LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
Eyes

Post by Eyes »

Last edited by Eyes on October 12th, 2007, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyes

Post by Eyes »

Last edited by Eyes on October 12th, 2007, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madslashers1-2
Ranger

Post by madslashers1-2 »

Maybe for you in your outfit, CA LRS will never do LRS missions other than during drill.
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

I did a quick search on the internet and didnt see anything for AZ, so is there a LRS unit near AZ
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Eyes

Post by Eyes »

Last edited by Eyes on October 12th, 2007, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I was in G/143rd before and during DS/DS. before I got there, they worked for V Corps. they got good money, deployments/training (ILRPS, cross train w/ European units, tier 1 at that, etc.) when I showed up, we worked for III Corps. only thing we got was what the State payed for.

DS rolls up and everything at Hood or within III Corps goes over for the show. what did we do? watched it on TV...

maybe it's that tankers didn't know how to use us or we had the guard stygma, and we were told we didn't go because we didn't have a good liaison with them to sell ourselves, but I don't kow how much use any LRS got in DS...

I still don't see LRS getting put out there in a position to be lost by any commanders.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
TxBowhunter
Tadpole

Post by TxBowhunter »

You might take a look at the dismounted recon troops in the RSTA squadrons if you are looking for deployments doing that kind of recon.

MTOE includes two platoons with 3 recon sections in each, a sniper element, and mortars. All 11B slots except for the morters and fisters.

I think these units will be a lot more deployable, now if we can get an armor officer to understand that dismounted recon has value on the modern battle field things would be great.
BCT, OCS, IBOLC '04-'06
1/112th CAV (RSTA) '06-

"Many may serve, few will lead"
Mother_Benning
Ranger

Post by Mother_Benning »

Eyes-

Just had an in depth converstation with RSLC guys, to include the man responsible for re-writing 7-93 while I was down at JM School. Big Army did not buy off on the 0-4 commander and CSM Det. SGT idea. otherwise your article is pretty accurate. We have been authorized to go to 300% in anticipation of the expansion under BfSB.

I have a copy of the approved MTOE in its current state as of a couple months ago. Shoot me a PM.
Eyes

Post by Eyes »

Last edited by Eyes on October 12th, 2007, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rabidus1
Embryo

Post by Rabidus1 »

Eyes,

I will be enlisting into the MDNG LRSD. Can you give me some insight on what my drill weekends may consist of being in an LRSD? How often do we make jumps, etc...Also, how far down the road can I expect to be offered pre-Ranger and all the other schools, assuming I perform well as an individual and team player... Im off to OSUT, and BAC in the next 2-3 weeks, and will be going in as an E-3/PFC...any info. much appreciated.
Moving on to bigger and better things...
Goals in sight, ready to execute!...
Eyes

Post by Eyes »

Last edited by Eyes on October 12th, 2007, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom
Ranger

Post by Phantom »

Here's my take on this whole BfSB and LRS thing and it's probably going to be the only thing that I say about it.
I've been at F CO for over 3 years now and have served at every position from SO to TL. Did we do LRS missions in Iraq? Yes, absolutely and at the strategic level. I was all over that goddamn country. That's all we did. Will the Guard be doing the same missions? Not unless they have some very good teams. I was in a Guard LRSD for 6 months before I came AD and from what I saw they need a whole lot of training before they begin to execute real world missions.
Will the new MTOE and the new BfSB structure mean the same type of missions and even missions going after Tier 1 HVT's? Absolutely not and I will tell you why it will never be. It's because LRS is stuck in the Regular Army. That's why LRS will never be the way that people envision it to be. I don't care how many cool guy schools you have on your ERB, or how many HALO or water train-ups you conduct. Three different times HALO insertions were the primary and really the only means of insertion on a few missions during deployment and as the OPORDER made its way up to Corps it was shot down quicker than you could imagine. Why? Because no Corps or Division commander is going to trust SPC Snuffy to insert via MFF when you have units like CAG or RRD who could do the exact same thing without a hiccup. Same with Scout Swimmer or SCUBA insertions. I experienced all the excitement about the new MTOE and how LRS is going to be used in the future and I was as just as convinced then as I am now that it's not going to happen.

