Chinese Bandits?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

This guy is full of crap. Recondo was a school in Da Nang, not a recon unit. Also, Randy White has amassed the most comprehensive roster in existence of men who served with 101st LRRP/Ranger units. The link is here:

http://www.lcompanyranger.com/orderly%2 ... roster.htm

There is no “Jerry Connersâ€
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I was reading this:
excerpt of Jconners:
In my patrol cap I carried a flexible 12-inch straight edge
fabricated from a 2-inch wide strip of thin sheet metal that had
issued luminescent taped fixed to one side. The tape was the same
material that was used for the markers sewn on the back of our patrol
caps.
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/index.php? ... 29#1316250
This is a load of hogwash. I can see someone doing this to their cap for stateside runs along a highway but give me a break, in RVN you never wanted to be seen (not even accidently) especially by an enemy who could possibly see your hat reflecting (perhaps the moon/flashlight shinning on your reflelctive tape) back to him I am sure would cause him (the NVA) to investigate.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

The one that got me the most was his 19km move in the night......it was all we could do to move 1km in the daylight and still be stealthy enough to be unobserved. I can just imagine a bunch of idiots trying to move that far in the jungle, in the dark!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Slowpoke wrote:The one that got me the most was his 19km move in the night......it was all we could do to move 1km in the daylight and still be stealthy enough to be unobserved. I can just imagine a bunch of idiots trying to move that far in the jungle, in the dark!
Ditto. We pulled 5 day missions where we were only expected to recon 2 or 3 clicks total.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Jason113
US Army Veteran

Post by Jason113 »

11-M,B co. 3/15 Inf.
24th I.D. 90-91
Formerly the_machine
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

hobbit wrote:
Slowpoke wrote:The one that got me the most was his 19km move in the night......it was all we could do to move 1km in the daylight and still be stealthy enough to be unobserved. I can just imagine a bunch of idiots trying to move that far in the jungle, in the dark!
Ditto. We pulled 5 day missions where we were only expected to recon 2 or 3 clicks total.
Aha. Hobbit, then I take the stories of LRP/LRRPs being out in the bush for 2-3 weeks cutoff from support, eating grubs and eating dex to stay awake the whole time out are just a "JConner"?
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Draco »

Nice link and posts OG....and I read all 3 pages. You seasoned guys still have the knack!!
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

bulldogg wrote:
hobbit wrote:
Aha. Hobbit, then I take the stories of LRP/LRRPs being out in the bush for 2-3 weeks cutoff from support, eating grubs and eating dex to stay awake the whole time out are just a "JConner"?
The longest Mission I was ever on was 7 days, it started out as a 4 day Mission and we got extended because we weren't making any contact. I would SERIOUSLY DOUBT anyone who said they were on a 3 week Mission.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

bulldogg wrote:Aha. Hobbit, then I take the stories of LRP/LRRPs being out in the bush for 2-3 weeks cutoff from support, eating grubs and eating dex to stay awake the whole time out are just a "JConner"?
I don't know about the "eating grubs and dex". My team leader would have shot anyone bringing drugs to the field. Generally there were three circumstances when teams got cut off from support and had to extend their missions beyond the normal five days.

The first was weather. Monsoon storms could ground all but the most dedicated pilots. If your team got socked in somewhere out in the mountains, you stayed there till weather permitted an extraction. The next most common circumstance was when your team was overwhelmed by a large enemy force and had to run. Packs were dropped and you ran like hell to a predesignated extraction LZ or for the closest high ground. Sometimes the only commo you had was with CIA U2's (Bad Cats) over a small black transceiver. The U2 could get a fix on your location and transfer that information back to the TOC.

The third and most common reason teams remained in the bush for stays beyond normal SOP was radio relay missions. Radio relay teams stayed out in the bush as long as any single Ranger team on an operational mission was still out there. Radio relay missions were dangerous. They were stationary teams who generally weren't fooling the dinks about their location, and sometimes they stayed out 10-14 days or more.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

Roger that Slowpoke. I'd heard a tall tale of that variety at a Firebase Indy gathering a decade or so back.
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
Lost_Jock
Tadpole

Post by Lost_Jock »

Fans of Ranger Conners may enjoy this thread: http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/vie ... art=0.html
And when I had opened the fourth beer, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and her that sat on him was the wife, and Hell followed with her......
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Lost_Jock wrote:Fans of Ranger Conners may enjoy this thread: http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/vie ... art=0.html
Dayum..that was some funny shit right there.
If watching numerous Vietnam films had taught me anything, apart from the value of headbands, it was that rolling a massive joint was the perfect preparation for a dangerous mission. So I did.
:D :D
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jason113 wrote:Here's his profile on Mil.com

http://profile.military.com/member/view ... Id=4411037

Interesting. He displays the unofficial Air Assault badge that was worn by the 11th Air Assault Division at Fort Benning. The unit was reflagged as the 1st Cav Div prior to deployment to Viet-Nam. He also displays the 101st RECONDO patch; this was a school conducted at Fort Campbell. Interestingly, the school was developed by then MAJ Lew Millett, a MH recipient and later one of the initial American advisors to the ARVN Rangers (Biet Dong Quan). COL Millett is a member of the Ranger Hall of Fame.

https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/Hall_o ... illett.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Jim wrote:
Jason113 wrote:Here's his profile on Mil.com

http://profile.military.com/member/view ... Id=4411037

Interesting. He displays the unofficial Air Assault badge that was worn by the 11th Air Assault Division at Fort Benning. The unit was reflagged as the 1st Cav Div prior to deployment to Viet-Nam. He also displays the 101st RECONDO patch; this was a school conducted at Fort Campbell. Interestingly, the school was developed by then MAJ Lew Millett, a MH recipient and later one of the initial American advisors to the ARVN Rangers (Biet Dong Quan). COL Millett is a member of the Ranger Hall of Fame.

https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/Hall_o ... illett.htm
Interesting stuff. I never knew the history of Recondo school. I thought its genesis was in Da Nang. Didn't know it existed before the war. The colonel sounds like quite a guy. Probably bled OD green.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Paladin
BANNED

Post by Paladin »

I have followed Jerry Conners Exploits for a long time and they are like reading a James Bond movie based in Vietnam.
The only thing that he didn't plagerize was his name and that is suspect in some places!
He is like a blind man following the smell of a fart, cant help but butt his head into someones ass to see where it originated from. An original turd sniffer from way back!

Return to “The Mosh Pit”