Seeking advice before son signs contract...

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

OK, ABELL9 got it right on the head!

As a Former Recruiter and also a Ranger, I'd like to give you the straight truth, nothing but the truth and only the truth in plain, simple english. Ranger Silverback is absolutely correct and so are the others that have commented before. I'll keep it brief.

You walk in with your son into the recruiting office and your son wishes to be an Army Ranger!

Recruiter in the office is there to sell you the Army not a Job in the Army. The job is sold by the MEPS counselor at MEPS, He's the one who prints and allocates the specific job your son wants..i.e. Airborne Ranger.

The Recruiter facilitates your son's paperwork ensures he's qualified in three areas,

1. Education (HS diploma with and ASVAB AFQT score of 50 or above)

2. Moral (criminal Background check no felonies or open court actions even traffic tickets, SF 86 etc. local police check where he's worked, lived and went to school)

3. Medical (asks and gets any medical document required to enlist or that may be questionable during physical exam at MEPS and fill out medical questionaire for applicant from answered derieved from your son)

The recruiter is told what jobs are over strenght and under strenght every month and tries to stir applicants to those specific jobs...but continiously told to sell the Army not the JOB! That's the MEPS counselors JOB!

The Information that SB has told you is correct, There is no Billet (job) for 19D Cav Scout in the Ranger Regiment PERIOD! If your son chooses 19D he will NOT go to the Ranger Regiment but will go to a RSTA (recon,Surveillance, Target Aquistion) BN, in which Silverback happens to be presently assigned.

Once your son agrees to join the Army he will be taken to MEPS and begin with taking of the ASVAb if he hasn't already done so, then he will proceed to Medical and get a full physical. If he completes the physical with no complications he will then proceed to the MEPS counselor for the choosing of his job! IMPORTANT! He chooses not the MEPS counselor..He says 11x with option 40 and the counselor says "sorry..no slots available right now" my advice is to say "I'll wait and come back when you do have a slot". The counselor will act perterbed and angry but it's an act, He'll tell your son to go sit down in the waiting area while he calls someone or hopes your son will change his mind and take the job he offered to him instead of 11X with option 40.

The Counselor is using your lack of knowledge about the process against you and so is the recruiter. A good recruiter will tell you everything I've explained in detail. The Counselor will wait to you are close to last person he sees for the day to call you back in (this is to make you feel like an opportunity is slipping away) and will ask if you are ready to take the job he offered. Tell your son to tell him NO! and stick to 11x with option 40, and then a miracle will happen and your son will get a contract with 11X with option 40 on it and he'll be glad he stuck it out. If the counselor says he doesn't have the slot, then tell your son he can come back another day..it won't be held against him.

Here's another Secret recruiters try not to divulge about the process, YOU, Yes YOU! can go with him to MEPS for the whole process except for the Physical..You can sit with your son while the Counselor sells him a job. If you can take a day off from work and be with him that would be preferable than him getting tagteamed by the counselors by himself and it will keep the counselor honest. If you go, bring your patience because it takes all day and a lot of waiting, but for your son's sake it will be worth it.

If you have any questions PM me so I don't bore everyone here!
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
robtye
Embryo

Thank You

Post by robtye »

Rangers:

Thank to all of you for for insight and clearification, especially you Ranger Wellfed. My greatest hope is that my son follows your leadership in proudly serving our country.

Very Respectfully, Rob
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Thank You

Post by AbnRgr289 »

robtye wrote:Rangers:

Thank to all of you for for insight and clearification, especially you Ranger Wellfed. My greatest hope is that my son follows your leadership in proudly serving our country.

Very Respectfully, Rob
Rob, if your son is interested in the Army and becoming a Ranger, get him to register and post an intro here on the site.

There is a wealth on information at his finger tips right here, all he has to do is use the search button.

The DEP's here all work together and he might even pick up a Mentor.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

AbnRgr289 wrote:

Very Respectfully, Rob
Rob, if your son is interested in the Army and becoming a Ranger, get him to register and post an intro here on the site.

There is a wealth on information at his finger tips right here, all he has to do is use the search button.

Maybe even me :twisted:
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Silverback wrote:
AbnRgr289 wrote:

Very Respectfully, Rob

Maybe even me :twisted:
And we have a volunteer. :D
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89

Return to “Recruitment Process”