I cant swim that well

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Trung N
Embryo

I cant swim that well

Post by Trung N »

Hi im planing on taking RIP right after airborne, but there only one problem i cant swim that well...will the RI let me practice and when they feel im ready..then send me to ranger school? how does this work..
Carboned114
Tadpole

CWST

Post by Carboned114 »

At RIP your going to have to be able to complete the CWST (combat water survival test). See Morgan's post titled CWST in this section of the forum.
Trung N
Embryo

Post by Trung N »

so should i practice before being shipped out, i leave in 6 weeks and i know im not that well of a swimmer so what should i do, man i really want to become an Airborne Ranger
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

Trung N wrote:so should i practice before being shipped out
If your concerned about your swimming skills then yes. Hit the pool, lake, whatever's around you.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Or, you could just wait until you go, have them throw you in the deep end along with all the others and see if your survival instincts will help you make it. But, I can pretty much guarantee that they won't and you'll be going to the 'needs of the Army'.
Trung N
Embryo

Post by Trung N »

whats 'needs of the army'?
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

I second that.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

OK, snapper. Check it out. You need to take a few moments prior to every question you feel the need to ask, and utilize the search utility that the site admin has so graciously provided for your benefit. Then read the threads that your search has referenced.

It's not that us Rangers come on this site to get our kicks by belittling people. It's that is really gets old when you answer the same question umpteen different times because the cherries didn't search to see if the questions have been previously answered on another thread.

Then, if your search comes up dry, then ask away.

Roger?

Now. Needs of the Army basicly means that you are a miserable failure, have bolo'd out, can't do shit right, and have absolutely no chance in Hell of ever wearing the beret. So, you're fate is now left up the the needs of the army, and you are subject to worldwide assignment (can you say -K-O-R-E-A?) wherever the Army needs someone of your "skills".
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Or you could practice swimming with a big rock tied around your waist. :lol:
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

and have your buddies carry you and your rock up a hill overlooking your swimming hole, blindfold you, and throw your ass off and see if you find the shore or if you sleep with the fishes. :lol:

That was always fun when it was cold.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Trung N
Embryo

Post by Trung N »

I will become a Ranger you guys watch !! im taking swimming lessons right now..i would of think that u guys would have been a little more understanding, you guys have to know that once in your life you werent rangers yet!!
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

You ship out in less that six weeks, have a leg contract, can't swim, and have thought about joining the Marines instead. I don't think you are focused yet.

When I made up my mind to become a Ranger, I wouldn't have wiped my ass with the Marine Corps (no offense LN). My point is, I wouldn't entertain the thought of anything else. No, I didn't know shit. Yes, I got my bag smoked until I learned. And so shall you, or you will fail.

There is a BIG difference in swimming in your speedos, and swimming in full BDUs with 15 - 30 lbs worth of shit on you. I grew up swimming in rivers and lakes. The CWST was a breeze for me. River crossings on training ops were a different story (if you would have did a search, you would know that my team leader and I almost drowned on a river crossing, and we both were experienced, strong swimmers. That, and the CWST training is the only thing that saved our lives). If you can't swim 6 weeks out from your ship date, you're in for an uphill battle. You have a lot of obstacles to overcome to ever get to wear the beret. You'd better get focussed.

Good luck to you. If you think the Rangers on this board are being mean and not very "understanding" of your needs, you're gonna need all the luck you can get, cause what you see on this board is as "nice and understanding" as Rangers get where cherries are concerned.

And Ranger Pete ain't bullshitting you about tieing a rock around your waste, either.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

LN:

Remember the thread where I made the comment about Basic, and momma's tit?

Case in point.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96

Return to “About Army Physical Training”