OLD????

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I remember Howdy Doody and Beanie & Cecil. What about Rin Tin Tin, Highway Patrol, Green Lantern, and F Troop? :lol:
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
H75thRangers
Ranger

Post by H75thRangers »

Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with their sidekick Pat Brady (driving a Jeep, of all things). Never figured out how a Jeep was in the "old west"? Capt Kangaroo and Mr Green Jeans, the Texaco Theatre, Ed Sullivan introducing the Beatles and Elvis Presley (before he became just "Elvis") What's My Line hosted by Gary Moore, Mr. Ed, I Spy and SGT Bilko with Make Room For Daddy and Father Knows Best, Leave It To Beaver and the daytime soaps (Edge of Night et al) Sunday evening with the Disney Hour, hosted by Tinkerbell and some Mounties from the R.C.M.P., Broderick Crawford with the Highway Patrol and Perry Mason, followed by E.G. Marshall's The Defenders! Don't forget Petticoat Junction and Our Miss Eve. Original Superman and The Lone Ranger, Our Favorite Martian and To Tell The Truth with Bill Cullen.......................lot of good wholesome memories here!
H Co(Rgr) 75th Inf(Abn) 1st Cav RVN 9/69-5/72
3d Bde (Abn) 101st Abn Div Ft Campbell '72-'74
CENTAG, Seckenheim, Germany '74-'77

If you kill for pleasure, you're a sadist...
If you kill for money, you're a mercenary...
If you kill for both, you're a RANGER!!!
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Wild Bill Hickock - Guy Madison - and "Jingles" - Andy Devine
Cisco Kid, Hopalong Cassidy, Buster Brown Show (Froggy Gremlin, Midnight the Cat, Squeaky the Mouse) "That's my dog Tige, he lives in a shoe, I'm Buster Brown, look for ME in there too!"
TV commercial for Three Musketeers Bar - "Big enough for you and two of your friends!" showed a bar with two notches, kid breaks it in three and hands over the pieces.
Today Show with Dave Garroway
Captain Midnight "Fire up the Silver Dart, Iggy" SQ1, SQ2, etc. "That's Ichabod Mudd, with two D's!"
Captain Video
Stu Erwin Show
You Bet Your Life w/ Groucho Marx "Say the secret word....." "Tell 'em Groucho sent you"

Watch the old newsreels about Patton, there is an interview with four GIs about the war, one is identified as "Pat Buttram from Hollywood CA" you can see this at the museum at Ft. Knox, Buttram was Pat Brady on Roy Rogers.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Silverback wrote:Image
Haahaa thas a good one Silverback. I luv it in a non-huggable way.
Lefty wrote:"That's my dog Tige, he lives in a shoe, I'm Buster Brown, look for ME in there too!"
My mother took me shopping as a little boy for Buster Brown shoes in downtown Brooklyn, NY. In one of the downtown Brooklyn stores, coulda been A & S or Macy's, in the basement they had a custard counter. My mom would buy me a cup of that great tasting stuff. A few blocks away was the Horn & Hardart store that had a wall with little doors where you bought premade food, like pie, cake, sammichs. My mother would always buy tins of their macoroni to take home. My old man lioed that shit! A few more blocks would be Dekalb Ave. Last stop on the local subway in Brooklyn before the subway traveled over Manhattan Bridge towards Manhattan un Flatbush Ave. There would always be thousands of pedestrians back then. Juniors was a few blocks away.

Swimming at Coney Island. 5th grade I transferred to a paracchocial catholic school Our Lady Of Solace two blocks from Steeplechase in Coney Island. You could visit Nathans and get a Frankfuter for a quarter. Or ride the Parachute jump for a dollar. Incidently is where I got my Coney Island Jump Wings from.

When I was maybe 8 years old I watched Captain Jack McMarthy who hosted the Popeye cartoons. That was when Brutus was named Bluto for all you youngsters, next on TV was Officer Joe Bolton who hosted Abbot & Costella or the Three Stooges - I ferget which one.

There was the Late Show & The Late Late Show every evening on CBS TV. The Million Dollar Movie would come on in the evening with a catchy tune which I found out years later was the theme music to "Gone With The Wind"

There were many music stations on AM radio here in NYC - WMCA- The Good Guys, WABC 770AM on your radio dial with Cousin Brucee when he had hair.

