Air Force Academy or Annapolis ???

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Annapolis.
WHY?
Tomcat's are more fun to fly than f-15's. Just kidding.

But on a serious note, Zonk, I had an option to go to Annapolis because of my Grandfather, that I never knew about (ouch). It would have sent my life in a completely different direction...I was AFROTC in HS and earned a shot at an AEOS Eng Scholarship at the AFA. Turned it down like a dumb ass. At the end of the day, If he can get into Annapolis...that would be my choice...if it were me...but either is a great accomplishment and you should be very proud of your boy...either way.
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Ok.

Let's break it down:

If he can't swim, Colorodo Springs.

If he can't fly, Annapolis.

If he can't spell, West Point.

Pretty simple.

:lol: :lol:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

centermass wrote:Ok.

Let's break it down:

If he can't swim, Colorodo Springs.

If he can't fly, Annapolis.

If he can't spell, West Point.

Pretty simple.

:lol: :lol:
Agree with the analysis. However, any of these schools gives a first rate education. Please don't overlook the Coast Guard or Merchant Marine Acadamies as alternatives. A graduate of any Service Acadamies may be commissioned into any branch of the service. I had the good fortune to work for LTG (Ret) Dan Schroeder, an Army Engineer who graduated from Annapolis (I worked for him when he was an LTC).

http://navysports.cstv.com/sports/m-lac ... -body.html

Check the website for Navy Sports. Bring him to Annapolis; you can hang out with the Beltway Rangers and drink Scotch
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rj50
US Army Veteran

Post by rj50 »

I grew up on the Air Force Academy, my Mother worked at their prep school, then at the Academy.

Cadets are treated pretty well in the surrounding area of Colorado Springs.

This is just my opinion, and I may get flamed. The Air Force has a VERY good quality of life (both Officer and enlisted), and they don't put up with alot of the stupid things that Army troops do. To this day, I still think flying fast movers would be the coolest job in the world.

There's an article floating around somewhere, that compares the life of a Naval Pilot to an Air Force Pilot. I can't seem to find it though...

If your son wants to be in the Special Operations community, PJs now have Officers who run around with them (called CRO's or something like that).

Edited to add: Congratulations...getting even near an appointment is quite an accomplishment!
Last edited by rj50 on March 20th, 2007, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11B, 25th ID (2/27 inf Aco & HHC "Scouts") 99-02. Current LEO.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

If it were me between the two I would pick Annapolis. He can fly in the Navy or Marines. The fact that most of todays commerce is delivered by ship makes the job the Navy has BIG. He would get awesome experience.

My first 3 years in the U.S. back in 67/68/69 were next to West Point I will alwats have a special place in my heart for the Point. I was 8/9/10 years old then...
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Although I had a class date for pilot training in the Air Force while I was in college, I would probably choose Navy aviation now. Seems like a little more variety of options. Having done an arrested landing and cat shot on the Theodore Roosevelt, that is quite a rush!

I would agree, the Air Force has a pretty good life style however.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

Go Navy.. :shock: .LOL Seems to be the better school.

JP
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
rj50
US Army Veteran

Post by rj50 »

XCrunner wrote: Air Force Academie's summer program was centered around academic classes, not much of a military feel to it. Hope this helps and congratulations you and your son!
The Air Force's version of what's "Military" is way different than the other branches. In alot of cases, enlisted do call their superiors by their first name, hang out with them etc...It's just....different.
11B, 25th ID (2/27 inf Aco & HHC "Scouts") 99-02. Current LEO.
last.tango
Sister

Post by last.tango »

Ranger Zonk 1/75, I'd sent your question to my brother, and the following is his reply. **********************************************************

My firm belief, is that the prospective military officer must choose what is best for them. That is big talk that really means … what interests them, excites them, and has the chance of remaining interesting when the assignments get bleak, and the days away from home accumulate.

If he wants to fly, he should do two things (1) decide what general type of airplane he wants to fly, and why … helicopters, fighters, transports, and (2) what he wants to do with his life when is isn’t flying … doesn’t complete flight school, exits the military after initial commitment, etc.

In order of sheer numbers:
Helos on Land = Army (by a big margin), Marines, Air Force
Helos on Water = Navy, Coast Guard
Fighters = Air Force, Navy, Marines
Transports = Air Force (by a big margin), Navy, Marines (by a big margin)

Too many folks get into the military wanting to do one thing, and then when that doesn’t pan out, they are very disgruntled. Also, too many folks “want to be a Marineâ€
Last edited by last.tango on April 4th, 2007, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

Just a reminder he can attend either and still opt for an Army Commission.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
Myth
US Army Veteran

re

Post by Myth »

I completely agree with Ranger Jim and Ranger Centermass, the Coast Guard that has an excellent program and less well known until recently.

I have become quite the expert in technical and specific writing for my Psychological Internship and Grad School writing requirements; so if you and he need professional writing help give me a shout! I would love to help with a few drafts or contribute more.

It’s a proud accomplishment reflecting great parents and a great kid!

Jim wrote:
centermass wrote:Ok.

Agree with the analysis. However, any of these schools gives a first rate education. Please don't overlook the Coast Guard or Merchant Marine Acadamies as alternatives. A graduate of any Service Acadamies may be commissioned into any branch of the service. I had the good fortune to work for LTG (Ret) Dan Schroeder, an Army Engineer who graduated from Annapolis (I worked for him when he was an LTC).

http://navysports.cstv.com/sports/m-lac ... -body.html

Check the website for Navy Sports. Bring him to Annapolis; you can hang out with the Beltway Rangers and drink Scotch

Return to “The Mosh Pit”