Who here has ever been in a multi-car pile-up?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Who here has ever been in a multi-car pile-up?

Post by Steadfast »

Back in '79 I was in the middle of a ten car pileup. That day I again thanked GRITS for protecting me as I came out unscathed hiding behind a Buick I easily drove around to use for cover while in my VW wagon.

This is the main story:

50-car pileup in Pa. snowstorm kills one

Interstate 90 shut for hours after accident; several people slightly injured

AP Associate Press

Updated: 11:05 a.m. ET Jan 26, 2007

ERIE, Pa. - A chain-reaction crash on a snowy interstate highway involving about 50 vehicles, including an ambulance carrying patients, killed one person Thursday, officials said.

A 10-mile stretch of Interstate 90 was closed for hours in both directions after the early afternoon accident. Several people were slightly injured, authorities said.

Among the vehicles involved were several tractor-trailers and tanker trucks. The trucks were not damaged, said Maria Finn, a spokeswoman for the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency.

Story

Post your story too.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I was at the front end of a 5-car jam last summer. I'd only had my truck for two weeks. We waited for 2 1/2 hrs on the side of the highway, while the HP did his accident report.....sucked.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Speedracer

Post by Speedracer »

On a slick dirt track going 70+ into turn 2 and a dude decided to go sideways... :shock: ..Not a good thing .. :( ..It took about a hour and a half to un hook all the cars.....started with 24 cars, two laps into it BAM..now we are down to 9....Oh well :roll:

:? Sorry but were you talking about being in a pile up or about a pile up on the highways...
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

When I was in Germany in the mid-70s, it was not unusual to hear of a 75 - 100 car pile-up on the autobahn near Munich.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I-81 has a spot in TN that's had multiple 75 car pile ups. jackasses maintaining speed in 0 vis fog, til they hit the pile...

there is a river valley with a plant of some kind upwind the grows the thickest fog I've ever seen, and the jackasses still do 70, with maybe 5-10' of visability...
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

KW Driver wrote:I-81 has a spot in TN that's had multiple 75 car pile ups. jackasses maintaining speed in 0 vis fog, til they hit the pile...

there is a river valley with a plant of some kind upwind the grows the thickest fog I've ever seen, and the jackasses still do 70, with maybe 5-10' of visability...
That's can be funny KW Driver. I remember reading in the Sunday Daily News in the mid-80's on a very foggy day, two Italian drivers each with their heads out the drivers window knocked heads going in the opposite direction trying to see the road ahead. :lol:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “The Mosh Pit”