Finished OSUT

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Finished OSUT

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Ranger's and Deps,
Im checking back in with another quick sitrep.
I completed OSUT training July 7th. I am currently in Airborne hold on Sand Hill.
Basic training/AIT was a good experience. I am proud of what I have accomplished so far but at the same time I know I have a tough road ahead of me and am remaining focused on the tasks ahead.
If any Dep's have any questions about Basic/AIT feel free to ask me.

One last thing, on the FTX road march I developed what I believe is a stress fracture in my left foot. I completed the march and managed to get through the last 2 weeks of training and graduate. Unfortunatly I do not think I would be able to hang on the runs in Airborne right now with my foot in this condition. I have had minor swelling since the march and am unable to put pressure on the balls of my left foot
I read this post by SFC Hit_it
http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=14734
My plan is to go to sick call on tuesday and have my foot evaluated by the doctor. Im hoping that the injury is not to severe and I'll just be a med holdover until im back up to speed.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Ideally, if you have a stress fracture, there is absolutely no shame in holding over for a couple to let it heal right.

If your planning on going to RIP after Airborne School, you definately want it healed right.

Congrats!!
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Hey Joseph Congrats on the Blue Cord! Outstanding!
Now play it smart and go to sick call and get your foot checked out, let it heal and then go to Jump School. You're doing good and remember to take this one step at a time. Get the foot checked out .
Good Luck and stay focused.
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Joseph, if you end up getting put on med hold make sure you stay in shape.

Keep the pressure of the foot and do what ever you can to stay in shape. P/U's with your foot of the ground, a stationary bike using the heel of the foot in question, what ever it takes. Jump school PT isn't that stressful, but RIP PT is.

Don't forget that.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Joseph PrettyDeepWater

Post by Steadfast »

Congratz Soldier.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Bazooka Breath
Ranger

Post by Bazooka Breath »

Hey man, I feel your pain, I get a cast put on my right foot tomorrow for the same thing! My Battalion PA said it will be on there for 4-6 weeks and then maybe longer if not fully healed. Then you have to go through rehab!
Hope things work out for you, make sure if it is a stress fracture, it heals COMPLETELY before you move on with training. If you don't you'll fuck yourself in the long run.
Bars
2nd plt., A co., 2nd/75th

"Eyes Open, Mouth Shut, Fucking Go For It, Never Quit, Ranger!!!!!!"
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

Joseph. Congrats.
" I have had minor swelling since the march and am unable to put pressure on the balls of my left foot"
Don't worry about that, just put pressure on your Balls and drive on.
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
cdwdirect
Ranger

My friend.

Post by cdwdirect »

I can't tell you how many times me and my friends said this phrase:
Airborne School is so gay.
The only part that's really cool is week 3 when you're walking out that roaring door and stepping into air. It makes it all worth while. You'll think some crazy shit in the moments preceding that, kinda wiggin' out, but once you've done it once or twice, you're pretty much in the mood to rack out once you're inspected. I've fallen asleep on every lift since I've been in Batt.

D Co. PT'ed nice and hard, but the task/condition/standards across the school are not difficult to measure up to in the slightest. I did a couple of the four mile runs just hammered off my ass from Hefe at the Benning Brew Pub. I was a walking pitcher of beer, dizzy and heaving, and I did the runs just fine... and rolled on with the day. It's doable. That's all I'm saying.

:lol: Congrats on finishing OSUT. Now you know where I was coming from when I wrote so much of the stuff I've written here. Keep pushing. You'll ask yourself this, and I can assert in no uncertain terms...

IT IS WORTH IT. GET IN.
2/75, COCKS

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -Steve McQueen
Nomad
Ranger

Re: My friend.

Post by Nomad »

cdwdirect wrote:I can't tell you how many times me and my friends said this phrase:
Airborne School is so gay.
The only part that's really cool is week 3 when you're walking out that roaring door and stepping into air. It makes it all worth while. You'll think some crazy shit in the moments preceding that, kinda wiggin' out, but once you've done it once or twice, you're pretty much in the mood to rack out once you're inspected. I've fallen asleep on every lift since I've been in Batt.

D Co. PT'ed nice and hard, but the task/condition/standards across the school are not difficult to measure up to in the slightest. I did a couple of the four mile runs just hammered off my ass from Hefe at the Benning Brew Pub. I was a walking pitcher of beer, dizzy and heaving, and I did the runs just fine... and rolled on with the day. It's doable. That's all I'm saying.

:lol: Congrats on finishing OSUT. Now you know where I was coming from when I wrote so much of the stuff I've written here. Keep pushing. You'll ask yourself this, and I can assert in no uncertain terms...

IT IS WORTH IT. GET IN.
Although he did fine, don't drink in Jump School. One more chance for you to fuck up and get shit-canned, so close to where you want to be. Best advice right now is to stay off of your foot until it heals. Do anything and everything else, from push-ups to sit-ups to flutterkicks, dips, shoulder-presses...you will need to stay in shape for RIP or you won't be able to hang.

I highly suggest that you go to the pool at the least 4 times a week and run laps in there and swim. Both are low-impact rehab exercises and you will stay in shape. If you need a good swim workout, I'll send you one I used when my ankle was completely fucked up.

Congratulations on earning your blue chord, Soldier! Now go and swim!
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Rangers,
Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.
I did as you all said and went to sick call on tuesday in ABN hold.

I fractured a bone at about the arch of my foot. My doctor was pretty pissed off because it was a 3 week old fracture.
Anyway they gave me some anti inflamatory pills and a wooden shoe (aka Japanese Jump boot). I've also been sent to a Medical Convalescent Unit for 30 days. As of right now my new DS said absolutely zero PT. Although he also made it very clear that all the DS's leave after 1800. Therefore I'll be able to do upper body pt in the bay. Its just unfortunate that as of right now I am unable to use the facilities such as the gym or pool.
It is definetly a set back but at the same time it gives me time to re-gain my focus and work on upper and abdominal PT. Luckily for me my buddy who also has an Opt 40 has the same injury and we are there together. Otherwise I'd go insane being around all the kids who cant hack it.
I believe thats about it for now.
When I get more information i'll post again.

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Smart to fix it while you're in Hold. Instead of trying to make it through BAC.

Come back strong and smoke this thing.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Letters from School”