New Civilian Member

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

christopherjshim
Embryo

New Civilian Member

Post by christopherjshim »

Rangers,

My name is Chris, a 23 year-old college graduate, civilian and naturalized citizen applying to medical school this summer. If (and when) accepted, I aspire to serve my country as an Army medical officer.

I realize that I am a complete stranger to this illustrious community, having never served in uniform (let alone tabbed) nor in the process of going any time really soon (like the DEPers on this board). However, I respectfully ask that you permit me to read and learn, and from time to time, to ask a question or two. I am interested in the Ranger community for three reasons:

1. As a classmate of a buddy who was commissioned through ROTC, became a Ranger, then served at Ft. Irwin before joining the regiment, I have long held him and his fellow Rangers in a kind of respectful awe.

2. As a graduate of a selective private university in Boston, I have long been interested in why fewer and fewer students from prestigious schools are serving our country (and the implications this has for future civil-military relations, especially amongst political elites who went to these snooty schools). I wrote my senior thesis on this topic from the perspective of a big fan of the uniformed services in general, and the Army Rangers specifically.

3. As a son of Korean immigrants, I believe it is important for adopted citizens like myself to give back to the country which has blessed them so richly. (On a side-note, while I do seek to understand the roots of anti-Americanism so I can better counter it, I am nonetheless disgusted by anti-US protests in my father's country of South Korea. My parents probably wouldn't be alive were it not for the brave intervention of the US 8th Army.)

I look forward to learning.

yours very respectfully,
Chris
Last edited by christopherjshim on March 29th, 2004, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Welcome to the site!

Hope we can help.

RLTW
RSD 96-99
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Welcome aboard. We look forward to your contribution. My First Seargent in 3rd Batt. was from Korea. His last name was Chin. I thought he was a great man. Hooah little fucker.

Enjoy the show.
Last edited by Looon on March 29th, 2004, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Welcome aboard and please, let us know what you think about Senator John Kerry.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Spartan wrote: let us know what you think about Senator John Kerry.
Please feel free to let us know in the politics forum. We would be very interested in your views on the man.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Harris
Tadpole

Post by Harris »

Welcome 8)
do you like taking biology in school?
Slip away.
(Badmuther's Bitch)
being held hostage in sandhill...
Ray80
Infantryman

Post by Ray80 »

Welcome, Chris. All new members should write as well as you do. Way to go on gettin’ edjumikated….. gettin’ your learn on…… finishing college.

I will be getting a diploma from one of those “prestigious schoolsâ€
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Post by EggMcMuffin »

Welcome. :cool:
USAFA-CAP
SWR-TX-441

With my left hand and the internet, anyone's my girlfriend.

"We must remember that one man is much the same as another,
and he is best who is trained in the severest school." -Thucydidies
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome Chris
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Welcome, Chrisjism! :wink: :lol:
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Chris-
Welcome to the site and thanks for the generous words. Glad to have you aboard. Feel free to jump in with both feet. :wink:
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
straightshooter
Tadpole

Post by straightshooter »

Welcome to the board. Even though things get a little rauchy there's the other side to these guys too that is very educated and informative. They really truly are here to lend advice to people who are really interested. Some areas aren't for the faint of heart, but as a med student, you could handle that too. These Rangers take the issues of freedom and protection very seriously, along with all that have joined. Enjoy!
55B, 1989-1992, Ft. Benning, GA. United States Army Marksmanship Team 1990-1992, International Pistol.

life is what you make of it
Bell

Post by Bell »

Welcome Chris.

RLTW
Bell

Return to “Introduction Archive”