Leadership

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

CommoGuy81
Embryo

Leadership

Post by CommoGuy81 »

Hopefully this won't be to long. I have a question. What does it take to be a good leader? I ask this because I have noticed and its probably just me, that since I have been in the Army the quality if soldiers has drascticly fallen, damn near through the floor. I especially noticed this during my tour in Korea. I tell a soldier to come back from chow and the S.O.B. comes back ten minutes late. I tell him to start pushing and blows me off like I was nothing. My squad leader then takes over to back me up and the soldier drops for him instead of me. We got rid of two joes that couldn't figure out that you have to be 21 to drink in Korea now, and they couldn't get that through their thick heads. One of them bit the other ones finger off in an attept to keep one from wrecking his room while he was drunk. When I came in I was scared to death of everyone PFCs to NCOs, I snapped to parade rest when I talked to all of them. No adays a joe will walk up to and start talking to you like your there best friend, and it never matters how much you yell, scream write there ass up it doesn't matter. Its like theres no home training anymore, now sense of self pride. Most come in with uniform all wrinkled up like they pulled it out of there ruck, and their boots look like they were shined with a Hershey bar. I don't know weather to blame the parents, us as NCOs, the Drill Sergeants or what. Kids aren't scared of us anymore like I used to be. Hell I still have trouble talking to a 1SG or CSM without being nervous. I realize both are human and put their pants on one leg at a time like I do, but I still get shook talking to them. Also its seems like you damn near can't smoke joe anymore and you have to write a thousand counseling statements on someone to get any kind of action, and even if you have a couseling packet on someone six inches thick the 1SG or the CO won't do anything with them. Usually its "Well we need the people we're short handed". Okay, so let the bastards get away with murder then. Seems commands are to worried about feelings and being politically correct. Thats all for my rant just needed some advice or insight. Thanks Rangers.
B co. 501st Sig Bn. 101st ABN DIV. 00-04
*Kosovo May01-Nov01
*Iraq Feb 03-Oct 03
A co. 304th Sig Bn Camp Humphreys ROK 04-05
1st JCS JCSE 05-Present
*Iraq Feb 05-Present
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Well.....without even reading your whole post, my first answer would be:

Lead by example.

Sooo....maybe to start with, attention to detail and following instructions?

Why in the world did you post this in the introduction section when there are dozens of other places which would be much more appropriate for such a question?

We'd love to help, but maybe you should slow down a bit and read some more. Get a feeling for the site and where/when/how to post questions. How to search for your answers before asking to see if they've been asked before (most have). How not to make an ass of yourself and get trounced on by the platoons of Rangers lying in wait for an opportunity JUST LIKE THIS ONE! :lol:
RSD 96-99
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Oh Yeah.....

THE RANGE IS OPEN!!!
RSD 96-99
Nomad
Ranger

Re: Leadership

Post by Nomad »

CommoGuy81 wrote:Hopefully this won't be to long. I have a question. What does it take to be a good leader? I ask this because I have noticed and its probably just me, that since I have been in the Army the quality if soldiers has drascticly fallen, damn near through the floor. I especially noticed this during my tour in Korea. I tell a soldier to come back from chow and the S.O.B. comes back ten minutes late. I tell him to start pushing and blows me off like I was nothing. My squad leader then takes over to back me up and the soldier drops for him instead of me. We got rid of two joes that couldn't figure out that you have to be 21 to drink in Korea now, and they couldn't get that through their thick heads. One of them bit the other ones finger off in an attept to keep one from wrecking his room while he was drunk. When I came in I was scared to death of everyone PFCs to NCOs, I snapped to parade rest when I talked to all of them. No adays a joe will walk up to and start talking to you like your there best friend, and it never matters how much you yell, scream write there ass up it doesn't matter. Its like theres no home training anymore, now sense of self pride. Most come in with uniform all wrinkled up like they pulled it out of there ruck, and their boots look like they were shined with a Hershey bar. I don't know weather to blame the parents, us as NCOs, the Drill Sergeants or what. Kids aren't scared of us anymore like I used to be. Hell I still have trouble talking to a 1SG or CSM without being nervous. I realize both are human and put their pants on one leg at a time like I do, but I still get shook talking to them. Also its seems like you damn near can't smoke joe anymore and you have to write a thousand counseling statements on someone to get any kind of action, and even if you have a couseling packet on someone six inches thick the 1SG or the CO won't do anything with them. Usually its "Well we need the people we're short handed". Okay, so let the bastards get away with murder then. Seems commands are to worried about feelings and being politically correct. Thats all for my rant just needed some advice or insight. Thanks Rangers.
Start off by learning this:

