BAC Trainee Death

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Kilted Heathen wrote:As long as the reserve still gets me down the fuckin' tree I'm happy.
You just gotta make sure that you put your hand over the Rip cord protector flap or you will be commando crawling your ass to the next tree. :lol:
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

sobersides wrote:I was contributed to the investigation for a guy that streamered in at Bragg in the mid-90's. What the investigation determined was that if you jump at 800ft AGL, there is not enough time for you to realize you have a total malfuntion and fully deploy your reserve before you hit the ground. In this guy's specific case, his reserve popped out shortly after he hit. The whole thing was caught on video so the investigation was able to determine precise timing from the footage.

If you raise the drop altitude to 1200ft AGL, it gives you just barely enough time to be able to deploy your reserve - but only if you don't hesitate and act immediately. Only 1 second of hesitation and you're too late.
I disagree with this to a degree. I had a total in '94 from 800' (wirecutter on bayonet scabbard cut my static). I had my T-10 reserve open by 400' or so (guessing, and from what DZSO Tm said. It was at night, full moon, clear sky, I was a little busy, so not terribly objective)... not the softest landing, but I got down in one piece.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Tzu-Theory wrote:Am I missing something or is it not still possible to pull your ripcord with arms pinned down (if that even happened)
There are varying versions of the location/position of her arms. The new reserves are also center-pull
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Re: Guess I was lucky, Liket EARTH PIG!

Post by FireFinder »

Snakecharmer, you were at Bragg when I was, do you remember the cadidiot job-shadowing one of the line companies that was messing with his canopy-release-assembly and promptly streamered when he went out the door, fell 800ft. with his reserve wrapped around his main, and did a PLF with no injuries?

It was in the post newspaper. I distinctly remember my PSG making a big deal about it to the cherries we had.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Re: Damn!!

Post by SkyShark »

snakecharmer wrote: There was also one of the riggers that was packing them to FAIL and got his ass booted to Leavenworth. You might rember that one?
I remember in 94 or 95 a jackass rigger was cutting the static lines just a little bit so that the initial shocl would tear the line in half and well, no chute deployment.
It's all good.
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

I remember that well. Spent 4 hours looking for a body in the orange groves of Avon Park on an EDRE. JM pulled in D-bags and had 1 missing with a snapped static line.

Jumper was fine, looked like the wind popped the bag after he deployed.

That fucker should burn.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry
Ranger175csar
Ranger

Post by Ranger175csar »

Unknown wrote:
sobersides wrote:
UnKnown wrote:YOu have plenty of time now to open your reserve. The MRPS deploy in 1.5 seconds.
That's great news. Sounds like they made some good modifications there. You know, you often wonder when you participate in investigations if anything will ever change. It's good to know that things do change, and that equipment keeps getting better.
We started using them a couple of years ago. I think we started in 2000. Remember the old T-10 reserve. You had to throw it out and away. :lol:
Shit thats what we had... now I'm feeling old.. fuckers
Collins

1/75 HHC 94-96 S-4
RIP CLASS 7-94

Fuck em if they cant take a joke.....

Return to “About Airborne School”