Question On Bringing Money

Basic & AIT
kduhg

Question On Bringing Money

Post by kduhg »

Hey. I read some websites that said to bring no more fifty bucks with you. Why would you actually have to bring money? Do you actually have to buy the food from the military chowhalls or would you have to pay for something else?
DGhost
Embryo

Post by DGhost »

Well... I know with the AF BMT you have to buy at least $100 worth of stuff initially, and then with all the various other items that they are required to own they can easily spend $250+ in clothes, folders, notebooks, flashlights, camo sticks, luggage carriers, shoe shine kits, cotton balls, lots more cotton balls, and other various stuff that is required (or at least highly recommended for some of it).

(on a side note: To get around this they issue you a "smart card" that has $250 on it and is taken at AAFES locations. The $250 is deducted from your first two pay checks.)

Of course, one of the differences that I have heard about between the Army and the AF is that the Army will issue you things, where as the AF tends to want to sell it to you.

I am betting that the Army decided to require people to bring $50 to have so that a) they can buy items that they choose not to issue, b) they have money to buy those items in case there is a delay with your paychecks, c) because when in OSUT/BCT you are not guaranteed to have access to an ATM or bank and should the situation arise, having the cash would be a Very Good Thing(TM) or d) any and all of the above.

Anyways, just my thoughts....
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

At some point in your OSUT experience, the Drill Sgts will 'reward' you by taking you to the PX for about 15 minutes. You will be allowed to purchase some nifty "Follow Me" stationary, a "Love" card for your sweetheart, stamps, pens, envelopes, etc. The Drill Sgts will be praying that someone attempts to buy Copenhagen or some other contraband....and someone will..they always do....and the whole company gets SMOKED.

Other than that, the only time that you will need money will be if your platoon earns Honor Platoon and is rewarded with a little R&R. Then you'll need it to wine and dine all of the skanky hookers on Victory Drive and to buy rounds for your buddies.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
PaleHorseRider
Tadpole

palehorserider

Post by PaleHorseRider »

mmmhmmm...can't wait for those skanky hookers, yummy.
RGRBaggett

Post by RGRBaggett »

Your going to need money for pt shoes, kiwi, and personal hygiene stuff like toothpaste and shaving supplies while your are at the reception battallion.
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

I heard from a few people that you should bring more then 50 dollar's cash to OSUT. More like $100. But the packing list say's to bring no more then $50. Will they check? Will I need any more then $50? Could someone please enlighten me
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

Crystal....thank you

Return to “About OSUT”