There are some words that sound the same, but mean different things. For example: There/Their/They're *Hint Hint*

When you figure out what attention to detail is, your Privates might not blow you off!
Goog
Ranger

Post by Goog »

Commo Fag, grow some balls and Punch the next person who disrespects you in the face. I bet they change their attitude about you.
90-94 A co 3/75 RGR Regt (2plt/HQ/Wpns)
94-97 75th RGR Regt (Pre-RGR)
Graduated Ranger Class 2-92 "Merrills Marauder"
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Leadership

Post by Ranger Bill »

CommoGuy81 wrote:No adays a joe will walk up to and start talking to you like your there best friend
Do you mean like joining a forum and starting to post long rants, full of bad grammar and poor spelling? Is that what you mean?
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
CommoGuy81
Embryo

Post by CommoGuy81 »

Rangers I apologize for putting this in the wrong thread. I'll slow down like Ranger Vee suggested. I'd love to punch some of these fucks in the face Ranger Goog, and have come damn close, but in the units I've been in the command would roast my ass, and not back me up.
B co. 501st Sig Bn. 101st ABN DIV. 00-04
*Kosovo May01-Nov01
*Iraq Feb 03-Oct 03
A co. 304th Sig Bn Camp Humphreys ROK 04-05
1st JCS JCSE 05-Present
*Iraq Feb 05-Present
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

I thought commo guys were supposed to be smart.......... :roll:
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

How about you man up and ACT like an NCO, which I assume you are.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
SpongeBob
Soldier

Post by SpongeBob »

RANGERS...
If I am stepping on my dick here then let me know....
I just sit and read all the good info you have on this kick ass site and usually don't post...
But this fucker has pisssed me off...

Break...

CG81...
You can't be serious here...
This must be a joke...
Noone can fuck up as many times in 4 life times as you have done in 2 days...
Especially being a COMMO Guy...
What the fuck are they teaching yall now days....?
Or are they even teaching you....?
You are exactly why everyone calls us SIGNAL TURDS....
It is just proof the JCSE has gone to shit if you even made it in the door...

First Impressions are everything....
Good luck man..that is all I can say.....

Sponge out....
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

Hey Sponge how the Fuck are ya? Haven't seen you over hee in a while. Glad something finally made you come out of your commo shed. :lol: :lol:
It's all good.
SpongeBob
Soldier

Post by SpongeBob »

SkyShark wrote:Hey Sponge how the Fuck are ya? Haven't seen you over hee in a while. Glad something finally made you come out of your commo shed. :lol: :lol:
Sky...I had to empty my shit bucket...

No really...something didn't add up with CG81's story....
To be honest with you, the whole thing smelt like big foot took a shit on a burning tire....

Anwyho....I finally got ahold of him in a secure means and he is squared away now....

Break....

CG81...
I apologize for thinking you were fucking koo-koo..
But..go back and look at your posts and you will see what I mean...
The way I see it you got 2 strikes and it aint looking good....
So I would choose wisely and preview like a mother fucker before I posted anything if I were you...

Heading back to Commo Shack...
Sponge out....
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

zuluzerosix wrote:
I have a question. What does it take to be a good leader?
Welcome to the site. I have a suggestion for you. When I was a team leader, I had a First Sergeant that had been in C Co Rangers in Vietnam. The other Rangers called him an "Old Scroll." He made me memorize the 12 Principles of Leadership. I will share a few of them with you right off the top of my head.

Knowing yourself and seeking self improvment.
Being technically and tactically proficient.
Set the example.

If you are having the types of problems you say you are-maybe you should take a look at yourself first.

I am not busting your chops here. And I am not trying to be condescending. It is not my place. This is just a suggestion.
That being said, I thank you for your service and your dedication to protecting this country. Good luck to you and god speed.

Now I am getting out of the line of fire.
Thanks B06, you about said it all & said it perfectly.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Sounds like they don’t respect you, I would say that to have respect you should earn respect. Rank alone doesn’t make it obligatory to be respected. They blow you off for a reason. How did “Bruceâ€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton

Return to “The Mosh Pit”