did ya ever eat Sushi?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

66G_RN
Vet/ Ranger Wife/ Sister

Post by 66G_RN »

Love the stuff! Even my kids will eat it.

My favorite is Tako, which is octopus. It's hard to come by sushi in Kansas, at least out here in the rural parts, so we make it's Korean counterpart, Kim Bahp, on a fairly regular basis with bulgogi.

Wasabi will clear out your sinuses, that's for sure. Great story! :D
Army Nurse Corps 89-98
Cat
Tadpole

Post by Cat »

The pickled ginger on the side tastes like soap to me :?

The first time I tried sushi I eat a big fork full of wasabi thinking (for some reason) it was avocado –which I love. I see others have mistaken it for something else too :lol:

My eyes began to water and my nose cleared. I had flash backs of the first time I went through the gas chamber. :x
U.S. Army Signal Corps, 31M7A/31S
385th SigCo (FWD) Kuwait Jan 94- Dec 94
235th(67th) TACSAT Ft Gordon, GA. 95-97
--
Mainz-Kastel, Germany 98-00, AD Dept
Ft Bragg 00-02, AD Dept
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Sushi? Big deal.
Took some home with me one time & cooked it up.
Tasted just like fish.

:lol:
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
SmileyTFJ

Post by SmileyTFJ »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasabi's good for clearing your sinuses if you have a bit of a cold!
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

ma91c1an wrote:Bro, you do not use wasabi as a paste.

You pour a little soy sauce into a small plate that will be somewhere on the table. Trust me, it is there. Just look for it.

You grab a small amount of wasabi with your chop sticks and place it into the soy sauce in the small plate.

You then gently stir it in until it dissolves.

Then, you grab your sushi or sashimi with your chop sticks and dip it into the soy sauce. Then throw it into your mouth.

If it is not spicy enough, then dissolve more wasabi in your soy sauce. If it is too spicy, dilute it with more soy sauce, and stir.

You will learn how to mix your wasabi and soy to your personal preference in no time.
Stead my Brother, I thank you for the laugh... I can feel your pain. Ask my Brother here about my dumbass at a Thai place, "Do you want it hot or spicy?" To which I respond "I want it as hot as you can make it." He and I were both dying, sweating and I am sure both not sleeping for two days over that pain. (I can't spell it but that sweet-fire stuff with shrimp is still my favorite thing there.)

66G_RN wrote:Love the stuff! Even my kids will eat it.

My favorite is Tako, which is octopus. It's hard to come by sushi in Kansas, at least out here in the rural parts, so we make it's Korean counterpart, Kim Bahp, on a fairly regular basis with bulgogi.

Really there aren't too many places out there for it and I despise sushi, but next time you all come to KC I will take you all to a place that I am sure you'll love in Overland Park, I'll see if we can get you to try Stead's trick... Stead, again Brother thanks for the laugh... Fantastic story!!!
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stead... wait for part two. Your other hole ain't used to wasabi either! :twisted:
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Wasabi....shit...thats green candy. But Thai food, they make that shit out of Radioactive waste. Good laugh though Stead....I do love Sushi
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Black 6
Ranger

Post by Black 6 »

now i like my food spicey, buy tabasco by the gallon, red pepper (cayenne) by the pound, i even have some stuff that you have to sign a waver saying you wont use it straight (only as an additive at 1tsp : 1gal mix) or that if you die after consuming it you and yours wont sue (its good for gumbo).

but one time i was eating at an asian resturant and i asked for the hot shit, tried it and it was lame so i grab a bottle of this green liquid hot sause, pour it on like it was ketchup, makeing a soup of my food with it. took a bite and my eyes started to sweat, then the rest of me. my eyes turned blood shot and my face looked like i had been spraied with red paint. my dad asks "are you ok" i choke out a "yep" and manage a "spicy" and that was it. i will say that i finished it and shit flames with in 20 min.

remind me to tell yall about the habanero pepper i ate as a dare some day.
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
66G_RN
Vet/ Ranger Wife/ Sister

Post by 66G_RN »

VAK wrote:
66G_RN wrote:Love the stuff! Even my kids will eat it.

Really there aren't too many places out there for it and I despise sushi, but next time you all come to KC I will take you all to a place that I am sure you'll love in Overland Park, I'll see if we can get you to try Stead's trick... Stead, again Brother thanks for the laugh... Fantastic story!!!
Sounds like fun VAK! :D
Army Nurse Corps 89-98
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Yea that first day was real enlightening & I learned. Thanks to all as I jes had my 4th sushi meal in 1 week. That day will be forever etched in my stone of a brain. I moved from that first restaurant was a bit on the expensive side on most items.

I have taken Magacians advice and feel like a real pro now. Today I used regular chopsticks, fumbled with them by in a few minutes was making the sitcks pick from my plate, dip in Magacians blend 95% wasabi (yea that fucken green shit) & 5% their lite soy sauce.

I ordered a Miso soup $1.95, and
# 58. California Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll & Spicy Salmon avocado Roll. $9.95

Here it is two hours later and I still feel stuffed. Thanks all for the advice.

Note to AL (Arden Lady), this new place doesn't have sushmi but will return to the 1st place for that.

Below is the place where I be eating while on my Chinese food diet of one meal a day.

I wish I had a pic of me when my vision went blurry as my mind realized I was in deep shit - funny even to me.

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

If you can find a good place that makes good Yakisobi then you will be a happy man.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
66G_RN
Vet/ Ranger Wife/ Sister

Post by 66G_RN »

Ranger Steadfast, you sound like you're well on your way to becoming a sushi aficionado. I envy you-it's hard to make sushi out of bluegill, catfish and walleye here in the midwest!

I spent 4 months TDY in Hawaii while on active duty. The place we went to was in Pearl City- Kozo Sushi, though I think there were Kozo's all over Oahu. I found the sushi platters were the most economical way to enjoy a variety of flavors.

#37 on your menu is sashimi, thinly sliced raw seafood. My favorite is most definitely tuna (magaro). It has a mild, sweet flavor.

Given you have access to very fresh seafood in NYC, have you thought about making your own sushi? It's not that hard to roll your own sushi and it's a bit more economical. Here's a good link to supplies and instructions for learning how to make sushi and nigiri. http://www.sushimagic.com/index.php

It's funny you mention Yakisoba DarkSaga. I just bought the ingredients for that today. If we're not eating Italian, we're eating Asian cuisine. Fortunately, I have a family that will eat just about anything I put in front of them. Can you tell I spent the first 18 months of my life at Wakkanai Air Station? I think I was brought up on breastmilk and bonito flakes.
Army Nurse Corps 89-98

Return to “The Mosh Pit”