ACOG

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
23LRS
US Army Veteran

ACOG

Post by 23LRS »

I just ordered an ACOG to take with me on my deployment to A-Stan. I got a really good deal from their Military sales rep. Can anyone who has experience with these give me some input as far as their experiences have gone with them?
Riamh Nar dhruid O sbairn lan
(Never Retreat From The Clash of Spears)

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144:1
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Not sure why you would buy something the Army issues?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Post by 23LRS »

I talked to my Plt. Sgt and he said not all of us are getting optics issued, but we can buy or own and take them with. Also I have my own M4 that I can use it on when I get home.

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

my fingers for battle.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

23LRS wrote:I talked to my Plt. Sgt and he said not all of us are getting optics issued, but we can buy or own and take them with. Also I have my own M4 that I can use it on when I get home.
The ACOG is a good sight. When you use magnification it tends to slow down your rate of fire which in some instances is not conducive to offesive operations. I am a fan of the age old red dot type sites. I currently use an EOTECH site and I like it pretty good. The reason I selected an EOTECH is because the culiminator is 1/3 the size of the M68, which reduces target obscuration.

Don't forget about zeroing your ACOG and once it's zeroed ensure you create a borelight target so you can check the zero from time to time just to be safe. Good luck
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Post by 23LRS »

Silverback wrote:
23LRS wrote:I talked to my Plt. Sgt and he said not all of us are getting optics issued, but we can buy or own and take them with. Also I have my own M4 that I can use it on when I get home.
The ACOG is a good sight. When you use magnification it tends to slow down your rate of fire which in some instances is not conducive to offesive operations. I am a fan of the age old red dot type sites. I currently use an EOTECH site and I like it pretty good. The reason I selected an EOTECH is because the culiminator is 1/3 the size of the M68, which reduces target obscuration.

Don't forget about zeroing your ACOG and once it's zeroed ensure you create a borelight target so you can check the zero from time to time just to be safe. Good luck
I had an EOTech for a while and I really didn't care for it. I have a red dot on my personal M-4 and it is fine, but not durable to take with me. I also don't want to have to worry about batteries. Thanks for the input on zeroing, good pointers!

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

my fingers for battle.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Bought one for use when I worked in Iraq. Thought it was pretty damned good and better to have magnification for open spaces.
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Post by 23LRS »

Spartan wrote:Bought one for use when I worked in Iraq. Thought it was pretty damned good and better to have magnification for open spaces.
I definitely like the magnification. That is another reason I bought it. Also, I got the BAC model so I can use it no matter what the light level is.

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

my fingers for battle.
SunDevilWrestler
Ranger

Post by SunDevilWrestler »

Which model did you buy?

I went to a 2-week course for the TA31F, so I have a lot of information pertaining to that particular optic.
Stay Hard, Crush the Weak.

Whatever It Takes
Never Quit. Never Give In. Never Back Down.
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Post by 23LRS »

SunDevilWrestler wrote:Which model did you buy?

I went to a 2-week course for the TA31F, so I have a lot of information pertaining to that particular optic.
I ordered the TA31RCO-A4 CP it is the civilian version of the one they issue. The only difference is the packaging. It comes with a kill flash and a few other goodies. There was a 17 week wait on the TA31.

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

my fingers for battle.
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

I was a big fan of the ACOG. I was in M240B gunner before they started issuing the MGO and used the ACOG instead. While the stadia lines weren't accurate, the optic itself stood up to a lot of abuse and it worked out really well for shooting.

Using it for an M-4 was nice as well.

It took a bit of training to do reflexive fire with it, but after getting over that hurdle it was nice to have a weapon that's damn effective for all ranges.

I actually preferred it over the M-68. Red dots are nice, but I dig nice, well-built scopes.

The stadia lines are pretty sweet for quick and brainless range estimation, too.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Horned Toad
Ranger

Re: ACOG

Post by Horned Toad »

23LRS wrote:I just ordered an ACOG to take with me on my deployment to A-Stan. I got a really good deal from their Military sales rep. Can anyone who has experience with these give me some input as far as their experiences have gone with them?
viewtopic.php?t=22865

third post down read

I still like the early Aimpoints with the 1 moa dot, I might try their new one that has a 2 moa dot, but up till just recently I was not buying anything new with a 4 moa blob in the window
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Re: ACOG

Post by 23LRS »

Horned Toad wrote:
23LRS wrote:I just ordered an ACOG to take with me on my deployment to A-Stan. I got a really good deal from their Military sales rep. Can anyone who has experience with these give me some input as far as their experiences have gone with them?
viewtopic.php?t=22865

third post down read

I still like the early Aimpoints with the 1 moa dot, I might try their new one that has a 2 moa dot, but up till just recently I was not buying anything new with a 4 moa blob in the window
I read through that a couple weeks ago, that really helped me with my choice of an ACOG. ma91c1an hooked me up with the contact info for them. The EOTech I had was one with a large dot as well, that is the biggest reason I disliked it.

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

my fingers for battle.
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grumble and Grunt »

Anyone used the JPoint reflexive sight that mounts on top of the ACOG? I wonder about this system and its versatility...

http://www.jprifles.com/Trijicon.php
RS Class 06-06
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Interesting. I had actually just trained myself to rapidly acquire through the scope.

The reflex site looks kind of interesting, though.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “Weapons of War”