Right Shoulder Patch

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I personally don't like the practice. wear the patch of your assigned unit, regardless of who you are attatched/OPCON'd/TACON'd, etc to. period.

it's just another form of coddling. here's a beret. feel special?

don't like your patch? wear DIV/COPRS/ARMY, whatever makes you feel better/special.

it's bullshit.

I'm wearing a fucking NG patch right now, in an active, FORSCOM unit, rolled under a NG higher HQ. whatever. that's the patch I should wear if I didn't have a previous one.

I have a friend in the guard wears a 82nd patch because they were the TF HQ he was under. got another guard friend coming back at Thanksgiving, it'll be interesting to see what he wears. I don't see alot of guard guys wearing their patches.

it's bullshit as far as I'm concerned.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Yes, but what about previous conflicts/wars?.....if you earned a Marine Compat Patch in Vietnam and are currently in the U.S. Army....you should wear your "right shoulder patch" with pride......Yes?
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Patch

Post by GoldCoast »

My unit was not allowed to wear their patch upon their return to home base, so everyone who deployed with me basically got told to choose between two (or some of us three) patches we were allowed to wear. I just picked CENTCOM because it's anonymous, it made sense, and it looks nice.

That was after my BDE CSM had to tell me to stop wearing my unit patch, though... I was pretty stubborn on the topic...
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
RGR Mac
Ranger

Post by RGR Mac »

I was under the impression that the USMC Div patches are not authorized for wear in the Army, no matter what the circumstances.
Co B/1-75 RGR(81-85)
Army Guard 96-to the present day
E-8/MSG.
Ranger Class 12-82
"You can have one for free if it will shut the hole under your nose"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RGR Mac wrote:I was under the impression that the USMC Div patches are not authorized for wear in the Army, no matter what the circumstances.
AR 670-1, para28-17, 14 (Page 240) is very specific about the wear of patches. The Marine corps combat patches come in two flavors

I am one of the few lifers I know (Yes I said lifer) that does not have a love affair with the corps. Beside that point, the videotape that was broadcast by all media outlets of the Marines invading Falluja was actually 2d Infantry Division of the UNITED STATES ARMY. The Marine corps command made an active decision to allow 1/9 Infantry to lead the Marines into combat in Falluja. There's a Ranger on this board who might actually shed a little more light on this subject than me.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

KW Driver wrote:I personally don't like the practice. wear the patch of your assigned unit, regardless of who you are attatched/OPCON'd/TACON'd, etc to. period.

it's just another form of coddling. here's a beret. feel special?

don't like your patch? wear DIV/COPRS/ARMY, whatever makes you feel better/special.

it's bullshit.

I'm wearing a fucking NG patch right now, in an active, FORSCOM unit, rolled under a NG higher HQ. whatever. that's the patch I should wear if I didn't have a previous one.

I have a friend in the guard wears a 82nd patch because they were the TF HQ he was under. got another guard friend coming back at Thanksgiving, it'll be interesting to see what he wears. I don't see alot of guard guys wearing their patches.

it's bullshit as far as I'm concerned.
After OP DS/DS we had our choice between the 24th or the 197th. There is no way in hell I would wear the Dollars patch if I had a choice.

It didn't matter any way..............I had a Scroll! :D :D :D
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
JarHedSolja
Tadpole

Post by JarHedSolja »

Did these soldiers fight alongside the Marines? Yes they did. However... much like the 'wear what you are' statement... why would you wear the patch of a different branch? Shouldn't you take pride in the 2ID patch that you are a part of? Why would you want to wear the symbol of something you never earned?

As far as I'm concerned they never earned the right to wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. If I'm not mistaken the only other time it has been authorized for Army personnel to wear a Marine combat patch was back in WWII. There has been no other qualifying time of service. So if someone from the Army is wearing a Marine patch from RVN, he's out of regs.

