Need some info/help...

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

John, this is NOT a question/answer forum. The answers to the questions you just wrote are already posted. Use the search feature as I told you in your welcome thread. This is YOUR responsibility to find them by reading. Start by reading the site FAQ's please.
Goog
Ranger

Post by Goog »

RTO wrote:John, this is NOT a question/answer forum. The answers to the questions you just wrote are already posted. Use the search feature as I told you in your welcome thread. This is YOUR responsibility to find them by reading. Start by reading the site FAQ's please.
Since you have already been welcome'd

Follow the rules shit dick or go fuck yourself
90-94 A co 3/75 RGR Regt (2plt/HQ/Wpns)
94-97 75th RGR Regt (Pre-RGR)
Graduated Ranger Class 2-92 "Merrills Marauder"
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

who is it you are addressing?
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Mason
Soldier

Post by Mason »

PM sent
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Why is there a burning bag of dog shit on our front porch?
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Mason wrote:PM sent
you still a DEP? :wink:
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Mason
Soldier

Post by Mason »

Ranger KW Driver, no not a DEP anymore, just this guy and his questions are sure making me think like one.. Ha Ha
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Re: Need some info/help...

Post by GoldCoast »

Big John wrote:Ive been trying to join the Marines for a few years now, they wont let me join because I have a GED and not a high school diploma (got my GED when I was 18 and inbetween 11th and 12th grade so I could join the Marines). What happened was, when I was 16 I went into the recruiter with my parents (actually, the recruiter came to my house), and we spoke about joining when I would turn 17 with my parents permission. About the time I was suppose to sign up with my parents permission and a GED, Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan kicked off and was all over the news, my Mom said that she wasnt going to sign the papers for me to join now, and that she did not want me doing Infantry in the Marines like I had wanted to sign up for.

That means I couldnt join at 17 with a GED like I had planned. So then I stayed in school untill I was 18 so I could join the Marines with a GED as I had spoken with the then local head recruiter and he said they were taking GED's. The same month I turned 18, I went back into the Marine recruiters office. By the time I had turned 18 and could join by myself, they were no longer taking GED's. I tried talking to them for about 6 months about letting me join, but it just wasnt going to happen, heck I even scored 76 on the ASVAB with a GT score of 109 back in late 2002. That is a pretty good score from what I understand.

From 2003 to 2005 I had gained 80 pounds from sitting around on the computer so much (TONS of computer games), being lazy and not working out like I did so much in school. I have no one to blame for this but myself, I've been working out for the past 3 weeks and its going great, I'm down from 265 pounds to 245. I want to be back to what I was in High School JROTC; 5' 10" / 185 pounds / 10% body fat. Ive been going to the gym almost every day, riding my mountain bike the 6 miles to the gym and 6 miles back.

I have pretty much made up my mind about joining the Coast Guard and doing some college while in (15 credits or more are required with a GED to join the Marines now), then try to join the Marines a few years down the road after I get out of the Coast Guard. Ive already been in contact with the Coast Guard recruiters and have taken the ASVAB again because the last time I had taken the ASVAB has been over 2 years ago. I re-took the ASVAB last month, I scored 64 on the ASVAB with a GT score of 106. Because I have 3 years of ROTC, I will be going in as an E3. The job I picked is Gunners Mate (armorer and gunner onboard Coast Guard vessels and training facilities world wide). Gunners Mate is not a guarentee'able A-School (MOS); but I looked into it and since I will be an E3 I will get priority over any one who is a lower rank than me, which is every one in boot camp (they will all be E2's and E1's with maybe the exception of one or two which I doubt will want the exact same job as me).

The Coast Guard recruiter was really cool, down to earth guy, no BS. A few of the other ones tried to BS me into signing up unsigned on a job; so I kept comming back different days to talk with different recruiters. The recruiter I finally found said that there is no reason why I shouldnt be able to go to Gunners Mate school since I'll be an E3 right out of boot camp (I have priority over E2's and E1's just comming out of boot camp) and I have prior armorer (gunsmith) training and a much higher ASVAB and GT score than most people joining the Coast Guard right now (average ASVAB score for the Coast Guard is high 40's to low 50's he said... I scored 64!).

I have recently taken the ASVAB and scored 64 with a GT score of 106. I had taken the ASVAB for the Coast Guard, although I'm still thinking about going with the Army. If I go with the Army, I plan on going 11B. Hopefully getting into a Ranger Battalion after going through Basic Abn School, and applying for B4 Sniper or a Designated Marksman billet.

So... here are a few questions.

1: Do you need a High School Diploma to apply for Ranger Battalion and/or Airborne school or can it be done with a GED?

2: Ive heard that you do not need to go through Ranger School to be a Tan Beret Ranger in a Ranger Battalion. True or not?

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated, Thanks!
This dude wrote all day long about being a gunner's mate in the Coast Guard, and as an afterthough, maybe being a Ranger.

Last time I checked being a Ranger isn't something you just do as an afterthought. Well, maybe some of our better posers did.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Tater Nuts wrote:Big John, my best advice for you is motivational in nature. Every time you have thoughts of being a Ranger during the day, follow the following pattern.

1. Find a large mirror to stand in front of so that you can see the majority of your body.

2. Look yourself squarely in the eyes with your best steely faced killer gaze.

3. Say to yourself out loud, "I think I can be a Ranger".

4. Slap youself as hard as you can with your dominate hand.

5. Repeat the following "what are you thinking DUMBASS"
Striking yourself in the testes with a rubber mallet is also authorized.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I don't claim to be the skinniest guy in the world but 5 10 265 is fucking fat on top of fat you still have a long way to go before you do anything there are weight standards
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister

Return to “Recruitment Process”