Sidearm

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Post by Ranger »

Understood. Rules and Regs can be confusing. But before posting a second time on this board, it is suggested you get familiar with OUR rules and regs. Read and follow this FAQ, assuming you are NOT a veteran:

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1837
SpoogeOperator

sidearm

Post by SpoogeOperator »

in respose to the sidearm issue, it's been awhile since i served, but only then officers carried sidearms, GOD only know's why???, as if they even knew what they were doing with them. At that time it was the Colt 1911, then in some bastards infinite wisdom, they decided to give Beretta the contract for the 92fs or Military designated M9. It was like shooting a bee-bee gun after uv just shot a 30/30.

Now SOCOM has issued to some of the spec-ops arsenal the H&K Mark 23 .45 caliber or what is called the MOD0 kit. It comes with the .45 caliber and the Knights armament suppressor, and the Insight technologies Laser/light aiming module. To this day, I dont think any Ranger's are carrying this fine sidearm, only the SEALS, some DELTA Operators and Special Boat units with NAVAL DEVGROUP. If im wrong and the Ranger's are carrying the Mark 23, then correct me if im wrong.
Looon
Ranger

Re: sidearm

Post by Looon »

specoperator wrote:in respose to the sidearm issue, it's been awhile since i served, but only then officers carried sidearms, GOD only know's why???, as if they even knew what they were doing with them. At that time it was the Colt 1911, then in some bastards infinite wisdom, they decided to give Beretta the contract for the 92fs or Military designated M9. It was like shooting a bee-bee gun after uv just shot a 30/30.

Now SOCOM has issued to some of the spec-ops arsenal the H&K Mark 23 .45 caliber or what is called the MOD0 kit. It comes with the .45 caliber and the Knights armament suppressor, and the Insight technologies Laser/light aiming module. To this day, I dont think any Ranger's are carrying this fine sidearm, only the SEALS, some DELTA Operators and Special Boat units with NAVAL DEVGROUP. If im wrong and the Ranger's are carrying the Mark 23, then correct me if im wrong.
specoperator, could you please post an intro for us in the appropriate forum? You need to read the FAQ concerning the rules of the site.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
BRanger91
Ranger

Re: sidearm

Post by BRanger91 »

specoperator wrote:in respose to the sidearm issue, it's been awhile since i served, but only then officers carried sidearms, GOD only know's why???, as if they even knew what they were doing with them. At that time it was the Colt 1911, then in some bastards infinite wisdom, they decided to give Beretta the contract for the 92fs or Military designated M9. It was like shooting a bee-bee gun after uv just shot a 30/30.

Let me say your not wrong as much as misinformed.
The biggest reason for the push to the 9mm is very simple..try finding .45 in Iraq. Its an American round that is not highly used all over the world. 9mm however is very common and found all over the world. Even though I don't favor this round it is still a useful one. Remember, handguns are not offensive wepons, they are defensive. As far as the SOCOM goes. It is not widely used. I have many friends that won't use it because it's too damn big. It is the same size as a .50 Eagle which makes it a friggin tank. Most stick to the Beretta since the parts are more readily available world wide since it is a common use and copied weapon.

Scott as far as being able to carry your own pistol goes, no it is against regulation. There are ways around this but it is mainly an accountability/liability issue. I'm not saying it is not done but it sure is frowned upon and your ass can end up in some hot water if you are caught. As far as officers only carrying a sidearm thats a bunch of crap. I have had it out with a few about this issue when they preech 'train as you fight' bullshit. Everyone in a line unit is issued a Longbow (rifle). Just some are too fucking busy with their map boards or just plain lazy and think of it as an annoyance.

Hope this helps
RLTW
B
C co 3/75 91-93 'The Rock'
OIF 04-05
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

I have to agree, BRanger. You bring up outstanding points about the availability of ammo with respect to its type. I can't imagine a "Specoperator" who would not have been trained in the finer points of indigenous weapons. :? Sounds more like a leg who has been reading too many tactical gun magazines. What a geek; it's funny that he doesn't have any credentials. :roll:
As a side note, I carried an M9 almost the entire time I was in BN no matter what my primary weapon was.

Return to “Personal Gear”