another intro

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

LRSDOkie
Embryo

another intro

Post by LRSDOkie »

Hello to all who read this, and much respect. This is my intro:

I've spent the better part of the night looking around the forum and I like it a lot. I am 101st Airborne Division from 1989 to 1992 (I am not about to apologize for anyone knowing someone who's "ate up with it" from 101st because that was them not me.)

I got with LRSD immediately upon processing at Ft. Campbell, as a young man who knew less than jack shit about the world. Now I'm a decade and a half older and know slightly more than jack shit.

Unfortunately I am not able to call myself a Ranger and may always feel a somewhat of a void for this, but my day to day regimen consisted of training with and learning from team leaders who had ETS'ed to Campbell from all the different Ranger Batts, and it was nothing for these guys to smoke someone for not knowing the Ranger Creed regardless of whether or not we were going to Ranger School anytime soon. But the situation was unique and extremely high speed and I feel none the less proud of being LRSD (aside from feeling a kinship with Rangers it is not uncommon to have to explain to friends or family "we are similar to Rangers" because the average person does not have common knowledge of LRSD or LRRP). Anyway, having participated well in a Pre-Ranger course I was due my slot for Ranger School until our orders to move out for Saudi.

So I went to Desert Shield/Storm with LRSD 2/17th CAV, and we were there very early (50 of us took over the parking garage at King Fahd Airport and watched over the next months as it filled to a small city of people). We spent some time digging "rollover" hidesites up near the border and pulling missions near the border until the time came that I got to pull my first and only live reconnaissance/surveillance mission, well behind enemy lines. I was on one of only 4 of our teams that got awarded Bronze Stars (yeah 2 teams didn't get missions at all).

Now I'm an electrician, I dabble with webdesign (altho my free and unlimited host cut me off recently, so my sports site/forum is no longer up), divorced (she was a stripper, guess I shoulda knew better).

Well, that should be plenty enough for ya to read I guess, but if there's anything else I need to do or say, someone will let me know I'm sure, heh.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Nice intro LRSDOkie. Thanks for your service to our great country.
Welcome here.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome, LRSDOkie.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
LRP1
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by LRP1 »

Welcome Youngster..Never compare LRP/LRRP to LRSD in the same breath...What we did does not compare to what LRSD is today.
HHC 2/502 Recondo 66 -67 RVN
1FFV Echo LRP 20th INF (ABN) 67 - 68
Team 1 1
Satan's Playboys
From Hell We Rise
B Co Omega Recon CCS RT Hammer
75Th RRA Life Member 2189
Special Operations Association Member 2907-GA
Secretary, Worldwide Army Rangers, Inc

Professional Soldiers Are Predictable; The World Is full Of Dangerous Amateurs.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Welcome and thank you for your service!
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Welcome and thanks for your service.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome young Recon Man!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
LRSDOkie
Embryo

Post by LRSDOkie »

LRP1 wrote:Welcome Youngster..Never compare LRP/LRRP to LRSD in the same breath...What we did does not compare to what LRSD is today.
OK duly noted, I will attempt to forget that we do not even have a common lineage from those units. I guess a patrol and a recon is not necessarily a patrol and a recon. It's not my intention to get into a pissing contest with anyone, so don't mistake anything I've said in my intro as being such, yes, you guys were involved in some heavy shit, I've read plenty about it. But sarcasm aside I will just take your advice where these forums are concerned. Thank you for your service!
101st LRSD Team 2 1989-91
LRSDOkie
Embryo

Post by LRSDOkie »

Also I just want to say I don't really feel I was comparing the 2. I recognize the standard you guys set, but my statement involved trying to explain to civilian types the type of unit I was in.

You know a Ranger is still a Ranger regardless of the era they served or the mission they pulled, I'm not sure one would say to another "you guys didn't do the same thing as we did, didn't see the same type of combat, so don't draw comparisons", it's unfortunate that we can't be the same kind of brethren due to a different era, a change of mission type, and a letter or 2 changed. I do feel a greater bond to LRRP's than Rangers even, and I hope I am not offending anyone, that is not my point at all.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

LRSDOkie

Post by Steadfast »

WELCOME here.

Thank you for all you did for our country.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
LRSDOkie
Embryo

Post by LRSDOkie »

Now I feel like I got off to a bad start. LRP1 I never tell anyone I was LRRP or Ranger. Don't feel I need to lie to anyone because what I did was good enough to warrant it's own respect. Like I said, a civilian doubtful knows what LRRP is either so I can't draw on that to say we are "similar". If they do know what a LRRP is and I can draw from that similarity to explain to the average person what I did, I am always careful to point out the differences too. Don't worry I ain't no poser.
LRP1
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by LRP1 »

LRSDOkie...First, chill out..second, I was not getting into a pissing contest,
and third...I am glad you guys do carry on the tradition..although in a different manner. Welcome again..
HHC 2/502 Recondo 66 -67 RVN
1FFV Echo LRP 20th INF (ABN) 67 - 68
Team 1 1
Satan's Playboys
From Hell We Rise
B Co Omega Recon CCS RT Hammer
75Th RRA Life Member 2189
Special Operations Association Member 2907-GA
Secretary, Worldwide Army Rangers, Inc

Professional Soldiers Are Predictable; The World Is full Of Dangerous Amateurs.
LRSDOkie
Embryo

Post by LRSDOkie »

Sorry, I'm chilling now :oops:
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Aawwww.....isn't that cute!!! :wink:

Sorry....just couldn't stop myself! :D
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Post by 23LRS »

Welcome LRS Brother,
Are you in WAR or 75th RRA?
Riamh Nar dhruid O sbairn lan
(Never Retreat From The Clash of Spears)

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144:1

Return to “Introduction Archive”