Citizenship and ship date

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
ggamecrazy
Tadpole

Citizenship and ship date

Post by ggamecrazy »

I am on my way to obtaining an option 40. My mom has applied for her N-400, she took her fingerprints and had the interview but she was told that she would be sworn in April. I hope that will most likely happen, when it does she will file my N-600 right then and there inside the office. From what I have understood from egov.immigration.gov it will then last approximately 4 months untill I will get my citizenship certificate. This will put me in August when I will possibly receive my citizenship. This is bad news because I am shipping on July 12 ( my Birthday). The only chance of now obtaining my citizenship is if I can renegotiate in OSUT if my mother ships my certificate.
I thought about delaying my ship date for about a month so I can have a shot at getting opt. 40 written on paper. However i think that this may be useless for I may not get it in time and I can possibly add the option 40 in my contract in OSUT or Airborne school.
I am not quite sure what my best course of action might be. I would really appreciate any advice on my possible next course of action.

-Thank you
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

This is more Ranger Kilted Heathen's area, but my opinion is that you ship as you are.

Waiting on a citzenship document that (they say) may come in 4 months (but never does) is just going to prolong your goal of joining the Army.

I know a female who joined the Army 2 years ago now and still doesn't have her citizenship document (even though she is a citizen now) because THEY SAID it was only going to be a couple of months.

Of course, that just my opinion. You sound as if you've already made up your mind.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
ggamecrazy
Tadpole

Post by ggamecrazy »

SFC Hit_it, I will most likely get it in 4 or so months since there are no obvious complications in my case. Im kinda torn between waiting for my documents or going in the army and letting my mom mail me the documents when they arrive. I think that shipping without my option 40 and then adding opt 40 into my contract in OSUT or Airborne school is the most likely thing that will happen. I wish I couldove shipped with my opt 40 but life aint that easy sometimes. If overall i don't get a shot at RIP it will be fine since I joined the army to serve my new country and that's all.
Last edited by ggamecrazy on March 20th, 2006, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Table of Elements Skater
Future Soldier

Post by Table of Elements Skater »

ggamecrazy, PM inbound!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

ggamecrazy wrote:SFC Hit_it, I will most likely get it in 4 or so months since there are no obvious complications in my case. Im kinda torn between waiting for my documents or going in the army and letting my mom mail me the documents when they arrive. I think that shipping without my option 40 and then adding opt 40 into my contract in OSUT or Airborne school is the most likely thing that will happen. I wish I couldove shipped with my opt 40 but life aint that easy sometimes. If overall i don't get a shot at RIP it will be fine since I joined the army to serve my new country and that's all.
Good answer. Having been involved in this process a couple times, I will tell you that if you are squared away, your chain of command will speed up things up.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”