LRS Deactivation

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Post by 23LRS »

ou definitely have to explain this remark...
I feel like the LRS units should be full time AD solidiers, with dedicated funding, schools and training.. By relegating them to the NG they are putting the on the back burner.
Riamh Nar dhruid O sbairn lan
(Never Retreat From The Clash of Spears)

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144:1
23LRS
US Army Veteran

LRS

Post by 23LRS »

Also, you dont have to be 11B any more, since the RSTA's will be in armour untits, there will be 19D's in them. Also, you will not have to be airborne qualified.

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

my fingers for battle.
Silverback
Ranger

Re: LRS

Post by Silverback »

23LRS wrote:Also, you dont have to be 11B any more, since the RSTA's will be in armour untits, there will be 19D's in them. Also, you will not have to be airborne qualified.
RSTA Squadrons will not be aligned only with Armor units...Actually every Brigade Combat Team will have a RSTA Squadron.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Post by 23LRS »

Silverback wrote:
23LRS wrote:Also, you dont have to be 11B any more, since the RSTA's will be in armour untits, there will be 19D's in them. Also, you will not have to be airborne qualified.
RSTA Squadrons will not be aligned only with Armor units...Actually every Brigade Combat Team will have a RSTA Squadron.
I also just read that they each on will have a dismount platoon with 11B's and snipers.

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

my fingers for battle.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

23LRS wrote:
Silverback wrote:
I also just read that they each on will have a dismount platoon with 11B's and snipers.
In case it's not obvious, I am currently a member of a RSTA Squadron. One of the Troops (A Cavalry Company) is full of 11B's (From 1SG to Private) and they are refered to as the Dismount Recon Troop.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Post by 23LRS »

Silverback wrote:
23LRS wrote:
Silverback wrote: RSTA Squadrons will not be aligned only with Armor units...Actually every Brigade Combat Team will have a RSTA Squadron.
In case it's not obvious, I am currently a member of a RSTA Squadron. One of the Troops (A Cavalry Company) is full of 11B's (From 1SG to Private) and they are refered to as the Dismount Recon Troop.
Got it, thanks for clearing up the confusion on my end!

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

my fingers for battle.
NG_11B30
Embryo

The Skinny on RSTA

Post by NG_11B30 »

I've been doing a lot of studying lately, mostly because I got pissed that everyone is saying "we're RSTA" but no one has any idea what that means.

Most of us, including myself have the terminology all wrong. Chew on this for a second then let me explain: RSTA is a set of TASKS!, Reconnaissance Squadron is the unit that performs them.

In transformation, there are essentially three kinds of Brigades in the US Army's conventional forces. The IBCT, HBCT, and SBCT. Infantry, Heavy, and Stryker.

Infantry is like but not the same as the old Light infantry brigade, Heavy is like but not the same as the old Armored Brigade, Stryker is stryker.

AASLT, and Airborne brigades are in the IBCT configuration, they are IBCT's with AASLT or Airborne Qualifications.

okay--- I am not going into the details of how the bde's are organized. I want to focus on the Reconnaissance Squadrons within the IBCT's only. The rest of you interested in anything else can stop reading cuz I am not going to say anything about the other Bde's.

The Reconnaissance Squadrons (RS) STRICTLY WITHIN THE IBCT are composed of a HHT, A & B Troops, which are mounted recon troops equipped with the M1114 Hummers. C Troop is a dismounted recon troop. I want to focus entirely now on the dismounted recon troop and talk about some crazy BS that the army is doing.

First the MTOE of the 'dismounted recon troop' There is a HQ's, a Mortar Section, a Sniper Section, and two Scout Platoons. Vehicles include One LMTV and seven cargo hummers, 9 zodiac boats with motors. All duty positions within the Scouts, Snipers and Mortars are 11 Series. NOT 19D.

The mortars are armed with 60mm mortars to support the movement of the Scouts and Snipers. There are four sniper teams in the sniper section. There are three scout teams of six men each and a hq's cell in each scout platoon.

Now, lets focus on the Scout Platoons. All of the duty positions within the SP are 11 series MOS. Each SP is manned like a LRS platoon, they are composed of Teams, not sections. Each team has a team leader, an assitant team leader, a senior scout observer, a scout observer, an RTO and an assistant RTO.

Now, the ARTEP for the platoon is "Mission Training Plan for the Infantry Reconnaissance Platoon and Squad."

Which leads me to the first thing that pisses me off.

If its got an infantry reconnaissance team, an infantry reconnnaissance platoon, why in the hell don't they call it what it is? "The Infantry Reconnaissance Company"

The answer is this: Since the RS is a combined arms unit (cav and infantry) , and combined arms doctrine is written at Ft. Knox, KY by the Armor Center, Home of Tankers and Cavalry, the names are Armor Center driven. Prejudiced if you will. To be fair, when I emailed the officers responsible for this they told me that The Infantry Center reviewed and okayed the doctrine.

But when you look at the name of the unit on paper and you see "dismounted reconnaissance troop" you think its a CAV organization, that is temporarily on foot. To me, dismounted means that at some point and time they will mount back up again.

