New wannabee technique

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

New wannabee technique

Post by Jim »

Firefighter paid while 'away' in Iraq
(http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1951 ... 03.article)

January 3, 2007

BY ISAAC WOLF Daily Southtown
Last Friday, fellow firefighters praised Lt. Lawrence T. Masa as a warrior, describing his fortitude in Iraq and his bravery for serving multiple tours of duty in the war-torn region. On Tuesday, Orland Park police arrested Masa at fire district headquarters.

For almost two years Masa received his salary while his co-workers and employer, the Orland Fire Protection District, thought he was in the military fighting the war on terror.

'It was a big surprise'
Police accuse Masa, 42, of Morris, of stealing more than $100,000. The state's attorney's office expects to charge him today, Orland Park police spokesman Chuck Doll said.
"The suspect said he had been called up to service when, in fact, he had not," Doll said. "He was paid by the fire department while he was away."

Masa is not now in the military but has been in the past, said Doll. Authorities would not specify where they believe Masa spent the nearly two years he claimed to have been deployed with the military.

Co-workers had praised his courage and sacrifice at a chili luncheon last Friday.

"It was a big surprise," one firefighter said of the charges.

Sun-Times News Group
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

I'm confused, how did he get paid if he was "deployed" :?:
pzpos360

Post by pzpos360 »

Some employers will still pay their employees who are mobilized for deployment. Post 9/11 it was pretty common, now not so much. Home Depot, AT&T and Ohio State University were some employers that come to mind that paid while deployed during our first deployment.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

MrsDocMac wrote:I'm confused, how did he get paid if he was "deployed" :?:
Direct Deposit, Ever hear of that MrsDocMac? :shock:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

Steadfast wrote:
MrsDocMac wrote:I'm confused, how did he get paid if he was "deployed" :?:
Direct Deposit, Ever hear of that MrsDocMac? :shock:
I meant more along the lines of "why the fuck were they payin him?" Ranger Steadfast..... :P

smartass..... :lol:
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

the previous Rangers gave you reasons that were all bona-fide MrsDocMac. I just sorta gave the technical (payment) version. 8)

I myself first started using Direct Deposit in 1982. It sure beat the hell out of waiting on line in a bank just to cash my check. Hmmm, that's fucken more than two dozens years I been using Direct Deposit. You know that on average the United States Postal Service loses an average of 5% of checks per year. And in the 25 years I have been using Direct Deposit MrsDocMac, I have beat the odds having never been the reciepent of a lost check as I should have within the last seven years had I still been receiving my check at an address. :lol: :lol: :lol:

NOTE: Move over Jerry of Subway fame, I can be a poster child/old man of Direct Deposit.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

So, just what is the penalty for stealing 100k from a fire department?

Death?
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

An update on the wannabe:

Veterans: Alleged scam 'sad situation'
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/news/1971 ... S2.article

January 4, 2007

By Jim Hook Staff writer

Adam probably told Eve that he planted the Garden of Eden.

"Since the beginning of time, men have lied to make themselves look macho," said Rick DeWolf, a disabled Vietnam War Army veteran and retired history teacher at Argo Community High School in Summit. "Guys lie, and guys brag.

"And they do it to make themselves look like heroes, usually for women. That's how it's always been."

Police on Wednesday were still trying to figure out why a 42-year-old Morris man allegedly lied about being a soldier in Iraq and bilked the Orland Fire Protection District -- where he served as a lieutenant -- of nearly $200,000 in salary and benefits.

Lawrence Masa was charged with felony theft and official misconduct, officials said. If convicted, Masa could face up to 15 years in prison.

DeWolf said Masa isn't the first, nor will he be the last, person to misrepresent his or her military record.

Early Western movie star "Tom Mix lied and said he was in the Spanish-American War," DeWolf said.

"A Major League Baseball manager in the 1990s got fired for misrepresenting his military service.

"I even had a colleague at Argo High School who lied about his service in Vietnam.

He said he can tell within minutes when guys lie about their military service.

"I ask them about the little things, like the daily malaria pills we took," DeWolf said. "And the thing about those who lie about their service, they are always the ones who were the Army Rangers or Navy SEALs.

"No one ever was a cook," he said. "I guess the other jobs make for better stories."

DeWolf, who received the Purple Heart among his four combat medals, said he has seen men wearing uniforms with chests full of medals and ribbons. The uniform and medals were bought at a military supply store.

He says the government should enact tougher penalties for those who pretend to be soldiers.

"Lying about being in the military is the worst thing you can do," DeWolf said. "Our cemeteries are filled with men and women who served their country with dignity and honor."

Cathy Clarke, of Tinley Park, whose son Kevin was killed in combat in Iraq nearly two years ago, called what Masa did "pretty low."

"That's a sad situation what he did," Clarke said. "I'd say he has some self-esteem issues.

"I just hope that stories like this don't discourage people from supporting our troops. They need our support."

Frank Mulcahy, a Vietnam-era Marine veteran, said Masa deserves to spend some time in prison.

"That would certainly teach him a lesson," said Mulcahy, of Tinley Park. "Then, when he gets out of prison, let him go to Iraq and fight alongside the real soldiers in the war on terror."

Army veteran Al Lynch, of Gurnee, who received the Medal of Honor -- the military's highest honor -- said "there isn't a jail bad enough for someone like that."

"There definitely should be some demonstrative punishment for what he did," said Lynch, one of about 150 Medal of Honor recipients still living. Most Medal of Honor recipients are honored posthumously.

Lynch served in Vietnam.

"Some people start embellishing military careers because they hang out with guys who really did serve, and they get caught up in the moment," he said. "Others do it maliciously.

"They do it to scam others financially. Either way, it's wrong and should be punished."
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

EvilCouch wrote:So, just what is the penalty for stealing 100k from a fire department?

Death?
Burned at the stake.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams

Return to “The Mosh Pit”