Continued college or earlier enlistment?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
JarHedSolja
Tadpole

Post by JarHedSolja »

Kid, there will NOT be any time to finish your B.S. while you are on active duty.. especially in an infantry unit. How are you going to fit 50-60 quarter hours per year in when you are in the field all the time?

I TRIED on active duty to get college credits done and with all the shit that was going on I barely made it through that one class.
1999-2001 USMC
2003-2006 1-148th INF (M)
2006-2009 585th MP Co
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

My advice would be to finish what you have started.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
SunDevilWrestler
Ranger

Post by SunDevilWrestler »

If your goal is to enlist as an E-3, two years of ROTC will also get you there.

As for finishing your BS while on Active? I can only speak from one side of the spectrum.....if you make it to Battalion, the only thing you have time for is learning and executing your job. If you don't do that, your gone.

Bottom line, college credits are a money/promotion deal when in the Army.

If your top priority is becoming a Ranger......then get your OPT 40 and start preparing yourself now.
Stay Hard, Crush the Weak.

Whatever It Takes
Never Quit. Never Give In. Never Back Down.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

SunDevilWrestler wrote:If your goal is to enlist as an E-3, two years of ROTC will also get you there.

As for finishing your BS while on Active? I can only speak from one side of the spectrum.....if you make it to Battalion, the only thing you have time for is learning and executing your job. If you don't do that, your gone.

Bottom line, college credits are a money/promotion deal when in the Army.

If your top priority is becoming a Ranger......then get your OPT 40 and start preparing yourself now.
This is how it is at ArmyRanger.com. The unvarnished truth from a man who knows!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”