If it were labeled "the infantry reconnaissance company" your mind conjures up a picture of what the unit is capable of, and how it is equipped.

The DRT (dismounted Reconnaissance Troop) is a unit which conducts stealthy or deliberate reconnaissance. But the manuals are still being written. If you have the appropriate access you might access them on AKO. They are FM3-20.96, and FM3-55.93 these are draft publications!

You can still bug decision makers and/or politicians and make the armor center spell these things out. They FM's are vague when it comes to speaking about the mtoe of the DRT's. In the FM they don't mention the mortar capability of the DRT, or the correct amount of vehicles, instead they say the DRT has "one LMTV" they don't discuss in detail the waterborne insertion capability of the DRT, or the sniper capability in detail.

The descriptions and discussions in the FM's for the RS focuses primarily on the mounted reconnaissance troops. So, while the DRT is going to have all the tools of a LRS unit, but with much more teeth, the Armor center is downplaying it in the FM's. The FM's don't do a very good job of describing how the DRT's operate. They should function on the LRS operational cycle of "Plan, insert/infil, execute RSTA tasks, exfil/extract, debrief/recover"

What they should have done is let the RSLC school develop the FM for the DRT and then have a committe of infantry and cavalry guys write the FM for the RS. To be fair a new FM is going to be written titled "The Reconnaissance Troop" which will describe the recon troops within the three types of Brigades (I,H, or S) it will likely have a brief description of the DRT. The FM number will be 3-20.971 which is currently the FM for the Stryker Reconnaissance Troop.

I've written a Scout Platoon SOP for the DRT. Its pretty good if I do say so myself. I explain in great detail the waterborne stuff, fieldcraft, countertracking, insertion, extraction. All SOP's are works in progress and they are never finished, but I offer mine to you if you want it. I also have a paper explaining what RSTA is and how we do it. If you're an authorized Army Guy, with an AKO address shoot me a PM and I will send them to you. I've also sent the SOP I wrote to CALL, in the near future you may be able to get it from them.

There is a Reconnaissance Squadron SOP available online, it is ST 3-20.96. Its a general SOP for all three types of RS.

I can tell you how to find it on AKO.
*NOT* a Ranger. 1st AD/ 101st ABN/ 41st BDE.
LRSD Ranger
Ranger

Post by LRSD Ranger »

That was one of the saddest things I've seen in a long damn time, going to the RSLC homepage and seeing the word's DISBANDED under my units name. FUCK!
Active Duty 1993-1996
25th LRSD Dec 1993-March 1996
Ranger School Class 7-95
Team 4, 25th LRSD
PurduePara203
Ranger

Disbanding LRS units

Post by PurduePara203 »

It is pretty shitty that they're disbanding a bunch of LRSUs these days but the ones that remain will get increased funding and a much better MTOE.
"In a world of compromise, some don't"

HHC 1-323rd 2001-2002 (USAR)
151st INF Det. (LRS) (ABN), 38th ID, IN National Guard 2003-present, currently Sniper section assistant team leader
Ranger Class 07-06
LRSD Ranger
Ranger

Post by LRSD Ranger »

Another question that now comes to mind is where are they reassigning these guys that are being deactivated? Are they going directly to the new Cav units or are they being just sent any damn where that'll take them?
Active Duty 1993-1996
25th LRSD Dec 1993-March 1996
Ranger School Class 7-95
Team 4, 25th LRSD
PurduePara203
Ranger

Post by PurduePara203 »

LRSD Ranger wrote:Another question that now comes to mind is where are they reassigning these guys that are being deactivated? Are they going directly to the new Cav units or are they being just sent any damn where that'll take them?
I heard most went to a Striker unit, but who knows. I don't know many LRS soldiers that would go to a leg/mounted unit without putting up a fight.
"In a world of compromise, some don't"

HHC 1-323rd 2001-2002 (USAR)
151st INF Det. (LRS) (ABN), 38th ID, IN National Guard 2003-present, currently Sniper section assistant team leader
Ranger Class 07-06
Mother_Benning
Ranger

Post by Mother_Benning »

A lot went SF......
lonergr77
Ranger

RSTA

Post by lonergr77 »

The RSTA acronym came out of the SOF community in 2000 meaning "Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Target Acquisition". The Big Army thought it was a good idea but only took the name and none of the gear the SF cats have been using for years to get the job done. Bunch of retards.

Of course every once in awhile you see RSTA with an I in it RISTA, the I standing for intelligence. But the SOF program out of Tampa is RSTA.
lonergr77

3rd Plt, Cco, 2/75 - Nov '96 to Dec '99
RRD - Dec '99 to Dec '03
TSE Inc - Dec '03 to May '10
RRC Civilian - May '10 -
RC - 3-98
testedone

Post by testedone »

Wow lot of good info..

So what are the mission differences between the LRSU's and the RSTA?

Looking to find info on the LRS in Indiana but there is a RSTA unit down the street from my location...

If anyone could tell me the difference in the missions I would appreciate it...

Thanks

Return to “Reconnaissance”