Furthermore FM 7-93 is shit. I've never used it and I don't expect the newer one to be any better than the piece of garbage in print today. There is such a huge disconnect between the Army and LRS today that that is the primary reason why no one even knows what the hell LRS does. RSLC's POI isn't even current with what we do today which is why we hardly send anyone there anymore. The only way LRS will be used to its full capabilities is if it falls under SOCOM and that's never going to happen. It's completely capable of those missions but when all you have is a Captain in a room full of full birds you're never going to sell yourself. I don't care how good you are. F/51st is a goddamn outstanding unit but it's operating against the constraints of the Regular Army with both hands tied behind its back. LRS would have a lot more freedom and pull if it were put back under G-2 at the Corps level, instead of under the microscope in an MI Brigade. Its been the same song and dance for as long as I've been there, which explains the mass exodus of NCO's out of F CO, including myself.

I wish I could say I see some hope for LRS in the future but I expect things to remain as stagnant as they've been. Because if Corps LRS ain't doing it, then no other LRSU will be doing it either.

Just my 2 cents.
LRS Guy
Ranger

Post by LRS Guy »

Phantom is spot on...unfortunately.
RS 1-92
1-504 PIR 89-90
3-504 PIR 90-92
H. Co 121 INF (LRSC) 97-00
134th INF (LRSD)01-02
Back to living the LRS Life in the 143rd LRSD!

Confirmed "Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard"
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Phantom wrote:Here's my take on this whole BfSB and LRS thing and it's probably going to be the only thing that I say about it.
I've been at F CO for over 3 years now and have served at every position from SO to TL. Did we do LRS missions in Iraq? Yes, absolutely and at the strategic level. I was all over that goddamn country. That's all we did. Will the Guard be doing the same missions? Not unless they have some very good teams. I was in a Guard LRSD for 6 months before I came AD and from what I saw they need a whole lot of training before they begin to execute real world missions.
Will the new MTOE and the new BfSB structure mean the same type of missions and even missions going after Tier 1 HVT's? Absolutely not and I will tell you why it will never be. It's because LRS is stuck in the Regular Army. That's why LRS will never be the way that people envision it to be. I don't care how many cool guy schools you have on your ERB, or how many HALO or water train-ups you conduct. Three different times HALO insertions were the primary and really the only means of insertion on a few missions during deployment and as the OPORDER made its way up to Corps it was shot down quicker than you could imagine. Why? Because no Corps or Division commander is going to trust SPC Snuffy to insert via MFF when you have units like CAG or RRD who could do the exact same thing without a hiccup. Same with Scout Swimmer or SCUBA insertions. I experienced all the excitement about the new MTOE and how LRS is going to be used in the future and I was as just as convinced then as I am now that it's not going to happen.

Furthermore FM 7-93 is shit. I've never used it and I don't expect the newer one to be any better than the piece of garbage in print today. There is such a huge disconnect between the Army and LRS today that that is the primary reason why no one even knows what the hell LRS does. RSLC's POI isn't even current with what we do today which is why we hardly send anyone there anymore. The only way LRS will be used to its full capabilities is if it falls under SOCOM and that's never going to happen. It's completely capable of those missions but when all you have is a Captain in a room full of full birds you're never going to sell yourself. I don't care how good you are. F/51st is a goddamn outstanding unit but it's operating against the constraints of the Regular Army with both hands tied behind its back. LRS would have a lot more freedom and pull if it were put back under G-2 at the Corps level, instead of under the microscope in an MI Brigade. Its been the same song and dance for as long as I've been there, which explains the mass exodus of NCO's out of F CO, including myself.

I wish I could say I see some hope for LRS in the future but I expect things to remain as stagnant as they've been. Because if Corps LRS ain't doing it, then no other LRSU will be doing it either.

Just my 2 cents.
Unfortunately for LRS, excellent points.
EAT III
Ranger

Post by EAT III »

Well I don't agree, their are 2 mtoes out right now. the only thing that I know for sure is we the 151 ( but going back to Cav) will be stood up 3rd out of the 5, and their are now plans for 2 more AD at or before 2010.

and your BFSB at Bragg will only have us by 2 Days. If they don't want a Guard Unit doing the Do, why would we be stood up before an AD Unit?
RLTW!
A/1/75 86-88
RS 10-86
612th (AD)(Heavy Drop) 83-86
Lrsd 25th ID 88-90
151Inf Det (LRS)(ABN) current

Return to “Reconnaissance”