but GREAT condition Glock 36. I have put over 1200 rounds through it in the past month, and I have fallen in love with that little gun. I just got a nice Milt Sparks holster for it, and a spare mag pouch. It has assumed the role as my CCW piece.

Good luck with your new toy. Oh, as always... POST PICTURES!!!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: S&W M&P Series...

Post by hobbit »

Bullybreed wrote:I cant imagine another sidearm that will be as easy to maintain and fire as a Glock...I love 'em.
Have you ever owned a Taurus?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Bullybreed
USANG Veteran

Post by Bullybreed »

I have only owned Beretta/Glock pistols...I have never even fired a Taurus. Would you reccomend giving them a try? Unfortunetly I am stuck under the absolutely rediculous gun laws of Massachusetts, so my pickens can be limited (Otherwise I would have bought that M&P M4). I am a big fan of the Glock and my 17 is my current everday carry. The M&P 9 that I held felt great in my hand and comes with a couple of different grip backs to make adjustment easier. Like you said GSXRanger, I too love the "plastic" guns and am hoping my new purchase will be a favorite. What would you recommend for a "plasitc" .45? I have been to 2 dealers in my area and both only had the M&P in 9mm or .40., which is why I opted for the .40.

GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

hobbit wrote:
Bullybreed wrote:I cant imagine another sidearm that will be as easy to maintain and fire as a Glock...I love 'em.
The very first pistol I bought, after I turned 21 was a Taurus PT-99. I still have that gun. I have replaced the guide rod and spring, as well as mag springs with Wolf stuff. The gun still shoots more accurately than me, but I don't use it that much. All in all, maybe 5K or so rounds through it. When I get back to Florida, I am gonna send it in to be refurbished. It's the only Taurus I have owned, and always goes BANG when I pull the trigger.

I would love to try the Taurus OSS series, or their new PT-1911... :wink:
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

The first handgun I bought was a Springfield Milspec 1911 that I gave to my father later on. For some reason I can go plastic, alluminum, German, Austiran...whatever but I always come back to the old slab side .45 if I have a choice.

This is prolly casue' I can work on it myself and know it inside out.

The M&P series seems promising from handling them, but then so did all of the others before coming back to the 1911, series 70 of course.
Bullybreed
USANG Veteran

Post by Bullybreed »

I took andvantage of that when I purchased my M&P .40. I will be picking it up tuesday.

hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

GSXRanger wrote:The very first pistol I bought, after I turned 21 was a Taurus PT-99.
I own a pair. The machining is looser than some people care for, but then Taurus started out as the handgun supplier for the Brazilian Army, thus dependability in extreme conditions was a higher consideration than aesthetics. I consider it the AK-47 of handguns. Toss it in a mud puddle for a month, then pick it up and fire off a magazine without jamming. When you get right down to it, that's the most important consideration of any gun: that it fires when you pull the trigger. Few guns are as dependable on that score as Taurus.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

I have a S&W SW40VE and I wouldn't recomend that piece of shit to anyone. The trigger was about 15lbs when I got it, so after some modifications I got it down to about 19 which still sucks, the ramp is too steep, so it will only chamber ball ammo consistantly, hollow points jam up about half the time. I believe that it is the same weapon that caused Glock to file a lawsuit, due to the fact that it looks idintixcal to theirs.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
toad
Ranger

Post by toad »

GSXRanger wrote:
hobbit wrote:

I would love to try the Taurus OSS series, or their new PT-1911... :wink:
I just bought a PT-1911 a month ago, and have put 600 rounds throught it with no problems. It's my first 1911 and for the price I am very happy!!
Cco 3/75th 2nd plt wpns sqd 87-89
RS 8-88
DixieRat
Ranger

Post by DixieRat »

hobbit wrote:
I have a Tuarus PT 24/7 in .45. GREAT shooter, easy to maintain. Fits my mit really well. 13+1 is pretty nice, too.
B/1/319th PFA, 82nd Abn Div 6/72-2/75
C/2/75 3/75-4/76
1/84th FA, 9th ID 5/76-8/77
TUSLOG Det 67 9/77-10/78

Tabless Bitch
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

DixieRat wrote:
hobbit wrote:
I have a Tuarus PT 24/7 in .45. GREAT shooter, easy to maintain. Fits my mit really well. 13+1 is pretty nice, too.
I know this thread is about the M&P, but I really wanna get my mits on a 24/7 in .45 ACP

Can't find one at all out here in Kalifornia. They won't let the PT-1911 into the state either...
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “Weapons of War”