(Haven't read AR670-1 in the past few months since my last board so I could be wrong.. but I don't think I am)
1999-2001 USMC
2003-2006 1-148th INF (M)
2006-2009 585th MP Co
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

borebrush wrote:Ranger Silverback. During that invasion I saw alot of Marine footage, including Marines I personally know, on the nightly news. Beit a fmr PlatoonCommander leading a LAR company, or another giving the OpOrder as a Bn XO. Or Brother who was then a Plt Sgt, getting hit multiple times as he drug one of his Marines lifeless bodies out of a crossfire. Ranger Silverback, I'm not saying all this to debunk you or punk you out. I just know that the Army wasn't the only American Unit trading bullets with Haji on the nightly news. (If I misinterpreted your post, well would you take beer instead of pushups? :lol: )

I'm not sure if you were strictly refering to the footage of the first troops crossing the LOD, or the entire operation. Either way, I'm not going argue about the Order of Movement, to me it doesn't matter... over there it's us vs. them and I'd have no problem shootin and movin' with a Soldier on the right of line or clearing rooms with me. The Marines gave those soldiers those patches as a sign of respect and reminder of what two excellent warfighting military units can accomplish when they utilize thier professional rivalry to accomplish thier mission.

Shit, now you got me talking like a Lifer, Ranger... :roll: :lol:
Toad stool...Shut your soup coolers and read the post in context. My intent was not to berate the Corps (that would've been easy) it was to say that the guys I see wearing a Jarine patch earned them fighting beside and for Marines.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

JarHedSolja wrote:Did these soldiers fight alongside the Marines? Yes they did. However... much like the 'wear what you are' statement... why would you wear the patch of a different branch? Shouldn't you take pride in the 2ID patch that you are a part of? Why would you want to wear the symbol of something you never earned?
I cannot answer that question because unfortunately I have not earned my 2ID combat patch (yet).
JarHedSolja wrote:As far as I'm concerned they never earned the right to wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. If I'm not mistaken the only other time it has been authorized for Army personnel to wear a Marine combat patch was back in WWII. There has been no other qualifying time of service. So if someone from the Army is wearing a Marine patch from RVN, he's out of regs.

(Haven't read AR670-1 in the past few months since my last board so I could be wrong.. but I don't think I am)
Would you like me to include the regulation? Wait I'll tell you where to look: AR 670-1, para28-17, 14 (Page 240)
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Why anyone would question SB about the book.... SNAP!
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
RGR Mac
Ranger

Post by RGR Mac »

Silverback wrote:
RGR Mac wrote:I was under the impression that the USMC Div patches are not authorized for wear in the Army, no matter what the circumstances.
AR 670-1, para28-17, 14 (Page 240) is very specific about the wear of patches. The Marine corps combat patches come in two flavors

I am one of the few lifers I know (Yes I said lifer) that does not have a love affair with the corps. Beside that point, the videotape that was broadcast by all media outlets of the Marines invading Falluja was actually 2d Infantry Division of the UNITED STATES ARMY. The Marine corps command made an active decision to allow 1/9 Infantry to lead the Marines into combat in Falluja. There's a Ranger on this board who might actually shed a little more light on this subject than me.

"Soldiers who were prior members of other services that participated in operations that would otherwise meet the criteria below are NOT authorized to wear the SSI-FWTS. Wear is reserved for individuals who were members of U.S. Army units during the operations".

That's what I thought, but you had me second guessing myself.
Co B/1-75 RGR(81-85)
E-8/MSG.
Ranger Class 12-82
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RGR Mac wrote:That's what I thought, but you had me second guessing myself.
Not sure I understand? All of my comments have been directed toward members of the Army who fought with Marines.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RGR Mac
Ranger

Post by RGR Mac »

Roger, that's just something I did not know about, so I was looking from another direction obviously. I'll look again.
Co B/1-75 RGR(81-85)
E-8/MSG.
Ranger Class 12-82

Return to “The Mosh Pit”