Combat with Vic Morrow or The Twilight Zone with Rod Serling. When I was maybe 5 years old I saw King Kong and it scared the bejesus out of me. At night if I had to go to the bathroom, it was down a long corridor under a skylight past the stairs as we lived on the 2nd floor. I used to slink alongside the wall looking up at the skykight to see if King Kong was looking in. Coming out of the bathroom I ran like heck back to bed. I'd sweat my little ass off every time. When I was 10 my old man was fiddling with our Dumont TV set and this dark cloud of awful smoke rose up from the TV and the tube blew. My old man blew the TV up. We had no TV for 3 or 4 years after that. I learned to like the radio during that period and I was out more than in.

One of the million westerns I didn't see mentioned was the Lone Ranger with his sidekick Tonto. He fired Silver bullets and at the end of each episode a voice would say. "A hearthy farewell from the maked man, the Lone Ranger and Tonto. And together they rode off like me now!

Stead
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
keepsmilin
Tadpole

Post by keepsmilin »

How cute is that... I know a bunch of old farts that will love this on their email...

hmmm... I know a sign company that would jump on the chance to make these... LOOKS LIKE some type of a copyright on this...hmm...

-KS
"Do not be too moral, you may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something."
~Henry David Thoreau
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

I guess thats for you and me also, because I remember watching allot of what there talking about and your not much younger then I am. :lol:
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
last.tango
Sister

Post by last.tango »

[quote="Steadfast]There were many music stations on AM radio here in NYC - WMCA- The Good Guys, WABC 770AM on your radio dial with Cousin Brucee when he had hair.

Combat with Vic Morrow or The Twilight Zone with Rod Serling.
Stead[/quote]

I'm pretty late reading this thread, but it has sure brought back alot of memories!! Dang!
I grew up in the east and we listened to the NYC radio stations. One had Wolf Man Jack on it too (Ranger Steadfast, was it the same one (770AM) as Cousin Brucee, but a dif. late time slot?)
The riderless horse at President Kennedy's funeral burnt itself into my young brain.
I remember when color TV came out. All my friends families got one, but my Dad wouldn't because our B&W worked just fine. I was an adult before I knew the "dream" in The Wizard of OZ was in color!
Those were the days....
Last edited by last.tango on February 17th, 2006, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I was talking to my dad born in 1929 about penicillin and he told me that his grandmother used a recipe handed down form generation to generation in our family.

When someone was cut and it started getting infected he said, we just scraped the mold off of moldy bread and smeared it over the wound. We then covered it with clean cloth.

That method was used for hundreds of years but never documented. As our family comes from way up in the mountains and contact with people other than from the village was scarce. Fleming discovered penicillin from mold! But he had the ability to document his findings.

So much for my great-great grandmother’s healing methods after obtaining a sword wound that got infected.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I remember watching Rin-Tin-Tin in black and white back in the early 60's.
Bonanza too!

We watched them in Beirut!
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
502in62

Post by 502in62 »

The way I see it your as old as you feel. I feel like 40 (I really know better) but I do remember a few things way back when, like that milk that came in the glass bottles, those were delivered to our house in a horse drawn milk wagon. Then there were crystal radio's (my first radio) and the Green Hornet and the Inner Sanctum, on the radio. Decoder rings that you had to mail in for and then stand at the mail box everyday for a month to get. I'm glad I've lived 'em and glad I'm living long enough to have contact with men like you. :)
Speedracer

Post by Speedracer »

Slowpoke thanks for the memories

Was thinking of all the things I did as a kid…mine don’t have a clue now days

Gas was like .20 cents a gal
Soda was like .5 cents a bottle
Comic books about a dime
Cars were cars with pure power, Cuda, Road runner, Camaro, Mustang. Etc…
Use to ride my bike all over town, jump ramps like Evel Kinevel (crash just as bad)
Mini bikes were the shit
Show to watch, CBT, Twilight zone, lone Ranger,

Best part being a kid was fun
Tirehouse
Ranger

Post by Tirehouse »

HOLY FUCK YOU'RE ALL OLD!!!!!!
TFR Somalia
Kosovo KFOR3A, Iraq 2003-4 OIF 1, 08-10

Return to “The Mosh Pit”